Changing wardrobe

In preparing for your cruise(s), how often do you mentally change what you plan on bringing?  I leave in 3 days and I think in the past 2 days alone, I have switched every day’s outfit a few times over.

Is this just me?? Of course the weather reports have flip flopped around from sunny and gorgeous to stormy a few times too so that doesn’t help.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

I have traveled so much that when I pack the night before a cruise or land vacation, it takes me about 15 minutes to get my one piece of 21" luggage filled.

You pack early.

I pack the morning I leave.   And for a work trip, manage to pack 2 checked bags in about 20 minutes.

But, like you, as a guy, I pack pretty much the same thing.  I swap around casual shirts, but they of the same type/look, just different ones.

You will likely be able to re-wear things more than once, if you're on a warm weather destination....especially if you're in swimwear most of the day.  The shorts I wear to breakfast are only on for about 1 hour....then it's into the bathing suit!  I can wear those shorts several times!

2-3 weeks out I will start putting those things I won't need in the suitcase.  Things like my "always ready to go" first aid and toiletries.  My raincoat, my dressier clothes.  

Regarding day-to-day clothing I go over and over a mental checklist starting about the same time.

A couple of days before I start to pack for real.  Could be longer than that, it really depends on timing.  I like to have a dedicated hour or two just for packing without distraction.  Not always easy!

And yes, I change my mind about what I bring at least 3-4 times before I get it right.

I do some swapping around - it's just part of the anticipation process, looking forward to actually starting the cruise.  Mostly, I find myself paring down what I'd previously planned.  For example, on my upcoming 10-night cruise I will take a pants outfit and 5 dresses.  Several of the dresses will be worn twice - once plain, once with a shrug or sweater to change the look a bit.  For daytime, my clothes are small enough that I don't need to repeat the tops but I do have 2 tops for every bottom.  All the daytime clothes fit into a single medium sized packing cube, and they've been packed since last weekend.  The evening stuff will go into the larger packing cube by Thursday, since I'm leaving Friday for my Sunday cruise (spending a couple nights on the beach on the way down to the port).

Sue/WDW1972

I, too, keep a general  cruise packing list on the computer and customize it for the particular cruise ( destination, activities, etc), adding specific items, etc  A few days before I compile everything on the guest room bed and cull the pile, prioritizing the items into "Must takes", "Nice if I have room," and "Can do without."  The day before we leave I put the things in suitcases ( I take what I can personally handle, usually a 22" or smaller roller bag  and a small overnighter)  Priority items go in first  and then a couple of the would be nice items. After multiple cruises, I have thus down pretty well.

Packing is not really that much fun.  When Mrs Ldubs says I have to, my eyes kind of glaze over and my brain shuts down.  So, at least as far as I know, once it is in the bag, it is there for keeps.     

Neither of us needs a list.  DW does it the day before.  I do it the night we fire we have a very early flight.  We could both be packed and out of the house in 15 minutes.  I would be ok with it, DW would feel rushed but could do it.   The caveat is that we each take a 20’ roller so there is not a lot to pack.

To pack, I just mentally go through my morning routine.

Shower and shave, so in goes the toiletries bag.  I travel enough, I have separate items for travel, but I refill the shampoo, check the toothpaste level, refill my Q-tip container.

Then I mentally dress.  Underwear, put enough in the bag.  T-shirts, put in the bag.  Socks, put in the bag.  Shirts, determine how many dress, casual, polo, and T, fold, put in the bag.  Pants, long and short, normally 2 long, 1 short, do I need dress pants, put in the bag.  Suit, if needed, in the bag with ties.  Belts, if needed for dress (I wear my casual belt), put in the bag.  Shoes, wear one pair (slip on if flying), carry more if needed, always flip-flops, put in the bag.  Coats and sweater, if cold weather, put in the bag.

Then the side stuff,  bathing suits, workout gear, special items (maybe snorkel gear, etc), put in the bag.  Sun screen and after sun, if pool or beach destination, put in the bag.  Snacks and drinks, if required (not typically for a cruise, but I use the SAME PROCEDURE for all travel), put in the bag.

Done.

This method gets me packed in less than 30 minutes, and so far, I have not forgotten any major items.