Wine in checked baggage OOPS breakage ??

Valchie

I just want to add to the comments already made.  We have put dozens of wine bottles in our checked luggage over the years and have never had any break.  We wrap them in bubble wrap and surround them with clothing in the middle of the luggage. This way you can bring your favorite wine from home and not be at the mercy of what the supermarket or liquor store sells.

You don't really need any of these gadgets.   It's not that complicated.

If you put the wine in the center of the luggage  surrounded by clothes, it should be fine.

I have brought home many bottles of liquor this way and have never had an issue...

Thanks again for all of your information. Good to hear that there were only a couple of mishaps throughout the years and miles-well not for that poster that's for sure! Sounds like with careful packing I'll be just fine😄.

Sailing 3 weeks from today. Let the packing begin!!

I want to second the suggestion for the Wine Diaper.  It has absorbent pads (think disposable diaper) inside a sealed bag that protects the wine bottle.  If it should somehow break, the absorbent  wrap will prevent your clothes from being wrecked.  You can get a three pack on Amazon for 12 bucks.  If you have wine that you like, you should bring it.  Any shops that are open in the early hours are probably not going to have very good wine.  

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

On 11/3/2018 at 6:44 AM, island lady said:

I see wine in 7-11 stores all the time down here.  Not great wine...but wine indeed.

I stand corrected. There was no wine in the convenience store across the way from the hotel (Hyatt) nearest Port Everglades, so I jumped to conclusion it was a statewide condition.

We're not wine drinkers but we often buy liquor in certain ports to take home with us and when packing them in checked luggage we've had great success using "Jet Bags" aka "Wine Diapers" sold on Amazon. 👍

Not sure what port you are cruising from, but if it happens to be Port Everglades, there is a Total Wine in a small strip mall on 17th just minutes away from the port.  Several popular pre-cruise hotels are within a very short walking distance (We were in the Holiday Inn Express on 17th).  I bet they have at least 1 or 2 bottles you like in there 😉

dp

i do it all the time. 

I use the wine protectors that have two layers of bubble rap and go inside a sealed protector.

They have a zip lock at the bottom and then Velcro to make sure the seal holds.

Edited by shred5

While the state says alcohol can be purchased anytime it does vary by county.  Here in the panhandle most of the counties do not allow sales of alcohol(in stores) on Sundays until after 1pm.

If you are in Miami which is Miami-Dade county alcohol can be sold any day of the week 24 hours a day.  If you are cruising out of Port Everglades which is Broward county you can not purchase alcohol until after noon on Sundays.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, island lady said:

I see wine in 7-11 stores all the time down here.  Not great wine...but wine indeed.

Stop your whining. 😛 🍷

Publix is a great option for getting good to great wine. There are no limitations in Florida for buying it, but each county makes their own laws.

11 hours ago, DVC4US said:

If you are cruising out of Port Everglades which is Broward county you can not purchase alcohol until after noon on Sundays.

Edited by dreadpirate3

On 11/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, Lex1 said:

A bottle of wine would be way over the 3oz liquid limit for carry on luggage.

That said, according to this site beer and wine sales are permitted 24/7 in Miami; it's only hard liquor sales that have restricted hours.

On a flight, YES. We're talking about the carry on luggage before boarding the ship.

5 minutes ago, johnjen said:

On a flight, YES. We're talking about the carry on luggage before boarding the ship.

All beverages have to be in the carry on luggage to board the ship.  The OP was asking about putting bottles of wine in checked luggage for the flight and then transferring the bottles to the carry on luggage to board the ship.

• Thanks 1

A few years ago I purchased from Amazon a 4 pack of reusable wine bottle protector bags.  They are triple zip lock at the bottom.  So far, they have worked very well for me (for wine or liquor).  And they take up no space in case I don't use them all. (Also, I'm not the most careful when I'm going home to situate it correctly and I overstuff suitcases - and, to-date, no messes yet at least).

Adding my 2 cents.  Tampa \ Majesty. 

I checked 2 bottles in my luggage (wrapped in a towel) and they were fine.  Friends carried on one bottle in their checked bag and it was fine.  Which port probably makes a big difference as to what they allow and how bags are treated.

Actually I believe it is a new policy by RC, Just saw it in one of their new blog video. I have put it in my checked luggage before too.

I also believe they added a 15.00 corkage fee now for the dining room or public area..

I just looked and it has been added to website.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/charge-corkage-fee

RC is really starting to nickle and dime everyone.

Edited by shred5

11 hours ago, shred5 said:

Actually I believe it is a new policy by RC, Just saw it in one of their new blog video. I have put it in my checked luggage before too.

I also believe they added a 15.00 corkage fee now for the dining room or public area..

RC is really starting to nickle and dime everyone.

Corkage has been in effect for well over a year now.

Only charged if you bring the BOTTLE into the dining room.  If you full your glass and bring it, there is no fee.

That said, most people (myself included) have reported that they were not charged any corkage fee (twice for us, we brought a bottle and there was no fee).

We have flown with wine and had no problem. But...we had a cork pop on our last trip bc of the pressure. And 2 more almost popped. it was no problem bc they were in their own hard side with just towels.And it is impossible that you are arriving to early to buy wine. Publix opens at 7am , has a stellar selection and the law has been changed that they now sell on Sundays at 7am in Broward and Dade counties. So unless its a special bottle, you can grab it at Publix.

12 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

We have flown with wine and had no problem. But...we had a cork pop on our last trip bc of the pressure. And 2 more almost popped. it was no problem bc they were in their own hard side with just towels.

Those were some loose corks.  Or fermentation pressurized the bottle.

Max airplane pressure differential is about 11 psi (0.75 bar).

Wine cork is about 1.18 square inches, so about 13 pounds of force.

Edited by SRF