Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

5 hours ago, hcat said:

After many yrs in AQ/ BLU, ,we are looking forward to the new dining concept on EDGE in Nov and on Summit  for 2020.

I thought the daily menus will change nightly  in the MDRs, although they all will  have the same one, except for the ones unique to that venue .Is that correct?

Yes, the way people need to look at it (and I know you are aware of it :classic_smile:) is that there are 6 more choices in the MDRs each night (actually 7, if you include the regional dessert) on the Edge than on S and M Class. The menus are just the same as always, changing every night, except that each of the 4 MDRs  have 6 regional choices in addition - 3 starters and 3 mains - these don't change, but the Celebrity Signature menu does change every night, the same as S and M Classes.

Edited by vtcruising

On 1/7/2019 at 2:54 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You're right, that is a Holland America ship.  Excellent suggestion X, I might just follow through with that!

The artwork looks like a Nine Inch Nails album cover, similar to "Downward Spiral"

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 6.50.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 6.42.45 AM.png

The photo in the cabin is a Celebrity M class ship after refit with the new blue hull similar to Edge! This confirms that ships will become blue.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, RDC1 said:

Reminds me of Ikea.

I really detest people who characterize modern Interior Design they don't like as 'looks like Ikea'. It's a putdown that's undeserving and really shows how uneducated about design people can be.  It's funny how no one ever goes, "looks like Levitz or Raymour and Flannigan or Ashley Furniture'. 

A cruiseship stateroom DOESN'T have to look like it 30-40 years ago for it to be beautiful and tasteful.

I'm SO glad the Edge interiors DON"T LOOK LIKE THIS

cp_od_premiumoceanview_photo_lrg.jpg

np_ii_interior_photo_lrg.jpg

• Like 1

Kwokpot,

And no one said they hated Ikea. What they did say was that it ‘reminded them of Ikea’

You have obviously found your niche with Edge as you have given such positive reviews of all areas of the ship. Not everyone likes the same things though (see the current reviews on the poll thread), otherwise we’d all be living in identical houses, with identical interiors, doing identical activities 😉. Thank goodness for choice!

26 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I really detest people who characterize modern Interior Design they don't like as 'looks like Ikea'. It's a putdown that's undeserving and really shows how uneducated about design people can be.  It's funny how no one ever goes, "looks like Levitz or Raymour and Flannigan or Ashley Furniture'. 

A cruiseship stateroom DOESN'T have to look like it 30-40 years ago for it to be beautiful and tasteful.

Maybe some people do not have the knowledge of design you appear to claim to have but there's no need to detest them, they're entitled to their opinion without having an education in design.  

You repeatedly shout in your posts, why?  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

You know, when you get away form those IV cabins, the Edge doesn't look half bad.  I could sail on this!  🤣

• Like 1

I'm excited for the re-do of these ships, and have Summit booked this November.  One reason for my excitement is my Edge cabin experience.  I found the storage plentiful and extremely well laid out, meaning I wasn't moving around the room trying to remember where everything was.  Shoes under the bed, with the luggage.  Clothes in closet and nearby drawers.  Phones charging on nightstands.  Everything else in the floor to ceiling storage 'thing'.  The bathroom was completely functional, also with plenty of workable storage.  I found the furniture very comfortable...  and while I didn't pay much attention to the decor, primarily because when in the room I was focused on the ocean through the IV, it did seem high-end resort-like.  I really liked it, and hope they can duplicate this experience on M and S classes.  Everyone has their opinion, this cruiser just really enjoyed the Edge experience.  

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I never has a stateroom that looked like this!

I also never had a tom tom, silder desk or  patio furniture from the 80s redo shop!

• Like 1

All joking aside, the Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection takes the prize for modern cabins.  A bit different than that out of date Princess cabin, and a bit more upscale than the "Revolution". 😉

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 2.14.25 PM.png

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

actually not sure rhat it would live up to ikea. the faux grain pattern shown in the  Celebrity pictures is not something even ikea would carry.

I haven't seen Princess (which it appears are the pictures you posted) going around and claiming how wonderful their designer is either.

cruise ship interiors don't have to look like the recent remodel of a holiday inn express. Grays are getting a bit long in the tooth as far as interiors go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

A little more information.  This topic is dealing with Celebrities upgrade of the existing ships, not the Edge, though it is using some pictures from Edge as part of the discussion.  The pictures I was basing my comments were those from Celebrities information about the remodels of S and M class ships.  Which none of us, including you have sailed on. 

