Customer Service is Terrible

CintiCruzer

DW & I were on the Regal in October and had an issue with NO WINE (specifically Pinot Grigio) was available by the glass in the bars the entire cruise - and of course we were on the drink package (prepaid). The bar staff kept saying they would restock at the next stop... needless to say, by the end of the cruise there was minimal wine available and many passengers were saying the same thing.

We made suggestions to sell us a bottle (really the same price point at the drink package) but they would cover it. We wanted to talk to the beverage manager and he would not talk with us ( in fact the young man at the desk sent us a box of candy with an apology)

When we arrived back home, I sent a letter to our booking agent and he gave me the number of Corporate to send a complaint letter to... well tonight - nearly 2 MONTHS after we sent the letter they called... The Rep I spoke to was very arrogant and acted like it was no big deal... he said these things happen and it must have been an issue because they ultimately have changed suppliers... ( REALLY??) He did not even apologize for the issue happening -  the only apology he offered was for taking so long to get back to us!!!

I made the comment that I was considering taking my business to another line, his comment was I hope you don't, I'm sure things will better next time!!  Well Princess, I don't think there will be a next time.... DW & I will talk to Celebrity to see if they want our business - maybe they will listen to us and make us feel like a valuable customer.

What are some of your experiences with other lines?? we both are in early 60's - not big partiers, just like to enjoy our adult beverages and listen to good music and just relax... not interested in lots of kids, nor lots of activities, just want good food and a place to relax, the visits great ports..

anyone have thoughts??

I like Princess, but of course all lines make mistakes. We were on a Celebrity cruise, with a drink package, and the ship ran out of most types of beer and all types of cider. Their supplier had made a mistake at their last resupply. Oh well, we drank something else. On almost every cruise we have been on, one type of wine or another was not available.

I am not saying that Princess could not have treated you better, but it does seem that this is something that could happen on any line. As far as taking your business to another line - that is something that each of us must decide every time we cruise. I have never been on a perfect cruise, (there is always something that can bother you if you let it) and I have cruised on quite a number of lines. I say relax and look for positives.

What could Princess have done to make you happy?

One of the reasons we haven't sailed on Celebrity lately is because of how we were treated the last time we did. We brought on the allowed bottle of wine per person. The security folks took them at embarkation. I did not get our bottles back until the second night of the cruise. It took several trips to the pursers desk. I also prepaid for a couple of bottles of wine to enjoy in the dining room. The sommelier tried to make me sign for both bottles the first night without delivering the second one yet. I signed the slip but crossed out that he had delivered two bottles and changed it to one.

1 hour ago, RMMariner said:

I like Princess, but of course all lines make mistakes. We were on a Celebrity cruise, with a drink package, and the ship ran out of most types of beer and all types of cider. Their supplier had made a mistake at their last resupply. Oh well, we drank something else. On almost every cruise we have been on, one type of wine or another was not available.

I am not saying that Princess could not have treated you better, but it does seem that this is something that could happen on any line. As far as taking your business to another line - that is something that each of us must decide every time we cruise. I have never been on a perfect cruise, (there is always something that can bother you if you let it) and I have cruised on quite a number of lines. I say relax and look for positives.

What could Princess have done to make you happy?

at the time, give me an apology - tell me the truth... maybe open a bottle of wine for my wife from the restaurant or Vines - a $50 bottle is the same price point as the beverage package ( 5 glasses @$10 ea) - but go an entire cruise without wine - DW is not happy

1 hour ago, CintiCruzer said:

What are some of your experiences with other lines?? we both are in early 60's - not big partiers, just like to enjoy our adult beverages and listen to good music and just relax... not interested in lots of kids, nor lots of activities, just want good food and a place to relax, the visits great ports..

anyone have thoughts??

DW & I had very bad experience with Viking River Cruise customer service both during our trip and after our trip.  We will never sail Viking again.  They lied to us and treated us like we didn't matter to them.  Viking is clearly not worth the money if you encounter an issue.

We've been on three Princess cruises in the last 18 months and on all three cruises they ran out of some of the wines we prefer. In at least one case one particular wine was not onboard right from the start of the cruise. On the last night of our last cruise three of the lighter reds were unavailable in the MDR but our lovely waiter tracked down a bottle of our third choice from one of the speciality restaurants.

If I have had an issue on the ship I write a letter and send it to my TA who then sends it along with a cover letter.  We usually hear back within a couple of weeks.

i have never had them be rude and they have always offered us something on our next cruise.

so sorry to hear you had a problem.

