Upsell - Is it a good deal

Hobbes67

We have a balcony midship on the Emerald 15 days roundtrip Hawaii.  They want $389pp for an upsell to a mini suite.  Is this a good deal, or not?  Seems like depending on where the cabin is it would be worth it for 15 days.

1 hour ago, suekel said:

If you can afford it  Usually they will give you a choice of a couple.  I might do it for a Club Class.  I paid $159 for the same but it was for a 10 day-non club class

When I've gotten upsell offers, I check the website and see what's available...then when Princess calls back, I tell the rep. where I want to be.

Snagged an amazing aft balcony on the Pacific for a reasonable charge. The balcony was going for 10K/pp at that time. We paid 3K for an inside. This was for a 17 day Panama.

6 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

When I've gotten upsell offers, I check the website and see what's available...then when Princess calls back, I tell the rep. where I want to be.

Snagged an amazing aft balcony on the Pacific for a reasonable charge. The balcony was going for 10K/pp at that time. We paid 3K for an inside. This was for a 17 day Panama.

You have GOT to be kidding! $3k for an inside on a 17 day panama canal cruise? $10k for a balcony??? Something is just not right here...

43 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You have GOT to be kidding! $3k for an inside on a 17 day panama canal cruise? $10k for a balcony??? Something is just not right here...

I'm thinking they must have meant they paid that much for a cabin. That's the normal rate for an inside for the Panama Canal once you add in taxes and fees. The balcony price seems really high, but once a category of cabins sells well and there are just a few left, the prices do skyrocket. 

Edited by geoherb

3 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

If you want to experience a suite go for it but for us not worth $ 778. For a full suite would consider

I agree it is a lot, but for 15 days I would rather have a little more room.  Of course this depends on where the cabin is.

24 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I'm thinking they must have meant they paid that much for a cabin. That's the normal rate for an inside for the Panama Canal once you add in taxes and fees. The balcony price seems really high, but once a category of cabins sells well and there are just a few left, the prices do skyrocket. 

Actually, balconies on our upcoming 19 day partial Panama Canal cruise are now waaaaaaaaaaay less than we are paying for our OV. Giving up our perks we would likely save a little bit if we switched to a balcony now. A balcony cabin for the 19 day cruise leaving November 18 is now down to $1,599 per person. (I just now checked.)

Edited by Thrak

4 hours ago, Hobbes67 said:

We have a balcony midship on the Emerald 15 days roundtrip Hawaii.  They want $389pp for an upsell to a mini suite.  Is this a good deal, or not?  Seems like depending on where the cabin is it would be worth it for 15 days.

Of course it is up to you to decide if it is worth $52/day for the upgrade for two people.

Personally, we would not use the extra space of a mini-suite enough to pay $52/day more.

Yeah, I don't know either. I know I have stuck with HAL in part because even insides (on the ships I've sailed) have a sofa plus a chair!

This last August (AK cruise), as the "leader" of a nine-person family group, I had so much stuff we never had more than a chair's worth of sofa to sit on, which got me to considering Princess for some unique itineraries...

ETA: I don't think you get "suite benefits" with a mini-suite... someone correct me if that's wrong.

EATA: as little as it is, also budget the extra $1pp/day gratuity for the mini-suite, if not included in a promotion.

Edited by crystalspin

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

I rounded off and from memory. Just looked up my current booking on the Pacific and we paid close to 3K pp for an obst. balcony after grabbing a price drop. Our original price for an inside was $2500. 

That 10K balcony was, again, on the Pacific and during the holidays. The Pacific is pricier than the other ships.

18 hours ago, Hobbes67 said:

I would take a hard pass on that offer.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:36 PM, Hobbes67 said:

Hi Neighbor!

It all depends on what it is worth to you! Where might you spend that $778? Spa? Cabana? Shore trips? 

Where to you like to spend your time on the many sea days? 

Tis a puzzlement! Good luck deciding!