I have sailed repeatedly on both M and S classes in cabins up to and including Sky Suites.  I have no desire to ever sail on Epic. For a number of reasons which include both the changes to public areas/entertainment being less in line with what I like compared to the S and M class, as well as the Epic is not scheduled to sail anywhere I am interested in going in its planned itineraries. I do have interest in how the M and S classes are impacted by the change.  I have no need to have my cruise ship cabin look like a land based hotel. I cruise to see different parts of the world and to enjoy the ship side experience.  

I still say that the pictures about the planned remodel look like something designed by Ikea.

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I really detest people 

I googled "ocean cruises" with "Ikea furniture", and got a couple of hits for reviews of Viking Ocean Cruises.  Which I suppose makes sense, having not yet cruised with Viking, I can't report from personal experience, though. 

It is said "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".  I don't think that has been Celebrity's intention with the Edge.    ?

Edited by cruisefam38

1 hour ago, cruisefam38 said:

I googled "ocean cruises" with "Ikea furniture", and got a couple of hits for reviews of Viking Ocean Cruises.  Which I suppose makes sense, having not yet cruised with Viking, I can't report from personal experience, though. 

It is said "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".  I don't think that has been Celebrity's intention with the Edge.    ?

Right? Viking is expensive so really, would you people rather see them imitate Carnival???

6 hours ago, villauk said:

Kwokpot,

And no one said they hated Ikea. What they did say was that it ‘reminded them of Ikea’

You have obviously found your niche with Edge as you have given such positive reviews of all areas of the ship. Not everyone likes the same things though (see the current reviews on the poll thread), otherwise we’d all be living in identical houses, with identical interiors, doing identical activities 😉. Thank goodness for choice!

My annoyance with that statement is really, what does that actually mean? If people are equating simple, basic modern design with Ikea the fact of the matter is Ikea carries just as much traditional designs as it does modern. Ikea carries wood tone furniture as much as it does solid, primary colors.

With regard to some of their modern designs, many of Ikea products are design 'copies' of other expensive furniture designs. Companies like B&B Italia and Roche Bobois are high end modern furniture companies that are in homes throughout the world and are mainstays in design magazines such as Interior Design, Architecture Digest, and Elle Decor.

I'm not saying people can't like different styles of design but what I am sayings is that particular shorthand expression is most definitely a pejorative, despite what you may think.  

Edited by kwokpot

13 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Right? Viking is expensive so really, would you people rather see them imitate Carnival???

I've sailed all the major American mainstream lines except for Holland and I must admit Carnival cabins are terrible in their designs! I have 16 Carnival cruises under my belt and sailed their flagship, The Carnival Horizon twice last year. Their bathrooms are these one piece blue plastic all in one units and they continue to only use shower curtains! There's no real art on any Carnival ship. Love their Steakhouse though! And the Guy Burgers are yummy(No extra charge) as is their pizza, which is made to order, hand tossed!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

All joking aside, the Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection takes the prize for modern cabins.  A bit different than that out of date Princess cabin, and a bit more upscale than the "Revolution". 😉

Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 2.14.25 PM.png

THAT"S a beautiful stateroom!

38 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

My annoyance with that statement is really, what does that actually mean? If people are equating simple, basic modern design with Ikea the fact of the matter is Ikea carries just as much traditional designs as it does modern. Ikea carries wood tone furniture as much as it does solid, primary colors.

With regard to some of their modern designs, many of Ikea products are design 'copies' of other expensive furniture designs. Companies like B&B Italia and Roche Bobois are high end modern furniture companies that are in homes throughout the world and are mainstays in design magazines such as Interior Design, Architecture Digest, and Elle Decor.

I'm not saying people can't like different styles of design but what I am sayings is that particular shorthand expression is most definitely a pejorative, despite what you may think.  

What it means is pretty simple.

image.png.bd3c8eebece7fd6a66e2f57b9bfe6dba.png

If you look at this picture, which is the one I was discussing.  You can pretty much duplicate this (minus the refrigerator) out of an ikea catalog by combining one of their sliding glass door wardrobes, with one of their upright wall hanging units (Algot) systems.

8 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

What it means is pretty simple.

image.png.bd3c8eebece7fd6a66e2f57b9bfe6dba.png

If you look at this picture, which is the one I was discussing.  You can pretty much duplicate this (minus the refrigerator) out of an ikea catalog by combining one of their sliding glass door wardrobes, with one of their upright wall hanging units (Algot) systems.

