Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

2 hours ago, ecslady said:

I actually hope that rendering is not going to be the final.  They should at least put doors on the shelving, and solid doors on the wardrobe.  I have visions of things falling off in rough seas and those doors which do not meet flying open.

Lots of creativity on a longer cruise.

We're considering a transpacific on Solstice in 2021.  If that year doesn't work for us, we'll probably end up doing it on HAL.  I can't imagine a 19 day cruise with this, which would probably require using our luggage under the bed, like an additional drawer for storage. :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I've seen these pictures before. My first thought was why are they depicting bedding items and bath towels on the shelves? Why not clothing? Someone decided it probably looked more neat and tidy with towels, etc., rather than guests' shorts, tops and other personal items on display.

I agree that doors are needed on the shelving.

And what about the champagne bucket? Guess they are trying to sell that as it looks elegant. 

Celebrity  could easily turn the 3 drawer space into at least 6 drawers if they'd just build it upwards.  That would give much better storage.   But, lets not forget who designed these staterooms - someone who has never been on a cruise and love pillows!  (OK sorry for venting)

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We're considering a transpacific on Solstice in 2021.  If that year doesn't work for us, we'll probably end up doing it on HAL.  I can't imagine a 19 day cruise with this, which would probably require using our luggage under the bed, like an additional drawer for storage. :classic_wacko:

I can see that challenge.  I've become a good packer over the years, and since I am Elite Plus I take advantage of the laundry services on long cruises,  but I can see this as an issue especially since you will probably be traveling with different climates on your transpacific.

The only things I usually stuff into my suitcase below the bed are the souvenirs I purchase along the way.

i am quite interested to see how the S class turns out because I am booked On the Equinox for Nov 19, after it is revolutionized.

Edited by ecslady

4 hours ago, ecslady said:

I actually hope that rendering is not going to be the final.  They should at least put doors on the shelving, and solid doors on the wardrobe.  I have visions of things falling off in rough seas and those doors which do not meet flying open.

Lots of creativity on a longer cruise.

There is a lot of speculation about what may or may not happen to the cabins. Some if it will turn out to be true. Some of it not.

However, if there is one thing I can place very high confidence in, it is that there will NOT be doors on the shelving and there will NOT be solid doors on the wardrobe. Openness is the core of the new design. Open shelves and semi-transparent wardrobe doors are required in order to fulfill the design objectives.

2 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

There is a lot of speculation about what may or may not happen to the cabins. Some if it will turn out to be true. Some of it not.

However, if there is one thing I can place very high confidence in, it is that there will NOT be doors on the shelving and there will NOT be solid doors on the wardrobe. Openness is the core of the new design. Open shelves and semi-transparent wardrobe doors are required in order to fulfill the design objectives.

I know they are going for that look. Form over Function as it has been described, but cruisers know it is not the best on a cruise  ship.

if you notice in the picture, the sofa has been reduced to an oversized chair, because the cabin needs to accommodate the king sized bed.  For me personally, this is not an issue, but it may be an issue for others who really make use of the sofa.  This will also reduce the number of cabins that are able to sleep more than two.

Since I sailed on the Edge already, I learned that there were issues with some of the decor that went flying off the shelves in some upper class suites on the TA over to the US and they had to be replaced. Again, form over function, by a designer who is not a cruiser.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ecslady said:

I know they are going for that look. Form over Function as it has been described, but cruisers know it is not the best on a cruise  ship.

if you notice in the picture, the sofa has been reduced to an oversized chair, because the cabin needs to accommodate the king sized bed.  For me personally, this is not an issue, but it may be an issue for others who really make use of the sofa.  This will also reduce the number of cabins that are able to sleep more than two.

Since I sailed on the Edge already, I learned that there were issues with some of the decor that went flying off the shelves in some upper class suites on the TA over to the US and they had to be replaced. Again, form over function, by a designer who is not a cruiser.  

