Move Over Offer

pandora518

We just accepted what seems to be a very lucrative "move over" offer.  We were booked in a balcony cabin on a 14-day Asia cruise.  Princess offered us a free 20-day cruise, our current fare refunded as refundable OBC on whatever cruise we book instead, an upgrade to a mini suite, and air/hotel cancellation charges.  We were really looking forward to the Asia cruise but can now book a longer one if we wish, or...?  I must say Princess is very generous with these "move over" offers!  We've been cruising Princess for years and have never received such an offer before!  55

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow what an offer. I have a 12 day Asian cruise booked for Feb and I might sit by the phone!! Mind you I doubt that my TA passes these offers on which is one reason I might start booking direct.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Wow what an offer. I have a 12 day Asian cruise booked for Feb and I might sit by the phone!! Mind you I doubt that my TA passes these offers on which is one reason I might start booking direct.

We booked with a Princess "Vacation Planner."  I highly recommend that route.

• Like 1

We received, and accepted, a move over offer for a 10 day Caribbean cruise a few years ago.  The only difference was we weren't offered a longer cruise in the package.  They definitely are nice when offered.

Congratulations!  It's an awesome deal if you are flexible and it sounds like you were.

We accepted a moveover offer earlier this year and one of the cruises we are taking for free as a result of that offer is an 11 day Asia cruise that has been sold out for a while.  Thinking we will hear about moveover offers made for that cruise, but I doubt if they will pick us again.

Congrats on the good move-over offer.  We got one once just 3 days before a Mediterranean cruise, with very similar terms, which we were able to move to a "bucket list" cruise to Greece and Egypt.   It worked out great for us.

Oh, and we got ours through our TA without problem.

7 hours ago, pandora518 said:

our current fare refunded as refundable OBC on whatever cruise we book instead, 

Like so many others, we've never been fortunate enough to score one of these little beauties. So I'm confused about one thing in your post. If a balcony is nominally in the $5K range for two people on a cruise like this, are you saying that they will be placing the full $5K (in this example) on your account as refundable OBC?

If so, that's a DEAL!

5 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Like so many others, we've never been fortunate enough to score one of these little beauties. So I'm confused about one thing in your post. If a balcony is nominally in the $5K range for two people on a cruise like this, are you saying that they will be placing the full $5K (in this example) on your account as refundable OBC?

If so, that's a DEAL!

That’s a pretty common offer.

best I’ve seen was full refund as refundable OBC, free cruise of the same length with a cabin upgrade (the one I’m thinking of was from Balcony to Mini Suite. 

So ep if you can take advantage some offers are pretty darn attractive

I'm sure your TA would pass on the move over offer. If a client accepts a move over offer that is passed on by a TA, the TA generally gets a small "thank you" from the cruise line, in the form of a few extra dollars, for coordinating the change. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

If so, that's a DEAL!

Yep, you typically get the entire cruise fare originally paid back as refundable OBC on the cruise you move to as well as an upgraded cabin, protected EZ Air, port charges and insurance (meaning if the new cruise is higher for any or all of these items, you don't pay any more and if less, you get a refund), and refund of any non refundable expenses up to a specified dollar amount.  It's an incredible deal if one has the flexibility to take advantage of it.

12 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Congratulations!  It's an awesome deal if you are flexible and it sounds like you were.

We accepted a moveover offer earlier this year and one of the cruises we are taking for free as a result of that offer is an 11 day Asia cruise that has been sold out for a while.  Thinking we will hear about moveover offers made for that cruise, but I doubt if they will pick us again.

If the cruise you booked was the one you switched over to with your move over, you will not be able to move over again. This happened to us a few years ago when they sent out an email to everyone in the category on the new cruise we had chosen.  When I called & said I was willing to take the offer they looked up & saw we had already done it & said we were not eligible.

3 hours ago, victory2020 said:

If the cruise you booked was the one you switched over to with your move over, you will not be able to move over again. This happened to us a few years ago when they sent out an email to everyone in the category on the new cruise we had chosen.  When I called & said I was willing to take the offer they looked up & saw we had already done it & said we were not eligible.

Yes, that's what I figured!  Our next two cruises are ones we moved to so won't expect to get any more gifts from Princess for a while.

26 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Just luck of the draw? If so, I'd love to enjoy your kind of luck!!

Well the luck was getting the moveover offer which included one or two cruises totaling 18 days.  So we selected an 11 day and a 7 day cruise :classic_tongue:

In January of 2015, my mom and I had a 10 RT trip cruise out of Singapore planned. We were in a balcony and booked it for pretty cheap.

The day before flying out, we received the following offer- which we refer to as the Mac-daddy of all move-overs:

We give up our balcony cabin for 10 days.

We get:

one 15 day cruise anywhere in the world, in a full suite. AND

one 10 day cruise anywhere in the US, Mex, Carib, or Canada in a full suite

100% of the cruise fare in refundable OBC (we spent almost nothing and received a check about 6 weeks after we got home).

An extra $500 in OBC as a thank you.

Change airplane fees.

and an extra dinner in a specialty restaurant.

If my memory serves me, the original cruise cost us about $2500 combined.

We took a 10 Caribbean on the Royal in a Penthouse Suite- that would have been about $8K.

We took a British Isles cruise for 12 days- that would have been about $14K.

We considered it a deal of a lifetime. 

I also just got a move-over this past summer on a Baltic’s cruise. I was traveling alone in an inside. My friend was traveling alone in a balcony. We linked our reservation for dining purposes. We each received move-overs that were get your cruise fare back on refundable OBC and take the same cruise in the same cabin type later. We both turned them down.

Then we received an offer to share a full suite on the same cruise and get about half of our fare back in refundable OBC. We took that offer.

Urban legend has it, if you take a move-over offer- you are more likely to get another. If you take an upsell, you are more likely to get another. Willingness factors into the selection algorithm. So I have heard...

I have gotten an upsell offer on over 75% of every cruise I have been on. I have accepted most- mostly because they are mini’s to full suites.

YMMV

• Like 4