Back from The Edge

cruzemaven

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Do you know where the AC and toilet issues were? Was the AC issue  in public areas or maybe due  to folks keeping veranda doors and windows open???

We suffered with on and off AC on Infinity but thought a new ship would be better,

Wonder if there will be changes to APEX re balc furniture, brighter decor in cabins, etc...???

I know your questions weren't directed to me and I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but just wanted to say that we didn't notice any AC issues anywhere on the ship, doesn't mean there weren't any but we didn't notice it.

We had a problem with the toilet in our cabin not flushing a couple of times during the cruise but it was fixed in a very short period of time.

2 hours ago, Mainah said:

Just off the ship myself and as per my picture below you can see that the Solarium Pool does indeed have walk in access.

IMG_0491.JPG

15 minutes ago, Mainah said:

I know your questions weren't directed to me and I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but just wanted to say that we didn't notice any AC issues anywhere on the ship, doesn't mean there weren't any but we didn't notice it.

We had a problem with the toilet in our cabin not flushing a couple of times during the cruise but it was fixed in a very short period of time.

Thanks for sharing the picture.  If I am seeing is correctly, you can step into the spash over section.  But, if you want to be fully imersed you have to use the tradition rail and climb down, right?  

15 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Thanks for sharing the picture.  If I am seeing is correctly, you can step into the spash over section.  But, if you want to be fully imersed you have to use the tradition rail and climb down, right?  

Yes, so I guess it's not a complete walk in access now that I think about it if that's what the poster was talking about.  

I didn't use the pool but was sitting there and at one point saw a person slip and fall after getting out of the pool and coming down those stairs you can see in the picture so beware it can be quite slippery in that area!

On 12/4/2018 at 8:13 PM, cruzemaven said:

If you dine with someone who is in a suite they charge the non suite passenger $30.00 to dine there

So you can approach the host at Luminae  and request to sit with another couple and then pay $30 to dine there?  🤔

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 hours ago, miched said:

So you can approach the host at Luminae  and request to sit with another couple and then pay $30 to dine there?  🤔

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You actually need to be invited by that couple. Can't just randomly walk in and pay and sit with a stranger. 

13 minutes ago, Champagne Cruiser said:

Not being able to order off the MDR menu in Luminae leaves the Edge out for us. DH almost exclusively orders off the MDR menu.  Bummer. 

I find your comment interesting.  This one thing would keep you away from Edge?  Why not sail Edge and just dine in the MDR if that is your DH's preference?

24 minutes ago, Champagne Cruiser said:

Not being able to order off the MDR menu in Luminae leaves the Edge out for us. DH almost exclusively orders off the MDR menu.  Bummer. 

I have to agree that this could be a very big negative for Luminea.   We often travel on b2b's and find the menu's to be boring after awhile.   To get around this we usually mix and match off the main dining menu.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to agree that this could be a very big negative for Luminea.   We often travel on b2b's and find the menu's to be boring after awhile.   To get around this we usually mix and match off the main dining menu.   

The same for us.  No way that I am not going to enjoy escargot on a Celebrity Cruise.  I suspect Celebrity  will add an everyday favorite section to the Luminae menu since the MDR menu will not be an option.

Considering that the Edge has four MDRs with up to 25% unique offerings at each location, we would want to try the MDRs anyway.  Also some of the new Specialty dining options.

I think less people will dine in Luminae everyday and that Celebrity will improve/enhance the menu.

The idea of a dedicated Retreat area with the pool, bar, and restaurant is a great concept IMO and it may be worth the trade-off.  Of course I will not know for sure until I try it.  I am not likely to find out until Celebrity either lowers the Edge pricing or introduces longer cruises.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 6:46 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Disappointing to hear one cannot order from the menus of other restaurants in Luminae.  The Luminae menu does not always have something I care to eat.  Being able to order from the MDR menu was a big plus.  So glad I did not fall for all the advance hype about this ship.  Will wait and see what develops and whether or not prices become reasonable.

