Adjoining Rooms - what's the problem?

SandraLee

I'm looking to switch to a balcony room that has the bed by the bathrooms.  The only one I can find in the right location is an adjoining room.  Oasis 12712 - What do people not like? 

Also, can someone confirm that this is a bed by bathroom?  And, that 12715 is also bed by bathroom.

What about 11716 and 11719?

Edited by SandraLee

34 minutes ago, SandraLee said:

I'm looking to switch to a balcony room that has the bed by the bathrooms.  The only one I can find in the right location is an adjoining room.  Oasis 12712 - What do people not like? 

Also, can someone confirm that this is a bed by bathroom?  And, that 12715 is also bed by bathroom.

What about 11716 and 11719?

12712 bed is by balcony

12715 bed is by balcony

11716 bed is by balcony

11719 bed is by balcony

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Hi I am also interested as we just booked an adjoining room on Harmony on deck 7 (room 7436) it was either that or room 7452 which I didn’t consider thinking that this was too near to the main elevators.

we weren’t give much choice by our TA it was take it or book a cabin 225€ more expensive.

do you think we’d be better with 7452?

Many  people like a cabin close to the elevators. Much less walking to do.  Elevators on RC ships are separated from cabins in their own alcove/lobby area. Cabins are not that close - they are in a separate hallway. 

Suggest looking at deck plans. I am usually more concerned about what is above or below my cabin. 

Adjoining cabins are next door to each other. Connecting cabins have an interior door that can be unlocked and opened for people to move freely from cabin to cabin without going out to the hallway. 

I have had an issue with the connecting door being opened on embarkation day by the strangers in the connecting room.  Then we had to listen to the female stranger loudly berating the steward and other crew members on a daily basis.  I look for non-connecting cabins close to the elevator with cabins above and below.  I also avoid booking cabins next to cabins that hold four people after a weekend on the Majesty with the kids next door screaming, fighting, and kicking our shared wall.

2 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I have had an issue with the connecting door being opened on embarkation day by the strangers in the connecting room.  Then we had to listen to the female stranger loudly berating the steward and other crew members on a daily basis.  I look for non-connecting cabins close to the elevator with cabins above and below.  I also avoid booking cabins next to cabins that hold four people after a weekend on the Majesty with the kids next door screaming, fighting, and kicking our shared wall.

How did they open the connecting door?  I thought the cabin steward had to unlock it.  I would be livid if I came to my room and found the connecting door open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

12712 bed is by balcony

12715 bed is by balcony

11716 bed is by balcony

11719 bed is by balcony

Well l, that is a bummer.  Still looking for bed by bathroom choices.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, SandraLee said:

Well l, that is a bummer.  Still looking for bed by bathroom choices.

Thanks

Find any balcony that holds more than 2 guests. It will have the bed by the bath. Cabins alternate between by the bath and by the balcony. Every other cabin will be by the bath. 

Just now, voyager70 said:

How did they open the connecting door?  I thought the cabin steward had to unlock it.  I would be livid if I came to my room and found the connecting door open.

The door was unlocked.  The beds in our cabin were separated instead of together, and my companion was napping on the bed just to the left of the door.  I was sitting on the other bed that was hidden from view by the opened door, so I saw the man staring incredulously at my sleeping companion although he didn’t see me.  The slamming door woke my companion.  We were upset, but felt bad for the crew since it happened to seemingly miserable, disgruntled passengers who spent the entire cruise loudly and rudely complaining about everything; they did provide something to complain about by not locking that door.

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

The door was unlocked.  The beds in our cabin were separated instead of together, and my companion was napping on the bed just to the left of the door.  I was sitting on the other bed that was hidden from view by the opened door, so I saw the man staring incredulously at my sleeping companion although he didn’t see me.  The slamming door woke my companion.  We were upset, but felt bad for the crew since it happened to seemingly miserable, disgruntled passengers who spent the entire cruise loudly and rudely complaining about everything; they did provide something to complain about by not locking that door.

Wow that's creepy.  I would have felt bad for the crew as well having to deal with people like that.

2 hours ago, sherrjo said:

Hi I am also interested as we just booked an adjoining room on Harmony on deck 7 (room 7436) it was either that or room 7452 which I didn’t consider thinking that this was too near to the main elevators.

we weren’t give much choice by our TA it was take it or book a cabin 225€ more expensive.

do you think we’d be better with 7452?

I would prefer 7452.  You won't hear any elevator noise

3 hours ago, SandraLee said:

Hi SandraLee ☺️

The chance for potential noise is certainly greater. I also avoid cabins that are next to connecting cabins.

When in doubt, don't. 

Have a terrific sailing!

☺️

8 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

We've been in a connecting room 4-5 times and never heard a sound from next door.  I'm sure if there are loud neighbors more sound could come thru the doors, but it hasn't happened to us.

Thanks for the helpful tip bouhunter. We were on a cruise during the summer and the seats between port and starboard near the elevators were a favourite haunt of noisey teenagers playing loud music. Yes people complained and they were moved but only to be replaced by a different group. We were lucky that Indy fitted doors (although kids left them open) between the rooms and the central evevators however just being close to this central passage scares me. I think we’ll stick with the connecting and hope for good neighbours since the room next door will be for 2 people, how loud can they be lol

4 hours ago, spookwife said:

problems include  . . . a  chair instead of a couch.  

Is this always the case on the Symphony?  We had planned on letting our 7 year old grandson sleep on the couch in our 2 person cabin (12684) which connects to 12682, where the 7 year old, his mother, dad, and teenage sister are booked.  I know that 12682 has a sofa bed, but can anyone verify that 12684 will have a sofa instead of a chair?  I know it wouldn't make into a bed, but we definitely need a couch and not a chair.

Edited by lindalo5032
correction

In a hotel that had adjoining rooms, not a cruise cabin. I was laying in bed working on my laptop when I hear someone trying to open the adjoining door. I get up and start listening and a woman is discussing with someone else where this door leads to and what it is for. She keeps trying really hard to open it for about a minute and made the comment on how it was creepy. I leaned up really close to the crack in the door and just after she said to her companion, but where does it go. I whispered loudly into the crack, it goes to my room. She yelled, oh S**T and I did not hear another sound from that room. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, asalligo said:

In a hotel that had adjoining rooms, not a cruise cabin. I was laying in bed working on my laptop when I hear someone trying to open the adjoining door. I get up and start listening and a woman is discussing with someone else where this door leads to and what it is for. She keeps trying really hard to open it for about a minute and made the comment on how it was creepy. I leaned up really close to the crack in the door and just after she said to her companion, but where does it go. I whispered loudly into the crack, it goes to my room. She yelled, oh S**T and I did not hear another sound from that room. 

That's too funny!  

7 hours ago, lindalo5032 said:

Is this always the case on the Symphony?  We had planned on letting our 7 year old grandson sleep on the couch in our 2 person cabin (12684) which connects to 12682, where the 7 year old, his mother, dad, and teenage sister are booked.  I know that 12682 has a sofa bed, but can anyone verify that 12684 will have a sofa instead of a chair?  I know it wouldn't make into a bed, but we definitely need a couch and not a chair.

12684 will have a sofa.  It is rare on Oasis class ships to have a char as the connecting door is in the short hallway when you enter the cabin and does not affect the sofa.  The onl6 times on Oasis class ships that you might get a chair is where you have a balcony connecting to a suite or accessible cabin.

The chair situation is more prevalent on other classes of ships.