And the design also resembles systems from Poliform and Boffi, which is where Ikea gets some of its design inspirations. In other words, you could have mentioned those high end furniture companies but you didn't to prove my very point about making a pejorative comment. 

2 hours ago, cruisefam38 said:

We were on Viking Sun last week, here are pix of our cabin,  IKEA never enter our minds. It was a lovely cruise.

24252A3F-9298-4E39-A724-AFE596CA9A0B.jpeg

C13174A7-5190-4ED4-8C73-73614CEDCD7B.jpeg

E9C45149-2951-46B6-BCB8-EE80AEC61FF1.jpeg

DF7A103D-C551-41A5-9913-E5AAD162B19D.jpeg

75A7040B-27A0-473C-8B0D-1F6214BF98C1.jpeg

C93686D1-2FC2-4476-A132-1EFB507037A8.jpeg

64DF9EF7-3803-4A13-9A23-C50D5E2699B7.jpeg

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

And the design also resembles systems from Poliform and Boffi, which is where Ikea gets some of its design inspirations. In other words, you could have mentioned those high end furniture companies but you didn't to prove my very point about making a pejorative comment. 

However, most people would not know the names Poliform or Boffi, which are not commonly known names, but they certainly know Ikea. If you can duplicate the look out of their catalog then it is not inaccurate to say that it looks like Ikea.

Considering how much furniture Ikea has sold in the US you are telling quite a few people that their furniture is a pejorative.

Edited by RDC1

48 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Actually I could not duplicate it in Poliform (which looks much nicer), Boffi comes closer, they have similar wardrobes, but they don't seem to have a similar wall hanging system (middle or back only vs 4 corner), they do have them with narrow shelves forin their kitchen products, but their closet storage of similar depth all seemed to be 4 corner supported designs, but I could duplicate it almost exactly with the Ikea catalog.

To be honest after going through both of those companies catalogs, the picture referenced still seems more similar to the appearance of Ikea product then either of the two companies you listed.

2 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

However, most people would not know the names Poliform or Boffi, which are not commonly known names, but they certainly know Ikea. If you can duplicate the look out of their catalog then it is not inaccurate to say that it looks like Ikea.

Considering how much furniture Ikea has sold in the US you are telling quite a few people that their furniture is a pejorative.

So are you saying you like the new redesigns for the M & S class staterooms? 

And for the record, I have Ikea furniture all over my home. It's mixed with modern furniture from B&B Italia, Room & Board and other manufacturers. I use their closet system which is a knockoff of the Swedish Elfa closet system. My parents also have Ikea furniture mixed in with their classic Mid century modern furniture. 

Before moving to my present home in Philadelphia, I renovated my Manhattan penthouse kitchen with Ikea kitchen cabinets. 

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

So are you saying you like the new redesigns for the M & S class staterooms? 

And for the record, I have Ikea furniture all over my home. It's mixed with modern furniture from B&B Italia, Room & Board and other manufacturers. I use their closet system which is a knockoff of the Swedish Elfa closet system. My parents also have Ikea furniture mixed in with their classic Mid century modern furniture. 

Before moving to my present home in Philadelphia, I renovated my Manhattan penthouse kitchen with Ikea kitchen cabinets. 

I am saying that it looks like Ikea (My home office is Ikea, so I certainly use their products where appropriate). They certainly have gotten a few dollars of mine in their sales total.

Cannot really say that I like it as a replacement for what is there now.  Too few drawers and would prefer more shelves to be closed.  We hardly ever take a cruise shorter than 20 days.  (this year 20, 32 and  51) storage would appear to be pretty limited and a lot that is normally in drawers or closed cabinets would need to be on open shelves.

Edited by RDC1

13 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

I am saying that it looks like Ikea (My home office is Ikea, so I certainly use their products where appropriate). They certainly have gotten a few dollars of mine in their sales total.

Cannot really say that I like it as a replacement for what is there now.  Too few drawers and would prefer more shelves to be closed.  We hardly ever take a cruise shorter than 20 days.  (this year 20, 32 and  51) storage would appear to be pretty limited and a lot that is normally in drawers or closed cabinets would need to be on open shelves.

If you didn't mean to imply a negative connection to your Ikea comment then I apologize for my characterization of your comment.