Using credit cars

My husband travels internationally for work and at times he has not been able use a credit card, there have even been airports that won't take credit cards...which is really weird because we rarely use cash.  We are wondering about NZ and Australia...are there places we cannot use a credit card?  What types of things would we need cash for? We have heard tipping is not customary, so we'd not need as much for that as we would in other places?  I also saw something on here (I think it was here) that said it was easy to get cash changed over in country rather than before...is that accurate?  

Sometimes places don’t accept dinners club (if it still exist) and American Express because of The fees. Master card and Visa card can be used anywhere.

But  I like cash,what’s the old saying. In god we trust,all others pay cash.

For your cash just go to a ATM when you get here.

No we don’t tip ,we pay a decent minimum wage.

Edited by Chiliburn

Pretty much agree with the answer Chiliburn gave, there are a lot of money change booths around the cities, but usually exchange isn’t great.

youll probably need a bit of walking around cash, but just use an ATM when you arrive. If you have a debit card most shops will even give cash with a purchase.

if you don’t have one already ask your avpnk about a chip and pin card, it will save you time.

Ok so sounds like we can use a credit card fairly easily then.  We don't use American Express or dinners club cards due to many places not taking them.  Even not using those, my husband has had to use cash in some EURO states as they won't take a CC...even in airports at times, which really surprised us.  

We don't use ATM or debit cards....I see that would make getting cash easier.  Our friends had a terrible time visiting the Maritime Providences...was impossible to use a debit card and they had some very challenging experiences paying for things.  

Some hotels will even give you a small cash out.

The reason I think you need some “walking around cash” is some places still have a minimum purchase to use a card, so if you want just a coffee or soft drink Soda) they might not take a credit card.

2 hours ago, Dobby_The_Ship_Elf said:

I currently drive a credit car .................... well it seems like it sometimes!!

I'll get my coat

That would explain the financial crash ... booom tish.

as has been said, some walking around money for small purchases, vending machines, buskers, etc.

micro chip cards with a PIN are very important, as few places will process otherwise.

Edited by Docker123

I don’t know why you wouldn’t use a ATM ?

With debit card you can get money out when you shop at a supermarket but you can’t with a credit card,from my experience.

So if you only use a credit card and don’t use a ATM you would have to make a cash advance from a bank or a money exchange. A bit expensive.

Can I ask what kind of credit card,if it’s MasterCard or visa you will have no problem.

But if it’s some odd one ?

45 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Discover card is very common in the US, but we found places in the Med. that don't take it.  EM

Discover,city bank aren’t really popular in Australia.

As said master card visa.

But Banks will take about any card.

Don’t worry we aren’t a third world country and some how we will get your money.LOL

ATM's are plentiful in NZ and Aussie and readily found in airports, at banks and in and around shopping malls and supermarkets.  You can use your card in ATM's to draw cash.  The downside is that the credit card company will start charging you interest straightaway on cash withdrawals.  For small amounts over a few weeks this will not amount to much, but you can get around this by loading up your card with some credit.  Remember here that any purchases you make on the card will also eat into this credit so you have to estimate what charges you will put on your card while away from home.  Banks don't pay much interest these days so a tidy sum deposited in your credit card will not cost you much in missed bank interest and you can draw it out again when you get home or just let it get used up.

We just have the ANZ Platinum Visa (linked to Qantas FF), used it world over, no worries.    Also a ANZ Debit card to draw out money from 'The Hole in the Wall' the world over.  It is a 'Plastic World' these days, is it not?

Edited by NSWP

Absolutely....this is a plastic world, and I'm thankful for that. Again, there has only been one place in Europe we were not able to use a credit card and had to use cash.  Our credit cards are all major credit cards accepted world wide.  That was not the issue, they did not accept any credit cards, even at the airport.  It is possible that country was just dealing with some issue that has now been resolved.  

I had a good conversation with our bank this morning and I think we've decided to just take some cash for NZ and some for Australia with us. We can use our credit card in case of emergency and we need more out, (and whoever it was who said we could use credit card to do that also, is right, not just a debit card,) but for us it's so easy for our bank to give it to us.  Also, the bank cost is almost nothing, and they pointed out to me that the cost for using ATM's would exceed what it cost to just take the cash.  I'm sure I'll have no problem spending what we take. (😉) I have my heart set on bringing back something wool from one of the sheep farms!  

8 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Absolutely....this is a plastic world, and I'm thankful for that. Again, there has only been one place in Europe we were not able to use a credit card and had to use cash.  Our credit cards are all major credit cards accepted world wide.  That was not the issue, they did not accept any credit cards, even at the airport.  It is possible that country was just dealing with some issue that has now been resolved.  

I had a good conversation with our bank this morning and I think we've decided to just take some cash for NZ and some for Australia with us. We can use our credit card in case of emergency and we need more out, (and whoever it was who said we could use credit card to do that also, is right, not just a debit card,) but for us it's so easy for our bank to give it to us.  Also, the bank cost is almost nothing, and they pointed out to me that the cost for using ATM's would exceed what it cost to just take the cash.  I'm sure I'll have no problem spending what we take. (😉) I have my heart set on bringing back something wool from one of the sheep farms!  

Yes they will find some way to take your money ,have a good trip.

5 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

While you are in NZ, I suggest you have a look at products made from a combination of wool and possum fur. They are very soft and warm (and gorgeous) but a bit expensive.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

While you are in NZ, I suggest you have a look at products made from a combination of wool and possum fur. They are very soft and warm (and gorgeous) but a bit expensive.

Mrs G bought a wool/possum jumper, Dunedin if memory serves, says it’s the warmest she has ever owned.