Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

34 minutes ago, villauk said:

Esclady,

I do feel that the last photo above (Kwokpot posted) has a very masculine feel. Perhaps it’s just the light in the photo, but it doesn’t appear very warming 🤷‍♀️?

I don't feel it is really masculine.  It is more of what is now being referred to as a minimalist decor. 

We had teal accents in our cabin, instead of the purple, and I was fine with the coloring. The cabinetry, especially the counter tops could have been more elegant like on the S class. But that sleek look goes with the minimalist decor.

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I have not sailed Edge yet, but have seen photos of the safe, and no it has not been eliminated.  It is in, I believe,  some closet space near the bottom, and not where it used to be on S class ships.  I am sure someone who sailed can give you more specific information!

Yes, it's in the closet. 

Be aware: the safe is SMALLER than those on the S class ships. We could hardly fit our 2 iPads, 2 cell phones, wallets, passports, and  jewelry ! Every time we went to take anything out or put it back in, we had to empty out most of the contents. The safe is definitely a “miss”. X could have put a larger safe in the same space.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes, it's in the closet. 

Be aware: the safe is SMALLER than those on the S class ships. We could hardly fit our 2 iPads, 2 cell phones, wallets, passports, and  jewelry ! Every time we went to take anything out or put it back in, we had to empty out most of the contents. The safe is definitely a “miss”. X could have put a larger safe in the same space.

I thought it looked smaller.  I'm use to putting my purse, jewelry and DH's wallet in it.  Don't worry about the cell phone and Kindles though.

56 minutes ago, ecslady said:

The vase has to be the biggest waste of space.  Why can't they just bring it to you upon request if you have flowers to put in it.  

And , personally I wish they would put the lamp on the end of the dresser rather then in the middle.  I think it would give a little more usable counter space.  With it in the middle, you have some space on  the left and some on the right , but I felt it was kind of broken up by the placement of the lamp in the middle.

You had a vase? Our S1 didn’t. We did have a plant though which was by the lamp. Those items along with the ice bucket and square wood frame which had glassware in it took up ALL of the counter space. Kelly Hoppen really knows what cruisers need. 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I thought it looked smaller.  I'm use to putting my purse, jewelry and DH's wallet in it.  Don't worry about the cell phone and Kindles though.

I hope you bring a very small purse. 😊

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The vase is on the dresser next to the attached lamp. The coral piece is in the lighted niche. 

IMG_20181216_124131948.jpg

The Coral piece is not in the same place in the S1's on the aft, it is in the bathroom. Neither is there storage space below it.

Edited by C-Dragons

12 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

You had a vase? Our S1 didn’t. We did have a plant though which was by the lamp. Those items along with the ice bucket and square wood frame which had glassware in it took up ALL of the counter space. Kelly Hoppen really knows what cruisers need. 😉

Yes,  we had the vase. Looked just like the one kwotpot pictured.  And, it is pretty big. You would need a big arrangement to make the vase and flowers feel like they belonged. It actually looked like milkglass with the little nubs, if you know what I mean. Completely worthless and just took up space. 

We did ask for the ice bucket every day which the room steward did do.

Edited by ecslady

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The vase is on the dresser next to the attached lamp. The coral piece is in the lighted niche. 

IMG_20181216_124131948.jpg

IMG_20181217_102848045_HDR.jpg

That vase is hideous! Like the coral piece..both going into storage,!  My florals are an arrangement so no vase needed. 

But we did reverse our position and booked on Summit for 2020..Bayonne to Bermuda Newport and Charleston..great itin! More about the itin than the ship..and our cabin says balcony!

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Esclady,

I do feel that the last photo above (Kwokpot posted) has a very masculine feel. Perhaps it’s just the light in the photo, but it doesn’t appear very warming 🤷‍♀️?

Looks like a detention center or rehab

• Haha 2

When I first saw this thing, I thought the person before us had flowers in the cabin so it was a loaner. It really seemed out of place. My parents used to have some of this hobnail milk glass - not my taste:

image.thumb.png.7a8cd8bf193605f5557b3e9787826827.png

This was what was in the Sky Suites - a little more tasteful, IMO

image.thumb.png.90907014800f9a8af7b2335024a8741a.png

And then in the CS, these were the pieces on display:

image.thumb.png.a284e1fd66d8c672392bb46bf6d6d8d0.png

On 12/31/2018 at 10:20 AM, Oville said:

We’re currently on Viking Ocean Sun and have thought more than once Hcat would really like this cruise line.  It’s a very different experience from X.

We will check that out on your tec...thanks.  probably pricey???

And we shocked ourselves by booking Summit today...May 2020...Newport, Bermuda and Charleston from Bayonne.   Booked for the itin  and at least we'll have a balcony!

Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, Oville said:

Vtcruising, your milk glass comment brought me back to my youth.  My mother had a two piece very small hen on the kitchen window sill to put her rings in while doing dishes.  For me, a happy memory.  Katie

That's sweet. Priceless memories...

9 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Assorted vases, bowls, and other purely decorative items- all ceramic or glass! Someone messed up somewhere as I told one of the concierges, there was a very simple fix.  😉

What is truly mind boggling is the fact that the designer, Ms. Hoppen, didn’t anticipate the movement of a ship and the subsequent impact that would have on all those decorations... sliding across a smooth surface and onto

tne floor!

Her main qualification for the job was that she had never taken a cruise. Does that make it more understandable?

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Her main qualification for the job was that she had never taken a cruise. Does that make it more understandable?

surely they would have had user focus groups for a multi ship massive investment of this nature, including able bodied guests and those with DDA requirements?  Kelly Hoppen might be an expert in cushions but I'm guessing her knowledge of what works for someone in a wheelchair is limited.

I recall at the time many people thought that P&O had made the same blunder when they got Viscount Linley in to design large parts of their Britannia ship

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No, I already knew that, but there is something called “common sense”. 😉

And in my opinion, the fact she had never taken a cruise would have been a major disqualification for the job. 😁

Oh, earlier I forgot to mention “the easy fix” I told the Retreat Concierge for the sliding ceramics: there is a sticky substance called Museum Putty, or Museum Gel. When a small amount is applied to the bottom of a decorative item it prevents movement. Why was this product not used? Again, just common sense.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

No, I already knew that, but there is something called “common sense”. 😉

And in my opinion, the fact she had never taken a cruise would have been a major disqualification for the job. 😁

Not sure how they selected the designers of various spaces...

Or the entertainment  programmers for EDEN, the CLUB, or theater...not sure if this will carry through to the non E class ships????

The  non spring water provider was apparently someone known to an  LLP relative.

The thermal suites and spa designers were experienced...so high hopes for these areas on EDEN and the renovated  S and M Class...M class Persian Gardens really need help!

Edited by hcat

Oh, earlier I forgot to mention “the easy fix” I told the Retreat Concierge for the sliding ceramics: there is a sticky substance called Museum Putty, or Museum Gel. When a small amount is applied to the bottom of a decorative item it prevents movement. Why was this product like this not used? It certainly isn’t expensive. Again, just common sense.

(sorry for the double post, couldn’t edit my previous comments)

Edited by C-Dragons