Dining room dress code

I know that they have relaxed the dress codes for what used to be formal night. My wife and I are sailing next month for our 25th anniversary, our first cruise in almost 3 years. Do most people still dress up on that night or is it indeed more casual dress? Just want some info for packing consideration. Thanks.

This is a sticky question.

I dress and my family does. We enjoy the chance to use the fancier clothing in our closets. That said, many people do not. Some show up in slacks and a golf shirt. Life has become more casual and many people just do not pack for fancy events or even want them anymore. 

3 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

I dress and my family does. We enjoy the chance to use the fancier clothing in our closets. That said, many people do not. Some show up in slacks and a golf shirt. Life has become more casual and many people just do not pack for fancy events or even want them anymore. 

Thanks for your reply. As long as some still are I won't feel as if we are sticking out by dressing up that night. It's one of the few times my wife gets me to dress up as it is.

I have a 16 yr old granddaughter that looks forward to longer cruises just so she can wear all her fancy dresses.  She has been cruising since just 10 mo old and it is her favorite way to spend a holiday. There is also a second grader, that wanted 2 dresses for the dress up nights on an upcoming cruise, in addition to her Christmas pageant dress. She was so silly asking Santa about his choices for a cruise dress. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cruisingsince94 said:

I know that they have relaxed the dress codes for what used to be formal night. My wife and I are sailing next month for our 25th anniversary, our first cruise in almost 3 years. Do most people still dress up on that night or is it indeed more casual dress? Just want some info for packing consideration. Thanks.

Despite all the teeth-gnashing and moaning om these boards, about how people don't get dressed-up like they used to, I found that on formal night, most men wear suits, Or at least a suit jacket without tie.  Or maybe a tie without jacket.  By "most", I mean at least 50%. So you won't feel over-dressed. These have been 7 or 9 night Caribbean cruises.

The non-formal nights, anything goes but again, most men wear polo shirts & Docker style pants.

3 hours ago, sandy toes said:

Why don’t you dust them off and wear them onshore?

I dress up every night. Doesn’t matter the dress code. And what everyone else wears means absolutely nothing to me nor does it impact my good time. Wear what makes you comfortable and happy, whenever you want. If they let you in whatever venue you are dining in dressed the way you are, go for it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sandy toes said:

That's funny, I haven't heard that term since 1977...

17 hours ago, cruisingsince94 said:

Thanks for your reply. As long as some still are I won't feel as if we are sticking out by dressing up that night. It's one of the few times my wife gets me to dress up as it is.

Don't EVER feel uncomfortable by abiding by the Suggested Dress Code. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, briehon said:

I dress up every night. Doesn’t matter the dress code. And what everyone else wears means absolutely nothing to me nor does it impact my good time. Wear what makes you comfortable and happy, whenever you want. If they let you in whatever venue you are dining in dressed the way you are, go for it. 

This quote should end all dress code threads.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

This quote should end all dress code threads.

Thank you...I think so too. My family of 16 just got off a Carnival New Years Cruise, most of them are not avid cruisers. Most of us dressed up every night and I told them about the dress code rumblings on these boards. They said they honestly didnt even notice what others wore in the MDR or at specialty restaurants and it certainly didn’t affect them or their good time. Not sure why it affects other people.

• Like 1

We will be on the LOTS next month on our first cruise in many years. We plan to catch the sunrise every morning and be in bed by 10:00 every night. We're not night club people, but more of the cocktails, humor, and good conversation types. Formal dress is out, so we will be skipping the MDR on formal nights. What do recommend we wear on other nights in the MDR, to catch some shows, or drop in one of the bars for after dinner cocktails? I'm a big fan of khaki shorts (sometimes plaid) and polo shirts or t shirt. Are there places where a polo, khaki shorts and open toe footwear would stand out as under dressed?

22 hours ago, cruisingsince94 said:

Everyone on the boards knows that this topic is a source of consternation for many people. Our cruise on the OAS the week of Christmas leaned more towards folks coming closer to the dress suggestions on the formal nights in the MDR. You still see a wide window of clothing choices by many folks. The people that do seem to stand out the most, at least noticed by our 3 sons who have been cruising for the past 10 years, are the occasional ones wearing shorts with flip flops in the MDR. That is rare. Their cruise, their choice.

For simplicity when packing I have not brought a sport coat for formal night on our past couple of cruises. I would always take it off at the table so .......... I still wear a tie and a long sleeve dress shirt on formal nights. Spouse loves to dress beautifully. The boys like to wear bow ties with vests on formal nights. One thing that drives my wife crazy is that on 4 of our last 6 cruises we have been seated at a table for six with just our family. And I have reduced bringing one short sleeve polo shirt for the non-formal nights. I repeat one shirt from the first night and on the last night and it drives my wife crazy. My take is that I wear the darn thing for about 3 to 4 hours if that. Hope you have an outstanding cruise.

