Driving to Fort Lauderdale and Hilton Marina

teacher2cruiser

We stayed there for four nights a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it there. If you get a Water-View Marina Tower Room with balcony, you can sit out on your balcony and watch the cruise ships come and go (nice view of X ships) and the bridge go up and down to let boats through.

We liked the pool bar/restaurant for lunch and the Waterview for breakfast. We ate at the 15th St Fisheries for dinner a couple of times (can get there by water taxi or land taxi - it's very close, but there's a canal in the way). We try to get there early enough to get a table on the water.

The people were very nice at the hotel - wish we could go back again in 2 weeks but they were booked.  I'm sure you are a H Honors member, but if not, if you join you can get free Wi-Fi. Enjoy!🙂

The water taxi is great, take the taxi at minimal cost and take the full route, you will see the many of the sights at fLL, make sure you take the extension over to Margaritaville.  They have a web site with times, etc.  Great way to view FLL if you haven't been there before.   Lots of places to stop along the way to eat also. 

Love the water taxi.  Agree, take the ride all the way to the Margaritaville stop and just walk around. Between walking along the beach and the taxi ride, your day will be full.  Another option is to get off at Las Olas and walk around there.  Our favorite restaurant stop is Bokampers.

Have stayed here and it is a fantastic hotel and agree with all of the above 

just a heads up the entrance to the hotel by car can be difficult to find as it is a slip road/ramp that is easy to miss and the hotel entrance is not signed

we drove around the hotel about three times before I found it, I just kept missing the ramp.

To be honest we did laugh about it 👍🏻😎

Edited by swigso

8 hours ago, dkjretired said:

The water taxi is great, take the taxi at minimal cost and take the full route, you will see the many of the sights at fLL, make sure you take the extension over to Margaritaville.  They have a web site with times, etc.  Great way to view FLL if you haven't been there before.   Lots of places to stop along the way to eat also. 

Agree! We frequently arrive in Fort Lauderdale after crossing the pond and it is a totally relaxing and easy way to sightsee if you are tired!

9 hours ago, teacher2cruiser said:

My DH and I are driving to Fort Lauderdale and staying at the Hilton Marina the night prior to our cruise on the Equinox in June.  Has anyone had experience with staying there and using the water taxi?  Any suggestions on sightseeing for the afternoon or evening?

A good choice but only if you have a Tower room, the others are a little shabby. Food in the hotel is not great but some good restaurants an easy walk away. Water taxi to Las Olas is a good starting point and use Uber to get to the port, so much cheaper.

We have stayed at Pier 66 before which is across the bridge but have decided to stay at the Hilton Marina in February prior to our cruise because of the close location of the Water Taxi and also because the Hilton gave us coupons for the taxi and were so nice with information when we stopped in.

Be sure to take the taxi in both directions - one goes to the spots mentioned above but for a leisurely ride in the other direction you get to see the beautiful homes with the guide giving interesting stories.

We do enjoy "Happy Hour" at Grille 66 across the bridge near the Pier 66 Hotel.  Dinner can be pricey but what a way to start your cruise vacation.

• Like 1

I don’t know if your parking is included in the hotel but if not I would suggest using Park N Go.   Their rates and service are good and you won’t have to deal with the cruise port traffic.  

We have also met other passengers on the shuttle that became our new cruisng friends.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

16 hours ago, swigso said:

just a heads up the entrance to the hotel by car can be difficult to find as it is a slip road/ramp that is easy to miss and the hotel entrance is not signed

we drove around the hotel about three times before I found it, I just kept missing the ramp.

Will my GPS know the way?

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes the GPS took us right to it but I just kept missing the ramp and turn off 

onto Grande Ave, I could see the hotel but kept missing the entrance slip road.

😱😱

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, miched said:

I don’t know if your parking is included in the hotel but if not I would suggest using Park N Go.   Their rates and service are good and you won’t have to deal with the cruise port traffic.  

We have also met other passengers on the shuttle that became our new cruisng friends.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Tell me how to find out about park and go, please.  I am not familiar.

4 hours ago, teacher2cruiser said:

Tell me how to find out about park and go, please.  I am not familiar.

Here is the link to book your reservation.   It is best to prepay and get the discounted price.   They are very professional and even give you a few small bottles of water when leaving, plus you earn credits for free days.   I have used them many times with no problems.  In the drop down menu select Ft Lauderdale-cruise. Also join the frequent cruiser program to get the free days, there is no cost for it.  

https://www.bookparkngo.com/

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 1/5/2019 at 5:17 AM, swigso said:

I think it's the only access ramp on the right hand side going north and after a stop light and under a bridge ( I think it's north...lol). other side is a condo garage.  Beside the hotel is a bistro.  You should find it okay. You proceed through the lobby to the 6th floor for hotel registration .  Hotel website has a map which should be clearer than what I'm trying to say here.

Edited by oceangoer2

On 1/5/2019 at 6:19 PM, miched said:

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

the hotel offers a parking/room package called "Java Joe"...seriously.  Not sure of the cost;  we were quoted it was included in our room price and the website quotes $30 per day.

9 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

the hotel offers a parking/room package called "Java Joe"...seriously.  Not sure of the cost;  we were quoted it was included in our room price and the website quotes $30 per day.

I have used hotel shuttles in the past and don’t like them.  Sometimes you have to sign up in advance and are assigned a time.  Everyone hangs around the lobby and it is a cluster fuster when they start loading.  It is worse if they don’t assign times as everyone makes a mad dash for the shuttle and if it is full too bad, you wait for the next one.  On the way back you also have to wait for the shuttle to pick you up and get full.

Parking in the off site lot is more convient, less stressful and faster. 

That is my experience and opinion.  Others also have their own.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

43 minutes ago, miched said:

I have used hotel shuttles in the past and don’t like them.  Sometimes you have to sign up in advance and are assigned a time.  Everyone hangs around the lobby and it is a cluster fuster when they start loading.  It is worse if they don’t assign times as everyone makes a mad dash for the shuttle and if it is full too bad, you wait for the next one.  On the way back you also have to wait for the shuttle to pick you up and get full.

Parking in the off site lot is more convient, less stressful and faster. 

That is my experience and opinion.  Others also have their own.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Probably should have mentioned...we park the car in the hotel garage and take a cab to/from the cruise port...less stressful all the way around.  Would NOT take a shuttle at any time.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:36 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Jazz,

I did ask on another thread, but can you not move this thread and others like it to the appropriate ‘Ports of Call’ board?

Thank you 😉.

6 minutes ago, villauk said:

Jazz,

I did ask on another thread, but can you not move this thread and others like it to the appropriate ‘Ports of Call’ board?

Thank you 😉.

I'm not really supposed to act like a Host on this forum (only River Cruising).  The best way to get your concerns addressed is to 'report' the first post in each thread.  That will bring this to the attention of the Host for this forum and the Admins.  I'm not sure what they will do, because when I looked at the other thread it did seem to have a connection to that cruise line.

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not really supposed to act like a Host on this forum (only River Cruising).  The best way to get your concerns addressed is to 'report' the first post in each thread.  That will bring this to the attention of the Host for this forum and the Admins.  I'm not sure what they will do, because when I looked at the other thread it did seem to have a connection to that cruise line.

Okay, thanks for the reply. It appears that the port threads never get moved from the general X board like they do from other cruise lines’ boards. Other  CC members have obviously noticed too as they have posted in the various threads  (see Cruisestitch’s post above for example). I suppose one notices it more when you are frequently using other cruise line boards and see the ‘moved’ notification. 

Not a criticism as I do appreciate the work the hosts do. I will act on your suggestion 😉.