I can't believe I'm asking this

beachbum53

As a general rule, we typically don't like to book our return flight to come home from our cruise before 12;00 noon. We'll be flying out of FLL (June 2, 2019) on Southwest Airlines. Our choices are 10:15 a.m. or 7:35 p.m. Everything in between is sold out. We really don't want to sit in the airport for 8 or 9 hours. So, (and this is against my better judgement), is catching the 10;15 flight doable, or completely insane to even consider? I know it's not very far from the port terminal to the airport, and if we can be among the first to get off of the ship doing self-debark, we could (IF everything goes well) conceivably be at the airport between 8:30 - 9:00 a.m. But I also know there are no guarantees in life. Has anyone else been faced with a decision like this? If so, how did it work out?

Well, FLL is the only place I would attempt this - I mean, you can see the port from the airport.  That said, you have other options.

If we stick to WN - well, the other flights aren't sold out, it's just that the Wanna Get Away fares are sold out. So you can choose another flight, but it'll be over $400. No, I'm not suggesting you do this, I'm saying you can if you really want to.

Then there are of course other airlines. Looking on ITA Matrix, I'm seeing a 1pm flight on Delta with a 2:30 connection in ATL for $256. More than the early WN flight, but less than the later WN flight (even factoring in luggage fees). To be honest, my choice would probably be between this flight and the 10:15 flight.

I’m not on WN but in the same situation with a10:15 AA flight.

Its not really about me, I just know that my granddaughter will want to get home and her mom will be excited about getting her back safely.

We are in a suite, so I know we’ll be able to get off the ship fast.

We have Global Entry, that will expedite Immigrations and Customs

Taxi will be outside the door

We are in 1st Class so check in will be quick

We will have TSA Pre-Check to get through security.

With all that said, I’m taking the risk. If we don’t make it, no harm no foul.

Im prepared to spend an extra night or whatever until AA can get us out. Since the tickets are fully refundable, there should be no issues with tix.

33 minutes ago, Twickenham said:

Well, FLL is the only place I would attempt this - I mean, you can see the port from the airport.  That said, you have other options.

If we stick to WN - well, the other flights aren't sold out, it's just that the Wanna Get Away fares are sold out. So you can choose another flight, but it'll be over $400. No, I'm not suggesting you do this, I'm saying you can if you really want to.

Then there are of course other airlines. Looking on ITA Matrix, I'm seeing a 1pm flight on Delta with a 2:30 connection in ATL for $256. More than the early WN flight, but less than the later WN flight (even factoring in luggage fees). To be honest, my choice would probably be between this flight and the 10:15 flight.

Thanks Twickenham. We're looking at Delta and AA also. You're right. I should have mentioned that it's the "Wanna Get Away" fares that are sold out. Rather than risk that 10:15 flight, we'll probably spend a few more dollars and book either Delta or AA, and choose a flight time more to our liking.

We have done this in Ft. lauderdale.  I'd rather not, but usually there are no, zip, flights that work for us until 5 or so.

It will be easy to do (in Ft. Lauderdale) unless, of course, something unexpected happens--then you will be looking for another flight, so have a Plan B, if possible.

In November we booked a 5:30 flight out and got off the ship very late--kind of the last call.  After talking to our son, who told us a blizzard was forecast, we quickly got on the phone and managed to change to an 11:15 flight--we were using miles and there was no upcharge.  

Even though we got off the ship about 9:30 we still made it to the airport with plenty of time.  Later learned that our original flight was held up over 3 hours in Dallas for weather and we would have gotten to Omaha about 2:30 AM, with a 2.5 hour flight home.  We do have elite status with the airline, which helps I think.

Blizzard held off until morning, se we made it home fine.

Update. We booked Southwest for our flight to FLL (on the day before our cruise), and booked our return flight on AA. That gave us better choices for flight times. Our return flight will be at 1:00 p.m. As they say in Jamaica, "Irie mon. No worries." :classic_smile:

• Like 2

If you book the 10:15, you should do everything to speed your way. First, you should carry your luggage off. These are the first people to get off. You should take a taxi to the airport. You should send up your best prayers. 

You can probably make it on any decent day, but on a bad day you will be in for a long day. Good luck.

49 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

If you book the 10:15, you should do everything to speed your way. First, you should carry your luggage off. These are the first people to get off. You should take a taxi to the airport. You should send up your best prayers. 

You can probably make it on any decent day, but on a bad day you will be in for a long day. Good luck.

Thanks for your response Paul. I'm guessing you didn't read my update (posted just above your post).  

• Like 1

Even though the drive is only about 15 minutes, I would not risk a 10:15 flight. You need to be at your gte by 9:00 and one hiccup could cause you to still be n the ship at 9:00. Book  the later flight and book a day room on the beach in FLL .

Have done exactly this.  Booked a SW 10:10 out of FLL.  Did a self debark in second group off the Royal Princess.  Cleared customs quickly as no line had yet formed, picked up a cab and we were at the airport well before 8:00AM.  We actually checked in some luggage and cleared security before 8:30 so had time for coffee while waiting at the gate.   Would never try this at any other airport but it is doable at FLL.

8 hours ago, zqvol said:

Even though the drive is only about 15 minutes, I would not risk a 10:15 flight. You need to be at your gte by 9:00 and one hiccup could cause you to still be n the ship at 9:00. Book  the later flight and book a day room on the beach in FLL .

Thank-you for participating. Please scroll back up a bit and read my update.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Another option  would be to travel up to PBI ,where you don't have to compete with the cruse crowd for seats.  Normally about a half hour drive up I95 to the north. 

59 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Read!?! What is this “read” business? We Critics will offer our opinions whether they are needed or not! Why waste time reading what someone else says? They are likely wrong.

But seriously, thank you for coming back with an update on your situation. Saved me from pontificating about risk/reward and the joys of a day spent in the Everglades...

Stan

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wheezedr said:

Have done exactly this.  Booked a SW 10:10 out of FLL.  Did a self debark in second group off the Royal Princess.  Cleared customs quickly as no line had yet formed, picked up a cab and we were at the airport well before 8:00AM.  We actually checked in some luggage and cleared security before 8:30 so had time for coffee while waiting at the gate.   Would never try this at any other airport but it is doable at FLL.

If I were inclined to book that early I would do it at MIA too, it is only about a 10 minute longer ride.

10 hours ago, zqvol said:

Not sure why you need to at the gate by 9. 

2 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

Did you see the movie Groundhog Day?

No matter how many times you come back to ask posters to read your update, you’re going to get comments and advice. 🤪

It's doable. We've done it. It was not fun, and I spent the entire cruise worrying about whether or not I'd make the flight. It was awful. I'd book the later flight, drop your luggage off at the airport, and then go to the beach for the day!

We hear everything the OP says and have often had the same dilemma out of FLL.  Unless the ship were to dock late or have disembarkation delays caused by CBP, that time will be fine.   The key, as the OP suggests, is to do self disembarkation which assumes that the OP can handle all of their own luggage. We are usually at FLL before 8 and once were at FLL at 6:55 (off the ship at 6:30) when doing that scheme and using a taxi or Uber/Lyft.  It is a Sunday morning so traffic will not be a factor and you will be at the terminal in less then 15 min.   Another good thing is that SW (also known as WN) does not charge penalties if one had to change the flight.  Or course that is no guarantee that you get a later flight at the same cost, but it sure beats the penalties assessed by other airlines.

Hank