RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

38 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

I'm watching this thread and learning about the Royal Up program. It might be explained in the 200++ pages on this topic, but correct me if I am wrong here...

Pre-Covid, ships would almost always sail (almost)full - no extra cabins.  But, I BELIEVE that they are limiting the occupancy to a % of full (guessing 50-60%??), so there are empty cabins on every sailing.   So now, the cruiseline is trying to fill all the high end cabins to pick up the extra revenue. Of course, they would rather sell them at the book value, so they hold off on all the Royal Up bids until very late (within days of the sailing?), then they go through and grab the Royal Up bids for the extra cash.  

We have a spacious balcony on the FOS on March 14, and 10 days ago I got the Royal Up Email, so I bid about twice the minimum bid for a JS, OS, GS, and Royal Suite (went a little higher than double here).  

Something like that?? 

We do not know what capacity goals might be by April.

I agree with another poster…bid based upon what the cabin upgrade is worth to you.  Also, stop and think to be sure you really want everything for which you bid.  For example, if hypothetically a full suite is the only upgrade that will make a certain person truly happy, that person probably should not even bid on a JS.  In other words be mindful of the old saying: be careful what you ask for you might just get it…and in this case getting it might knock you out if contention for the upgrade you really want.  Assuming any of those upgrades would please you, if your bids sound good to you they sound good to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

For example, if hypothetically a full suite is the only upgrade that will make a certain person truly happy, that person probably should not even bid on a JS.

I agree. I think this is a very valid point. I, for example, probably wouldn't bother bidding to go from a balcony cabin to a JS because it's essentially just a bigger room and I spend so little time in my room anyway, but I would consider bidding on a GS on certain ships because of the perks that come with it.

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

I agree. I think this is a very valid point. I, for example, probably wouldn't bother bidding to go from a balcony cabin to a JS because it's essentially just a bigger room and I spend so little time in my room anyway, but I would consider bidding on a GS on certain ships because of the perks that come with it.

The junior suite is so much bigger and more comfortable then a balcony cabin- if not very expensive a decent upgrade.  Also depends on the ship. If the adventure of the seas- well worth it- as no suite dining room and the lounge a make shift room.  No suite deck either- why not be more comfortable?

25 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

The junior suite is so much bigger and more comfortable then a balcony cabin- if not very expensive a decent upgrade.  Also depends on the ship. If the adventure of the seas- well worth it- as no suite dining room and the lounge a make shift room.  No suite deck either- why not be more comfortable?

Oh yes, I do totally understand that it would be very worth it to someone who spends time in their room. I just agree with the other poster that you should think carefully before you bid so you can be sure you're bidding on something that will genuinely be of value to you.

Hey team!

Its been a while between cruises for me but I am booked on Wonder of the Seas on the 8th of April. Any indication on how full the boats have been lately. I imagine the newest shiniest boat will be at capacity?

I got my Royal up email yesterday and bid on everything! 

If I win the two bedroom Aqua room. That is "star" class it indicates that I will get the Ultimate dining and beverage package included. If I have already bought them will I get my money back?

Thanks

JJJrcl.thumb.JPG.d5fb9386c52c6d9e706441b13a678c9e.JPG

28 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoe said:

Hey team!

Its been a while between cruises for me but I am booked on Wonder of the Seas on the 8th of April. Any indication on how full the boats have been lately. I imagine the newest shiniest boat will be at capacity?

If I win the two bedroom Aqua room. That is "star" class it indicates that I will get the Ultimate dining and beverage package included. If I have already bought them will I get my money back?

Thanks

Yes you will.  If you are notified more than a day in advance cancel your packages and credit cards will be refunded takes a few days and up to a week.  If you are notified right before sailing, then the genie will be able to assist you.  Also if you prepaid gratuities they will reimburse as well.  But don’t forget average genie tips are $500-$700 dollars is good range and most tip cabin steward and specialty restaurant servers extra as well.  Obviously not a written rule but please take care of service providers accordingly .  Remember most of these rooms go for around 20k a week or more.  Royal up is usually a discounted way of getting there and the money isn’t built in the same as a fare paying customer.

7 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoe said:

Hey team!

Thanks

What was your minimum/maximum bid amounts for the 2BR aqua suite? 

has anyone seen this when bidding?  I am on the 2/26 Symphony sailing.  Currently have a boardwalk balcony cabin.  I have minimum bids on a JS, a spacious OV balcony, and an ultra spacious oceanview balcony.  I can adjust the JS and Ultra.  Get this message for the spacious.  I haven't seen this before.  I am 0 for 3 on these post covid sailings with bids as I bid the least amount.  I have been getting notified my bid was denied when sitting at the Windjammer for breakfast on day 2.  I haven't seen this inability to adjust one bid.  All my bids are pending.

Screenshot_20220211-160159_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

has anyone seen this when bidding?  I am on the 2/26 Symphony sailing.  Currently have a boardwalk balcony cabin.  I have minimum bids on a JS, a spacious OV balcony, and an ultra spacious oceanview balcony.  I can adjust the JS and Ultra.  Get this message for the spacious.  I haven't seen this before.  I am 0 for 3 on these post covid sailings with bids as I bid the least amount.  I have been getting notified my bid was denied when sitting at the Windjammer for breakfast on day 2.  I haven't seen this inability to adjust one bid.  All my bids are pending.

I have not seen that.  Are you using a phone or a computer?    

Sometimes I have had trouble modifying bids from my phone; my computer browser always seems to works without any frustration.  So, maybe switch device or browser and see if that helps.