Edited by baileybrad

2 minutes ago, baileybrad said:

Everyone on the boards knows that this topic is source of consternation for many people. Our cruise on the OAS the week of Christmas leaned more towards folks coming closer to the dress suggestions on most nights in the MDR. You still see a wide window of clothing choices for folks. The people that do seem to stand out the most, at least noticed by our 3 sons who have been cruising for the past 10 years, are the occasional ones wearing shorts with flip flops in the MDR. That is rare. Their cruise, their choice. For simplicity when packing I have not brought a sport coat for formal night on our past couple of cruises. I would always take it off at the table so .......... I still wear a tie and a long sleeve dress shirt on formal nights. Spouse loves to dress beautifully. The boys like to wear bow ties with vests on formal nights. One thing that drives my wife crazy is that on 4 of our last 6 cruises we have been seated at a table for six with just our family. And I have reduced bringing one short sleeve polo shirt for the non-formal nights. I repeat one shirt from the first night and on the last night and it drives my wife crazy. My take is that I wear the darn thing for about 3 to 4 hours if that. Hope you have an outstanding cruise.

What if you get gravy on your shirt?

12 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

We will be on the LOTS next month on our first cruise in many years. We plan to catch the sunrise every morning and be in bed by 10:00 every night. We're not night club people, but more of the cocktails, humor, and good conversation types. Formal dress is out, so we will be skipping the MDR on formal nights. What do recommend we wear on other nights in the MDR, to catch some shows, or drop in one of the bars for after dinner cocktails? I'm a big fan of khaki shorts (sometimes plaid) and polo shirts or t shirt. Are there places where a polo, khaki shorts and open toe footwear would stand out as under dressed?

I'm not sure why this was merged with a discussion about formal nights in the MDR, when I'm specifically asking about everything but formal nights in the MDR??

33 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

What if you get gravy on your shirt?

I will borrow one of yours or one of my older sons. Actually, my wife carries a Tide stick for us boys. But since I am a well coordinated athlete, I am able to dodge falling gravies, sauces and whatever no matter their take off point.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FrankNBrew said:

Frank, don't feel like you have to skip the MDR on "Formal Nights" especially on the second one if you like lobster & prime rib. Remember Liberty sails out of Texas and we Texans consider a nice pair of jeans as formal attire. 😉

I've seen plenty of guy's wearing khaki shorts and polo's everywhere around the ship including the MDR  every night. I've seen shorts, T-Shirts and sandals in the specialty restaurants as well. Most nights you will see men dressed in slacks (khakis being my go to) with short or long sleeve button down or polo shirts. There are those that enjoy dressing to the 9's (me not being one of them) that like to take advantage of the photo op's through out the ship during those "Formal Nights"

Like you I'm usually in bed early so don't get out to the bars or clubs late at night being a early bird that likes to wake up go down and grab a cup of coffee (tip bring you own Yeti or Artc) and head out to find a prime location to watch the sunrise. 

• Like 1

My granddaughter just read this thread and said, "The main thing is to make the cruise YOUR holiday and to have fun."

I certainly have to agree.

She reminded me of our last cruise and the tension in the elevator.

A man about in his mid 30's said he didn't know why there were people that expected him to dress up on his vacation. He was in cut off jeans and a tank with something on it. A younger lady, late 20's-maybe 30, in very fancy formal wear, said she liked to follow the guidelines in the Compass. He said, "F the Compass and you" and left on the next floor.

I had 2 children with me (we were all dressed sort of Sunday best and 2 other couples each had kiddos with them(one family extremely formal the other more like us). The young lady apologized again and again to us all. But she had nothing to apologize for. He was the one that acted like the donkeys rear end, not her. 

Different itineraries seem to have either a more formal or a more relaxed feel all cruise long.  

Wear what makes you comfortable and just be nice.

No reason to say mean things to others about how they are dressed, up or down. 

I'm a live and let live guy and tend to be non confrontational. However, I can't really see why their is debate or confusion on the issue of formal nights. If the club, hotel, resort, or ship I am visiting has rules and guidelines then I follow them. I should be expected to. I expect others to follow as well. It does affect my experience. If I go to burger king and someone walks in wearing sandals and shorts I don't care. I would not want to see that if I took my wife to a nice steak house. On every ship I have been on their is a formal night. And a buffet. 

I get it you are on vacation but you knew the rules going in.