Locking Luggage

Lovincruisin1321

My luggage is always locked.  We use a TSA lock which TSA can open with a special key.  I believe HAL has the same thing.  The lock has a numerical key code for us and there is a special key thing at the bottom for TSA.

• Like 1

We always lock our bags with TSA locks, whether for flights or cruises. Like locking your house, it doesn't guarantee that the contents are secure, but it deters opportunistic thieves.

Given the fact that passengers are called to the naughty room to open and display the contents of their bags when the x-ray picks up something questionable, I suspect that ship's security doesn't have TSA keys or uses them only in extraordinary circumstances. I'm sure that Copper 10-8 can shed some light on this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

My luggage is always locked.  We use a TSA lock which TSA can open with a special key.  I believe HAL has the same thing.  The lock has a numerical key code for us and there is a special key thing at the bottom for TSA.

Same here ... Both to board the plane and the ship, and also when disembarking the ship.

Edited by taxmantoo

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We always lock our bags with TSA locks, whether for flights or cruises. Like locking your house, it doesn't guarantee that the contents are secure, but it deters opportunistic thieves.

Given the fact that passengers are called to the naughty room to open and display the contents of their bags when the x-ray picks up something questionable, I suspect that ship's security doesn't have TSA keys or uses them only in extraordinary circumstances. I'm sure that Copper 10-8 can shed some light on this.

Good point.  HAL security probably doesn't have the leeway that TSA does.

I've never been called to the naughty room so I can't vouch for what happens there 😉 

I have had notes in my luggage from U.S. TSA though that they inspected it.  Not sure why, I'm probably just 'lucky'.  It's usually on the way home so it can't be the Meet and Greet invites 😉 

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good point.  HAL security probably doesn't have the leeway that TSA does.

I've never been called to the naughty room so I can't vouch for what happens there 😉 

I have had notes in my luggage from U.S. TSA though that they inspected it.  Not sure why, I'm probably just 'lucky'.  It's usually on the way home so it can't be the Meet and Greet invites 😉 

LOL. I, on the other hand, have never had a bag searched by TSA (to my knowledge), but have twice been summoned to the naughty room. In one case I had an empty coffee travel mug and in the second a squeeze bottle of Banana Boat sunblock. There were apologies but no offers to take the suitcases to my cabin. In the first instance, I insisted, but in the second I simply took it with me so that I wouldn't have to wait for delivery.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. I, on the other hand, have never had a bag searched by TSA (to my knowledge), but have twice been summoned to the naughty room. In one case I had an empty coffee travel mug and in the second a squeeze bottle of Banana Boat sunblock. There were apologies but no offers to take the suitcases to my cabin. In the first instance, I insisted, but in the second I simply took it with me so that I wouldn't have to wait for delivery.

Now I am getting paranoid.    I bought small plastic bottles for shampoo and other hair products.  Can I put these in my luggage or do I have to have them out for inspection?  Again, just for boarding ship.

2 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Now I am getting paranoid.    I bought small plastic bottles for shampoo and other hair products.  Can I put these in my luggage or do I have to have them out for inspection?  Again, just for boarding ship.

Small plastic bottles shouldn't pose a problem and there was only the one time that it created an issue for us. AS DW always brings a selection of small bottles with her toiletries, I don't know whether they were having a slow day or if an inexperienced employee was operating the x-ray machine. In any event, if you want to avoid a trip to the naughty room, just put those items in your carry-on bags.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

The only time I have had to remove something from my luggage [for a cruise] was in Tampa. All electronics out of your carry-on luggage. Otherwise, nothing is held out, I haven't left from that many places, just 4 or 5, and mostly FLL.

29 minutes ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

I always pack those little bottles - in my check in.  No problems so far ever 😉 

I always lock my luggage, using TSA locks. Now, a few times over the years the locks have gone missing, but at least I feel somewhat confident that the contents are secure.
My meds, make-up, and jewelry fill my carry-on, but the contents of the large suitcase still have value. I would hate to spend the time attempting to replace all the things that are in there---not to mention the money. It adds up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always lock our luggage even when we are just going from the hotel to the ship.

A number of years ago we were sitting in the Neptune Lounge waiting to see the concierges while a man was complaining and filling out a report about several pairs of shoes missing from 2 suitcases -- they had driven to the port.  The concierge told him that he should have locked his luggage as there is no way to tell where the shoes disappeared -- too many handlers.

• Thanks 1

I always use the nylon cable ties, and carry spares in case TSA has to chop one off for inspection.  I usually have one bag inspected, and the little note is placed inside to tell me they were in there poking around.   I always carry a 12 ft long regular AC extension cord for my CPAP.   Not a plug strip, just a plain vanilla extension cord.   Because it is coiled up, that must attract the attention of TSA's X-ray and they open it.   

A also don't carry valuables in my checked luggage.  But I secure the bag anyway with nylon ties.  I have seen too many partially open bags on the airport carousels with clothing hanging out.