2 hours ago, CintiCruzer said:

at the time, give me an apology - tell me the truth... maybe open a bottle of wine for my wife from the restaurant or Vines - a $50 bottle is the same price point as the beverage package ( 5 glasses @$10 ea) - but go an entire cruise without wine - DW is not happy

Sounds like a reasonable expectation. Was it all wine, or just the Pinot Grigio that was unavailable?

Usually they are pretty good at making things work. One cruise we bought a wine package, and even though we were assured that it would be accepted at Vines, it was not. We just grabbed a bottle from the dining room and brought it over to Vines. They gave us sushi and tapas without any problem. They usually do try their best to make you happy. It is really too bad they were not more helpful for you. 

• Like 1

I don't send letters. I send polite notes to customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I tend to get a phone call within anywhere from one day to 2 weeks. The last two notes were answered by phone call within 1 week (first note) and 1 day (second note). I don't send rants.

Hopefully whatever line you switch to will work out well for you with no glitches.

While on Crown doing the TA in November,the MDR had the Castiglioni Chianti paired with the entrees on the menu the first night of the cruise.As I always order that wine, I did so as usual.The waiter returned and told me that they were out of the wine that they were advertising on the menu and that he would replace it with the Ruffino.He then said that it would be $15 more than the wine ordered.I suggested that since they were advertising a wine they did not have that they should honor the price of the lesser priced wine.He said that was impossible and summoned a head waiter when I protested.The head waiter also said the same thing and I suggested that they figure out a solution.Eventually they realized that the only fair way to handle this was to honor the lower price.I did buy numerous bottles of more expensive wine over the course of the cruise as the Ruffino was not to my liking.It baffles me that a large companies would alienate they customers over such small issues when the cost to them is minimal.I did check my local liquor store at home and they sell the Ruffino for $9.99 a bottle and Princess was over $50 for the same exact bottle.

Based on CC threads, all cruise lines seem disinterested in guest relations.

They do not have to - a lot of business and no need to work hard to please customers - right now that is.

Reading CC boards, people keep booking cruises despite stating concerns about quality, service etc. 

We completed a fiasco of a Oceania Regatta cruise in October (historic 10 negative 1 and 2 star reviews on Cruise Critic).

Oceania on board and HQ disinterested in the hundreds of on board and emails to HQ. 

No cruises booked and none contemplated. 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:37 PM, CintiCruzer said:

DW & I were on the Regal in October and had an issue with NO WINE (specifically Pinot Grigio) was available by the glass in the bars the entire cruise - and of course we were on the drink package (prepaid). The bar staff kept saying they would restock at the next stop... needless to say, by the end of the cruise there was minimal wine available and many passengers were saying the same thing.

We made suggestions to sell us a bottle (really the same price point at the drink package) but they would cover it. We wanted to talk to the beverage manager and he would not talk with us ( in fact the young man at the desk sent us a box of candy with an apology)

When we arrived back home, I sent a letter to our booking agent and he gave me the number of Corporate to send a complaint letter to... well tonight - nearly 2 MONTHS after we sent the letter they called... The Rep I spoke to was very arrogant and acted like it was no big deal... he said these things happen and it must have been an issue because they ultimately have changed suppliers... ( REALLY??) He did not even apologize for the issue happening -  the only apology he offered was for taking so long to get back to us!!!

I made the comment that I was considering taking my business to another line, his comment was I hope you don't, I'm sure things will better next time!!  Well Princess, I don't think there will be a next time.... DW & I will talk to Celebrity to see if they want our business - maybe they will listen to us and make us feel like a valuable customer.

anyone have thoughts??

Try Azamara which is a step above Celebrity and has alcohol included in your fare. 

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Exactly, as long as cruises sell out week after week there is no incentive to cater to guest issues.

Disagree.  Corporate office may not care but 90% of the personnel on any ship I have been on really want to make you happy.  They will do their best.  

anyone have thoughts??

We frequently Cruise Princess and have also cruised with Celebrity several times. We had a drink package on Celebrity and noticed the same thing as you’ve described, lack of many wines by the glass, very limited selections. Although we don’t usually order the wines, our friends Do, and they were less than thrilled with the selections available.  

Some beers weren’t available either, ie, not in stock.  

We enjoyed the Bev package for the martinis, but even the mixed drinks fell short, ie, not made correctly, many in our group having to send poorly made drinks back.  

anyone have thoughts??

next time, no matter what line you are on, talk to the officer over the hotel management, let him know the beverage manager will not talk to you...