Unused soda glasses, using on different ship

When we used ours in November on Indy, it said on screen that the cups expired two days after the end of our cruise. So, in theory, no, however ...

... on the only working machine on the promenade, throughout the cruise, anyone was able to go and fill up with any cup, chipped or otherwise!! And boy, were they taking advantage lol 

21 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Asking for a friend 😉

Let’s say I have a soda cup I never even open, on Symphony.  Could I give it to a friend on Indy, to use for his cruise the next month, if he doesn’t have a drink package?

I was told by guest services (my drink package cup did not work and he had to give me a new one and we chatted about how that could happen) that the chip in the cup is good for about 25 days and is not ship specific. Also, when you use the cup, the coke machine will tell you how many days are left on the cup. I checked it and it showed 24 days of use left.  So...

If it never got used, it's possible, but I wouldn't.

I noticed at Disney World, when I got a RFID cup, I never used it for soda until the end of our trip (iced tea and coffee didn't read the chip). When I used the soda for the first time, the expiration was a lot further out than I would have expected.

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Asking for a friend 😉

Let’s say I have a soda cup I never even open, on Symphony.  Could I give it to a friend on Indy, to use for his cruise the next month, if he doesn’t have a drink package?

Tell your “friend” to not be cheap and buy the soda package, instead of trying to beat the system...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There was a report on here a while ago from someone that it did work.  The chips activate earn they are used in the machine for the first time then expire a set number of days after their first use.

from a logistics point of view this makes sense as then you are not spending labour activating cups...the machine does it.

• Like 1

No problem...the rest of us will be happy to absorb your “free” soda.   I have seen so many perks go away in our lifetime because people abuse them.  There are no victim less crimes.  Stop screwing it for the rest of us!!!

• Like 4

My daughter and I were on Independence the week before Christmas and her cup had an ending date on it for 2 days after the cruise. All the machines were back in working order and we did not see anyone using other cups! 

8 hours ago, fdthird said:

No problem...the rest of us will be happy to absorb your “free” soda.   I have seen so many perks go away in our lifetime because people abuse them.  There are no victim less crimes.  Stop screwing it for the rest of us!!!

Hi- please note- I am not stealing soda.  I always buy the deluxe drink package.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Hi- please note- I am not stealing soda.  I always buy the deluxe drink package.

But your friend would be if he used your cup to get free soda. No difference between that and your getting a drink with your deluxe package and handing it off to your friend to enjoy. You paid for it but it is for YOUR use only. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fdthird said:

Going from having a reasonable argument for not doing what the OP suggests to “there are victims of those who dance in places where dancing is illegal” is a pretty big jump. I’m going to choose to believe you just tend towards extreme hyperbole.

• Like 1

To quote the OP:

”Asking for a friend 😉

Let’s say I have a soda cup I never even open, on Symphony.  Could I give it to a friend on Indy, to use for his cruise the next month, if he doesn’t have a drink package?”

So you’re “wink wink” asking for a friend?  Well, then your friend is taking something for nothing and what you’re doing is called abetting that, doesn’t really matter that YOU buy the drink package.    Oh, and to the poster who thinks i’m Talking about dancing, I’ve been around long enough to remember perks in lots of places that no longer exist because some customers were pigs.   It’s just the nature of the beast.   

So do whatever you want, but if you ask about it for a friend on an open forum, don’t complain about being painted the same, and don’t think that if this action was done by lots, there wouldn’t be a price paid by others.  

• Like 2

Do you have to carry that cup around to get Soda if you have the Soda package?  I don't mean to sound stupid but this is our first RC cruise and we got the package for our teens.  It just seems like a pain if you have to carry that cup around with you.  

3 minutes ago, ParksFamily5 said:

Do you have to carry that cup around to get Soda if you have the Soda package?  I don't mean to sound stupid but this is our first RC cruise and we got the package for our teens.  It just seems like a pain if you have to carry that cup around with you.  

If you pre-purchased the package, there will be a sticker on their sea pass cards that indicates they have the package, and all they need to do is show their cards at any bar to get served.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ParksFamily5 said:

No, you can get soda from a bar or restaurant with your SeaPass card.  However, you cannot use the Freestyle machine without the cup, so you will only have a choice of around 6 different flavors without the Freestyle machine.

• Like 1