How to Search threads?

Hi,

before they revamped the site, I used to search specific threads, for instance Carnival only or NCL only. Now if I put something in the search field it returns results for ALL threads. Am I overlooking something? When the app worked I could also search this way too. Miss the app :(, it worked so well.

As @tallnthensome mentioned, there is a help section to this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/859-need-help-check-here/

But as @CruisinCrow mentioned, you just need to select the appropriate options when you click into the search field.  You can also select whether the search looks at entire posts (default) or just titles.  It is different, but not any more difficult than other search engines.

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

lol i wrote a review last night and maybe I didnt put it as write a review and now cant find my own review. Maybe it was deleted for being in the wrong format? Search for myself ... I know what ya all mean

Very easy to find your own posts. 

On desktop, click username upper right of window and click Profile. All posts are listed from most recent back. If you are looking at one of your posts, hover the cursor over your avatar then click Find Content bottom left of the popup window.

On mobile, tap page banner (blue) menu (3 horizontal lines), select Account, then Profile. Scroll down to see your posts.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

lol i wrote a review last night and maybe I didnt put it as write a review and now cant find my own review. Maybe it was deleted for being in the wrong format? Search for myself ... I know what ya all mean

You posted it on First Time Cruisers instead of the Carnival Board.  

Edited by Essiesmom

Just now, Essiesmom said:

You posted it on Ask a Cruise Question instead of the Carnival Board.  

In which case, click on Report Post (appears in upper right corner of post when hovering over it), and as moderator to move the thread. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, CruisinCrow said:

I agree the new Search function is unwieldy.

When you click in the Search box, a drop down box will pop up.  Make sure you select "This Forum" instead of "Everywhere". 

image.png.b7185a12b4cd02a4b67dea7826a1b7ae.png

Thank you. This does appear when I use my PC to search. But using my phone, this is what I get, any ideas? I don’t get “this forum” option. 

734444BC-9E90-4BB0-84BF-423656E51484.png

1 minute ago, KarimaJ said:

Thank you. This does appear when I use my PC to search. But using my phone, this is what I get, any ideas? I don’t get “this forum” option. 

You are correct. You cannot get to it.  We reported this back on the Bugs & Glitches forum, but I don't know if it made the list.

Edited by POA1

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

As @tallnthensome mentioned, there is a help section to this forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/859-need-help-check-here/

But as @CruisinCrow mentioned, you just need to select the appropriate options when you click into the search field.  You can also select whether the search looks at entire posts (default) or just titles.  It is different, but not any more difficult than other search engines.

You cannot select Search This Forum on the mobile version of the site. It's not an option.

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You are correct. You cannot get to it.  We reported this back on the Bugs & Glitches forum, but I don't know if it made the list.

That's crazy!  I hope they fix it.  Sorry, I didn't know it doesn't work on cell phones because I always use a desktop.

5 minutes ago, KarimaJ said:

Ok that explains it, but it stinks. The site takes longer to use and load, so used to the quick app. Hope they hurry up with that, I hardly use this anymore 🙁🙁

My wife stopped using CC completely and she was good for at least 4 or 5 days a week. From what I've been able to observe, the posting volume is way down.

I've figured out how to do most things on my phone (except for things like search within a forum that are impossible) but it's definitely more tedious.  I can only imagine what it's doing to the advertising revenues.

Just now, CruisinCrow said:

That's crazy!  I hope they fix it.  Sorry, I didn't know it doesn't work on cell phones because I always use a desktop.

That's OK. It's understandable that you didn't know. You'd only notice it if you took your desktop browser and resized it or if you used developer mode and checked various screen sizes. That's not something the average user would do.

1 minute ago, CruisinCrow said:

Topic search does work on mobiles as the following demonstrates. So it is utterly baffling that what appears to be a simple menu change to make desktop and mobile agree has not been made.

Very kludgy workaround. In the top, look in the address bar and note the number that immediately follows /topic/. It is 2607341 in this thread. Then, in the address bar type in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=searchText&type=forums_topic&item=topicNumber. Where searchText is what you are looking for, use %20 in place of spaces and topicNumber is the previously mentined number.

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

Topic search does work on mobiles as the following demonstrates. So it is utterly baffling that what appears to be a simple menu change to make desktop and mobile agree has not been made.

Very kludgy workaround. In the top, look in the address bar and note the number that immediately follows /topic/. It is 2607341 in this thread. Then, in the address bar type in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=searchText&type=forums_topic&item=topicNumber. Where searchText is what you are looking for, use %20 in place of spaces and topicNumber is the previously mentined number.

The switch (in the URL) for limiting a search to a particular forum or board is

&nodes=XXX where XXX is the forum node number. For example, this forum's node is 859

The node search is what restricts you to a forum.  If you want to search multiple forums, you separate the node numbers by commas.  For example &nodes=859,103 searches this forum and Holland America because the HAL board is 103.

Edited by POA1

36 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You cannot select Search This Forum on the mobile version of the site. It's not an option.

Ah, got it.  I, like others, tend to use only the desktop version.  I'm distracted enough on my phone with FB and BBC News, I've resisted the temptation to load the mobile version of CC!

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

Roughly thirteen million cruise passengers used the Ports of Miami, Canaveral, and Everglades last year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_busiest_cruise_ports_by_passengers. Even if only 20% travelled with bc and photo id, "millions" would be an accurate characterization.

Did you mean to post this here?  The discussion is about how to search threads.

Edited by Shmoo here