I’m presuming the chair is to depict the regular cabins on M class where there is a chair and not a sofa currently? It’s only S class where the couch is presently offerered on the lower category balconies, M class have the chair. Otherwise, it would greatly reduce the amount of berths on the ships, something that X would never allow under the current programme of ‘stack them high’ (fit in as many cabins as is possible) 😉😆.

Edited by villauk

14 hours ago, ecslady said:

The “decor” that you mention continued to fly off shelves and tables in the upper suites on our Dec. 9 cruise. I heard that it also happened in the Retreat, but since there is carpeting on the floor there were fewer damages. Form over function was how I described it too. May be attractive, looks good in a photo shoot, but impractical and in some cases unnecessary (such as those rockers).

6 hours ago, villauk said:

I’m presuming the chair is to depict the regular cabins on M class where there is a chair and not a sofa currently? It’s only S class where the couch is presently offerered on the lower category balconies, M class have the chair. Otherwise, it would greatly reduce the amount of berths on the ships, something that X would never allow under the current programme of ‘stack them high’ (fit in as many cabins as is possible) 😉😆.

X has statistics on how many cabins have 3 or 4 people in them on a weekly basis, and I'm thinking it is not that many unless it is weeks that attract families.  I have even read on other threads where cabins are being reclassified from 4 or 3 to a 2 person capacity.

i think RC corporate wants to keep the RC ships for families, and trying to make X more of an adult ship.  X is shrinking space for kids.  So, the total number of available berths may not be a X priority going forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

The “decor” that you mention continued to fly off shelves and tables in the upper suites on our Dec. 9 cruise. I heard that it also happened in the Retreat, but since there is carpeting on the floor there were fewer damages. Form over function was how I described it too. May be attractive, looks good in a photo shoot, but impractical and in some cases unnecessary (such as those rockers).

If that continues to happen, pretty soon there will be no decor to fly off, and X can start over. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ecslady said:

X has statistics on how many cabins have 3 or 4 people in them on a weekly basis, and I'm thinking it is not that many unless it is weeks that attract families.  I have even read on other threads where cabins are being reclassified from 4 or 3 to a 2 person capacity.

i think RC corporate wants to keep the RC ships for families, and trying to make X more of an adult ship.  X is shrinking space for kids.  So, the total number of available berths may not be a X priority going forward.

Many of the M class are only for 3 persons currently i.e. Concierge Class and some of the suites. However, I still think the rendering with the small chair is for the M class ships as that’s what they have presently before the ‘Revolution’. They are smaller in size to the CC as well (no room for a large sofa) 😉.

6 minutes ago, villauk said:

Many of the M class are only for 3 persons currently i.e. Concierge Class and some of the suites. However, I still think the rendering with the small chair is for the M class ships as that’s what they have presently before the ‘Revolution’. They are smaller in size to the CC as well (no room for a large sofa) 😉.

It probably is, but the bigger bed does mean less other space in all the cabins, M or S class, so it will be interesting to see the final product.

11 minutes ago, ecslady said:

If that continues to happen, pretty soon there will be no decor to fly off, and X can start over. 

What was the  flying decor on EDGE? 

In our EDGE IV cabin it seems there will only be  the  white coral sculpture.  We will be stowing that away ...looks like the color of dead coral..  That niche is where I plan to place the colorful  flowers we ordered.....perfect spot.

I am also  bringing something nice and colorful  to tape over the artwork....just in case we  have bad luck with some of the hideous wall art we saw in photos..

Size wise...the cabins are too small  for a King bed....

Hope S class upgrades are better done..not booking til we find out!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

From what I was told on board the Edge, there seems to be some sort of contractual “time limit” regarding all of the “decor” around the ship. Once that has expired X will supposedly be able to make any appropriate (and realistic) changes and modifications.

We shall see...

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

It probably is, but the bigger bed does mean less other space in all the cabins, M or S class, so it will be interesting to see the final product.

It certainly will 😉🤞it’s more successful than the Edge cabins.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

In our EDGE IV cabin it seems there will only be  the  white coral sculpture.  We will be stowing that away ...looks like the color of dead coral..  That niche is where I plan to place the colorful  flowers we ordered.....perfect spot.

