Lose your mind in 3... 2... theres a shortage of escargot

Yanicka24

8 hours ago, evandbob said:

If there is indeed a shortage of escargot, it might only be reflected in their absence from the MDR menu.

If you pay extra for the Steakhouse, well, they might still be available there.

Not on the new steakhouse menu. That was the controversy the last time SlugGate happened.

8 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

That makes 2 of us.  Why don’t they also add fried ants or grasshoppers and market it as an appetizer trio 

And this makes 3 of us.  I don’t care because I’m not eating that crap 

4 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

This is gonna be bigger than that time they had a cocktail shrimp shortage.   i cancelled 2 cruises over that!  i have 2 more coming up and I gonna cancel those as well!   I NEED SNAILSSSSSSSS

Lol, good times with the shrimp cocktail shortage and menu removal.

• Like 1

I can tell you there is no shortage of snails. My garden is full of them.

There is a shortage of cheap snails. The world consumes about 1 billion Euro's worth of snails. This year there is about a 100,000 Ton shortage. 

The shortage has caused the prices to double. For our restaurants we buy snails produced in Ireland (no they are not green) and brined in Greece and packed in 1 Kg jars. They hold about 100 snails and cost $60. These snails have a bland taste and permits the chefs to use spices of their choice to add flavor. 

I am sure Carnival can spring $3 per order to continue to serve snails. Personally, I'd rather enjoy caviar with onion, egg, and toast points. Except that would cost $15 plated, and we know Carnival is not going for that! 

I was looking at MDR menus for RC not long ago, and I noticed it looked like they offer escargot nightly...but, printed in fine print on the menu is a notice stating escargot may not be available due to a worldwide shortage. So, I guess it's not just a Carnival cutback. 

7 hours ago, Moviela said:

I can tell you there is no shortage of snails. My garden is full of them.

There is a shortage of cheap snails. The world consumes about 1 billion Euro's worth of snails. This year there is about a 100,000 Ton shortage. 

The shortage has caused the prices to double. For our restaurants we buy snails produced in Ireland (no they are not green) and brined in Greece and packed in 1 Kg jars. They hold about 100 snails and cost $60. These snails have a bland taste and permits the chefs to use spices of their choice to add flavor. 

I am sure Carnival can spring $3 per order to continue to serve snails. Personally, I'd rather enjoy caviar with onion, egg, and toast points. Except that would cost $15 plated, and we know Carnival is not going for that! 

Thank God you own a restaurant , because I was thinking you knew waaayy to much about snails!!!  I personally have never tried them and don’t see myself ever getting past the negative image I have of eating them. I’m pretty much a Guys Burger type on the cruise but if I had enough of those free alcohol drinks (700.00 dollar cheers package) I might try one. I live in South Texas and was forced to try Menudo one time, so I might man up and try one. 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:32 AM, Yanicka24 said:

John Heald posted this morning there is a shortage of escargot and it make effect availability in the MDR on sailings. 

Will this be the new thing to break the internet?? 

No one in our traveling group of 11 will care.  Someone else can have our escargot, because we think they are NASTY. And, yes, we have tasted them on a previous Carnival cruise.

Edited by MississippiMom

Don't get me wrong, i do like the escargot.   I eat them on every cruise, but that being said, if there is a shortage, then there is a shortage.  it will not ruin my cruise, i will not email John Heald and complain that Carnival should have forseen this shortage and started Snail farms years ago in order to maintain their high levels of snail consumption. I won't demand a FREE thing because of the inconvenience.   you KNOW some people will do this.  I'm sure, much like the shrimp cocktail, they will come back eventually.   

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 8:12 AM, Jamman54 said:

This has happened in the past, and i'm with SkyMaster! :classic_biggrin:

I thought you and Patty are Diamond, Kryptonite, Moon Rock Cruiser! Hurry up and go on another cruise...I need to have a trip report to read!

Edited by ktmush2