38 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I have not seen that.  Are you using a phone or a computer?    

Sometimes I have had trouble modifying bids from my phone; my computer browser always seems to works without any frustration.  So, maybe switch device or browser and see if that helps.

phone.  

I did try my tablet and noticed the lowest bid changed from $125 pp to $175pp.  Unfortunately, I clicked on it and now that's my bid!  But at least I can figure out what happened.  And granted, $100 isnt a big deal especially when I wont get it anyway.

9 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

phone.  

I did try my tablet and noticed the lowest bid changed from $125 pp to $175pp.  Unfortunately, I clicked on it and now that's my bid!  But at least I can figure out what happened.  And granted, $100 isnt a big deal especially when I wont get it anyway.

Oh, was there previously a “sale” with lower minimum bids on that cabin for your cruise?  And I suppose if the current minimum bid is now higher, perhaps you must meet that new minimum if you adjust your bid.

59 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Oh, was there previously a “sale” with lower minimum bids on that cabin for your cruise?  And I suppose if the current minimum bid is now higher, perhaps you must meet that new minimum if you adjust your bid.

yep.  1st time experience with this "sale".

9 hours ago, jean87510 said:

No, but that is the Company that does the RoyalUps. It's not RCI.

Theoretical question mostly. Currently we are 2 ppl booked in a balcony and Royal Up opened up. IF I bid and get a suite and THEN someone decides to join.. would we be able to add a third person supplement to add the person to the booking? (all this is very theoretical of course and would only work if the Royal Up was accepted at least a week out).

A second question - I know that on some cruises Royal Up sales go out very close to departure date and even on the morning of. If I bid and then a sale goes live, do I miss out on the lower price possibility? I'm really considering doing an upgrade but don't know if I should wait a bit more to bid. Cruise is mid April. Appreciate any feedback!

1 hour ago, seasidemama said:

Theoretical question mostly. Currently we are 2 ppl booked in a balcony and Royal Up opened up. IF I bid and get a suite and THEN someone decides to join.. would we be able to add a third person supplement to add the person to the booking? (all this is very theoretical of course and would only work if the Royal Up was accepted at least a week out).

A second question - I know that on some cruises Royal Up sales go out very close to departure date and even on the morning of. If I bid and then a sale goes live, do I miss out on the lower price possibility? I'm really considering doing an upgrade but don't know if I should wait a bit more to bid. Cruise is mid April. Appreciate any feedback!

If you add another person after you win--they will reprice you at the current rate.  Not sure what you mean about a 'sale going live'.  I think you are confusing that with the fact that sometimes they don't notify those with winning bids until right before/day of a sailing.  Just like sometimes you don't get the email letting you know you didn't win until you're already on the ship.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rockmom said:

If you add another person after you win--they will reprice you at the current rate.  Not sure what you mean about a 'sale going live'.  I think you are confusing that with the fact that sometimes they don't notify those with winning bids until right before/day of a sailing.  Just like sometimes you don't get the email letting you know you didn't win until you're already on the ship.  

What I meat by sale going live is when they send the Royal Up notice that starting bid prices are lower than before when Royal Up initially offered.  I was booked on a January sailing which I cancelled 45 days before the sailing date. There was some disconnect between Royal Up and RCCL and after I cancelled, I still received the Royal Up offer and was able to look at the bid page. On the morning of the sailing (still cancelled on my booking) I received yet another Royal Up email telling me bidding is still open and they have a sale where starting bid is 50% less. I clicked through just because I was curious and indeed the starting bids were half of what they were before.

I am really tempted to put in a bid for my April sailing, but would hate to have my bid accepted and then see that I could have bid half the amount.. 

3 minutes ago, seasidemama said:

What I meat by sale going live is when they send the Royal Up notice that starting bid prices are lower than before when Royal Up initially offered.  I was booked on a January sailing which I cancelled 45 days before the sailing date. There was some disconnect between Royal Up and RCCL and after I cancelled, I still received the Royal Up offer and was able to look at the bid page. On the morning of the sailing (still cancelled on my booking) I received yet another Royal Up email telling me bidding is still open and they have a sale where starting bid is 50% less. I clicked through just because I was curious and indeed the starting bids were half of what they were before.

I am really tempted to put in a bid for my April sailing, but would hate to have my bid accepted and then see that I could have bid half the amount.. 

Unless they have already accepted or locked in your bid, you may modify the or cancel a bid, so you could modify your bid if they lower the minimum bid.

You will need to decide how much the potential upgrade is worth to you; if that number is higher than the minimum, then bid.   If not, wait and see if the minimum is lowered.  Those are, after all, just starting bids; one cannot know how many cabins will be available or what bids others will submit 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Unless they have already accepted or locked in your bid, you may modify the or cancel a bid, so you could modify your bid if they lower the minimum bid.

You will need to decide how much the potential upgrade is worth to you; if that number is higher than the minimum, then bid.   If not, wait and see if the minimum is lowered.  Those are, after all, just starting bids; one cannot know how many cabins will be available or what bids others will submit 

You are right about not knowing. I'll probably bid a bit over minimum at the full bidding price starting point. Happy with my cabin now so will not be overly disappointed if it's not accepted. 

1 hour ago, seasidemama said:

I am really tempted to put in a bid for my April sailing, but would hate to have my bid accepted and then see that I could have bid half the amount.

I've only seen that half-off "sale" one time, just recently.  It's not something that happens regularly.  I think it was rolled out because so many people were cancelling b/c of Omicron, and they were trying to get every last dime out of the few people who were cruising.