Assorted vases, bowls, and other purely decorative items- all ceramic or glass! Someone messed up somewhere as I told one of the concierges, there was a very simple fix.  😉

What is truly mind boggling is the fact that the designer, Ms. Hoppen, didn’t anticipate the movement of a ship and the subsequent impact that would have on all those decorations... sliding across a smooth surface and onto

tne floor!

Edited by C-Dragons

1 hour ago, hcat said:

I am also  bringing something nice and colorful  to tape over the artwork....just in case we  have bad luck with some of the hideous wall art we saw in photos..

Size wise...the cabins are too small  for a King bed....

Hope S class upgrades are better done..not booking til we find out!

Cabin comes with a white vase... just so  you know. Consider getting an IKEA pudda basket. It is made of felt and snaps together to make a basket. Packs flat. Get the one with the lowest profile. it fits into the bathroom sink. Perfect for makeup and other small items.... that way, when you are done with vanity... you can push it in and keep makeup under the sink. I never used the box for electrical... plug for CPAP next to bed... plugged in iphone there and in phone which was on the other side of the bed. Used plug in bathroom when drying hair... worked out well. I found closets sufficient... but I do not pack a lot of options... not a shoe person so the storage worked fine. If you have a chaise lounge (vs sleeper sofa)... there is room under it for items like shoes or CPAP case (if someone uses one). The art was fine to me.. I actually liked the coral... which looked pretty realistic. I have to say the colors were fine.... My favorite space was the bathroom... nice and large. But shower door opening quite large so it is a bit difficult to have two in there when someone is exiting the shower. Have fun.

The IV is nice as a porch... but not a place to hang out... too cramped.... bifold doors do not add anything and just make it that much tighter... but I love the wide open view... and nice to open window and just listen to the ocean. You can use the app on your phone to open blinds... but be careful when using the 'scenes' option..... "morning" not only turns on the lights... slowly getting brighter.. but also opens the blinds... not good if in port 🙂 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MikeMary4449 said:

For anyone who has already sailed on the Edge:  Where did they hid the safe?  Hopefully it wasn't eliminated.  Thanks.

I have not sailed Edge yet, but have seen photos of the safe, and no it has not been eliminated.  It is in, I believe,  some closet space near the bottom, and not where it used to be on S class ships.  I am sure someone who sailed can give you more specific information!

Edited by Lastdance

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Safe has been in closet for awhile..as I recall

Where is the vase...Have only seen the coral piece in pics.or is that a vase?

The vase is on the dresser next to the attached lamp. The coral piece is in the lighted niche. 

IMG_20181216_124131948.jpg

IMG_20181217_102848045_HDR.jpg

23 hours ago, ecslady said:

I can see that challenge.  I've become a good packer over the years, and since I am Elite Plus I take advantage of the laundry services on long cruises,  but I can see this as an issue especially since you will probably be traveling with different climates on your transpacific.

The only things I usually stuff into my suitcase below the bed are the souvenirs I purchase along the way.

i am quite interested to see how the S class turns out because I am booked On the Equinox for Nov 19, after it is revolutionized.

We're considering just going for it, in a Concierge or Aqua cabin, which would give us 304 points in the Captain's Club afterwords.  Elite won't do us much good beforehand, which is why the transpacific is more attractive before the "Revolution".  Afterwords, we may just lean towards shorter and warmer cruises on X.

The vase has to be the biggest waste of space.  Why can't they just bring it to you upon request if you have flowers to put in it.  

And , personally I wish they would put the lamp on the end of the dresser rather then in the middle.  I think it would give a little more usable counter space.  With it in the middle, you have some space on  the left and some on the right , but I felt it was kind of broken up by the placement of the lamp in the middle.

45 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We're considering just going for it, in a Concierge or Aqua cabin, which would give us 304 points in the Captain's Club afterwords.  Elite won't do us much good beforehand, which is why the transpacific is more attractive before the "Revolution".  Afterwords, we may just lean towards shorter and warmer cruises on X.

The points are a goal. Go for it!  I do enjoy my Elite Plus benefits.