I agree completely! While I love Luminae, I order french onion soup and escargot off the MDR menu all the time. If this is true- not happy about that at all...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, boscobeans said:

I Have one question.  Not trying to be negative but really curious, does anyone think the Magic Carpet is a plus to your cruise experience ? If so how ?

Something different but to answer your question...no 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Something different but to answer your question...no 

What was your take on Eden?

I've got an issue with this advertising, especially at 3:05.  This was obviously filmed weeks ago, with actors or private guests.  Where are they coming up with such early testimonials, and passenger patterns?  I've seen the actual footage from the 3 day sailing, that guy in the skirt was not surrounded like a rock star.

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:49 AM, abbydancer said:

I asked what you'd do if you didn't like the Luminae menu - she said they'd call down to the dining room (I guess of your choice) and make a reservation for that night for you.  So I guess it's either or.

That's a horrible solution to the issue...….if this is the new "philosophy" of Luminae on this class of ship we will wait even longer to book or possible just won't bother at all.

4 hours ago, Doubt It said:

So why did Celebrity restrict the Luminae menu?

From talking to some Edgies I found that the reason has to do with Luminea being on deck 12 and the Galley is no longer the same floor and kitchen as the main dining room galley.   In the pasta to grab items from the main dining room menu was as easy as going to a different work station.    On Edge it would require the wait staff to go down around 10 floors.   

From my look at the deckplans I don't actually see where the kitchen's are.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:49 PM, abbydancer said:

I asked about ordering from other restaurants and the hostess confirmed (we weren't eating there, just wandering the ship) that you couldn't order off the main menu as the galleys were decks apart.  

I asked what you'd do if you didn't like the Luminae menu - she said they'd call down to the dining room (I guess of your choice) and make a reservation for that night for you.  So I guess it's either or.

That is interesting, because I was told that they would be able to accomodate people with some of the main foods like chicken, salmon etc.  After reading what you were told, I am not sure that would be the most appropriate answer for those of us who pay suite prices...I guess time will tell!  I will follow up with the person who is in charge of all the restaurants on Edge, because I do not enjoy surprises...thanks for sharing this!

Edited by Lastdance

6 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

That is interesting, because I was told that they would be able to accomodate people with some of the main foods like chicken, salmon etc.  After reading what you were told, I am not sure that would be the most appropriate answer for those of us who pay suite prices...I guess time will tell!  I will follow up with the person who is in charge of all the restaurants on Edge, because I do not enjoy surprises...thanks for sharing this!

I'm thinking that maybe they'll do what they do in Blu - add some basic always available items.  Though if they did, it would be nice if they did it like Princess does in their dining rooms (or used to) - each night there was a different preparation offered on the basic items.

If I might ask as all of our future X cruises are booked in sky suites, what is so bad with the Luminae menu? We were recently on the Eclipse for 25 days and every evening after eating in the MDR we would wander over to see how many chocolate desserts were listed on the Luminae menu and the main courses always looked great and didn't seem to repeat. However, I'm sure they recycle the menu every week or two. What am I missing?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

It was  clear from the Butler and the staff at Luminae that they could not order from the menus of the other restaurants because of the distance of the kitchens.  They could not make reservations for any of the other restaurants, they would call and let them know we were coming but we would be seated if there were tables available.  Perhaps they will work these issues through as we were on the December 1, 2018 preview.  Celebrity is still the best in my book and Edge was not typical of what I have always experienced with Celebrity.  I will continue to be a loyal Celebrity cruiser.  

9 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

What was your take on Eden?

I've got an issue with this advertising, especially at 3:05.  This was obviously filmed weeks ago, with actors or private guests.  Where are they coming up with such early testimonials, and passenger patterns?  I've seen the actual footage from the 3 day sailing, that guy in the skirt was not surrounded like a rock star.

I find the video kind of creepy.  I guess eden is not for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1