Uber charge more than quoted?

compozer

We used Uber when we arrived in FLL before our cruise to the hotel, to the cruise ship,  back to the hotel and finally back to the airport yesterday.   The app quoted a price, I requested it, he arrived in 5 minutes and took us directly to the airport.  When we arrived in Atlanta, I looked at the receipt that had been emailed to me.   It was $3.50 more than the quote.   Then I looked in my pending charges and there were two -  the original quote was there along with the higher one.   That never happened before.   This morning I received an alert that the higher price one moved to a charge.   I called AMEX  and she said sometimes the price goes up if they have to wait for you.  I said I noticed now there was a note saying they charge by the minute if they have to wait for you.   But we were waiting in front of the hotel and the driveway was empty when he pulled up.  She said AMEX would issue me a refund.  That is fine but they are not going to contact the company about the difference.   I would like to know why they charged me more.   Is this something that happens often?    The lower charge is still in my pending file so not sure what is up with that.  

I also noticed that prices are about a third to half more than what we paid a year ago down there.   And the price was higher going back to the airport from the hotel than it was  going airport to the hotel.  And there is always so much confusion when they pick you up at the terminal.   Every cruise, they seem to go to the wrong terminal.   And all of a sudden, there is a different  car and the time increases and we watch it almost going around in circles.   And every driver has never taken anyone to the Embassy Suites - they all turned a block before and tried to enter from the back.  They follow their gps.   They all have over 1700 rides.

So has anyone else been charged more than they were quoted??     thanks

For us, the price going from the same point "A" to the same point "B" is not always the same.  It depends on the time, and the demand at that specific time.   As far as charging to wait, once we were in the lobby of the hotel and not out in front because it was raining and the Uber driver left because we were "not out there waiting for him".  We were charged, but I contacted Uber and explained and they reversed the charge. But to answer your question about being charged more than quoted, no...that's never happened to us and we use Uber frequently.

I’ve certainly experienced the price variability where going from point a to point b today is a different price than going from point b to point a tomorrow. And I’ve had that difference be dramatic, like the return trip was more than double the original trip. But I have not ever been charged more than the quoted price.

Edited by sanger727

I have not contacted Uber yet.   The lower charge is still in my pending box.  I am waiting to see what happens to it.    The trip was 8:45 in the morning, no traffic.  As I said before, he was only 5 minutes away when I confirmed the pickup and arrived within 5 minutes.   No traffic, no tolls.  The fastest trip to the airport ever.

Just like a taxi, Uber charges by time and distance.  If the route changes due to traffic or whatever, the charge could go up.

If there is traffic, and it takes longer, the charge could go up.  The estimate is an estimate, not a firm fixed price.

Also, I have found Uber prices to have gone sky high.  They seem to be pushing you to a shared ride.

I typically use Lyft now.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:27 AM, marco said:

For us, the price going from the same point "A" to the same point "B" is not always the same.  It depends on the time, and the demand at that specific time.   As far as charging to wait, once we were in the lobby of the hotel and not out in front because it was raining and the Uber driver left because we were "not out there waiting for him".  We were charged, but I contacted Uber and explained and they reversed the charge. But to answer your question about being charged more than quoted, no...that's never happened to us and we use Uber frequently.

Fee will vary depending on supply/demand, especially at places like airports.  If demand is high, Uber's algorithm will increase fees to draw more drivers to the area.  

Like you we have never experienced a charge different from the original quote.  

No....it hasn't.  If we look up today what it might cost to go from "A" to "B", but don't book it, but tomorrow we do look it up and book it, the price might be different from the price we saw yesterday, but once we book it at the price quoted and travel...no the cost has always been what we were quoted.

Edited by marco

Yes, this happened to us in FLL. Requested uber from FLL to a Miami hotel. Not a peak time, driver did not have to wait, just a straight, easy drive from airport to hotel. The charge was $20+ more that the quote. The app showed the charge immediately after we were dropped off. I then, immediately, contacted uber and they refunded the difference. 

OP: Keep in mind that AMX will change you the higher price after they contact UBER and they say that it was.  Did you tell AMX to charge you the lower amount?  Or are you trying to creat the driver out of a fair? 

What did you tell AMX?????  

On 11/28/2018 at 9:30 PM, compozer said:

We used Uber when we arrived in FLL before our cruise to the hotel, to the cruise ship,  back to the hotel and finally back to the airport yesterday.   The app quoted a price, I requested it, he arrived in 5 minutes and took us directly to the airport.  When we arrived in Atlanta, I looked at the receipt that had been emailed to me.   It was $3.50 more than the quote.   Then I looked in my pending charges and there were two -  the original quote was there along with the higher one.   That never happened before.   This morning I received an alert that the higher price one moved to a charge.   I called AMEX  and she said sometimes the price goes up if they have to wait for you.  I said I noticed now there was a note saying they charge by the minute if they have to wait for you.   But we were waiting in front of the hotel and the driveway was empty when he pulled up.  She said AMEX would issue me a refund.  That is fine but they are not going to contact the company about the difference.   I would like to know why they charged me more.   Is this something that happens often?    The lower charge is still in my pending file so not sure what is up with that.  

I also noticed that prices are about a third to half more than what we paid a year ago down there.   And the price was higher going back to the airport from the hotel than it was  going airport to the hotel.  And there is always so much confusion when they pick you up at the terminal.   Every cruise, they seem to go to the wrong terminal.   And all of a sudden, there is a different  car and the time increases and we watch it almost going around in circles.   And every driver has never taken anyone to the Embassy Suites - they all turned a block before and tried to enter from the back.  They follow their gps.   They all have over 1700 rides.

So has anyone else been charged more than they were quoted??     thanks

I have been EVERY time I have used Uber.  And it's ALWAYS the notation 'wait time'.  They have driven RIGHT by me as I step toward the car and wave when it enters our complex, they still drive by me and turn around and come back and stop.  And increase my charges.  

We've only used Uber twice, both on our recent cruise out of Port Everglades.  The trip from our Miami hotel to the port was quoted a price and that price did not change, even though we had a very long wait in line to get through the security to the port.

I guess we were lucky!  We were also able to use the first time users discount (one for us, one for my sister) which made one trip free and the other quite low cost.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:59 PM, Donray said:

OP: Keep in mind that AMX will change you the higher price after they contact UBER and they say that it was.  Did you tell AMX to charge you the lower amount?  Or are you trying to creat the driver out of a fair? 

What did you tell AMX?????  

I called AMEX because I was charged more than the amount on my phone app.  Later in the day of travel, I received two charges.   One for the amount quoted on the app and a higher one.    AMEX said no problem and they would refund the difference and they did.  The second charge stayed in my pending file for one week.

creat ?

are you asking if I tried to cheat the driver out of a fare?      I was quoted a rate and accepted it at that price.   As I stated, it was the fastest trip to the airport we have ever had,  without any stop lights, or waits.  We were standing outside the hotel so he did not have to wait a minute for us.