Stay cool folks

Ok. Adelaide has officially melted. 47 here yesterday. Unbelievable. Air conditioners could not cope. Hottest day since records began. One thing evident is how urban build-up traps the heat. That’s where the climate change issue kicks in for me. Concrete brick and asphalt retain heat long after the source has gone.

The cat has flaked it. He’s fine he’s just a drama queen.

8258f46f6d9b703d2582c874361db819.jpg

Even the furniture inside was hot to touch. Metal door knobs hot.

It’s cooler today but last night it was still 40 at 9pm. How? We need a good wind to come in and clear the air out. And so we can get some sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A warm 32C outside today in Batemans Bay.  Uncle Les let me inside into the A/C.  Woof, woof.  Yes, I know both of us have been attending too many cruise ship buffets.

Les and Bindi   Jan 2018.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Dropped 15degrees+ here in 15 minutes.

Down from 42+ to 27.

now to get some cool into the house.

I’m trying to do that in Adelaide but there’s no breeze to get the air out and in. So still hot inside. 

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Dropped 15degrees+ here in 15 minutes.

Down from 42+ to 27.

now to get some cool into the house.

It's still close to 30 and a little humid in the south eastern suburbs. Too warm to open up the house yet - only warm breeze, not cool at all. Air con is still on. I think it reached 43.8 before the change.

25 tops for the next 2 days. Much more comfortable but still hot conditions in the north of the state. Some areas will have had 12 days of 40 plus temperatures. I guess you become used to it. 

Leigh

Oh my goodness, I nearly melted yesterday! Little old by the sea Port Lincoln hit 48.3 degrees just before 2pm and that was next to the water, where the official temperature is taken! I'm fairly sure it was over 50 where we are, over the back of the hill. I spent the day trying to keep animals comfortable and was quite glad to start work at 4.30 and enjoy the air conditioning.

Thank goodness it's back to our usual mid to high twenties today and for the foreseeable future.

21 hours ago, Pushka said:

The cat has flaked it. He’s fine he’s just a drama queen.

8258f46f6d9b703d2582c874361db819.jpg

So cute.   My poor moggy as furry as drama queen above and 16 years old has her fur matted a little - poor thing.

Not so hot at the moment.   Should be a better day today with 25 degrees in Melbourne.

45 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Australia 's heatwave has crossed the Tasman ..

150 year old records have been broken ,temps approaching 40C as heatwave fed from Australia sweeps across New Zealand

And I’m betting no air conditioning either. We reached an all time record in Adelaide. 47C. Absolutely disgusting. 

Mind you, I remember some very hot days in NZ when I was a teenager, which is more years ago than I care to say. The heat waves always came the week after schools went back! 

Perhaps not as hot as this week though.

11 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And I’m betting no air conditioning either. We reached an all time record in Adelaide. 47C. Absolutely disgusting. 

No air con but lots heaps of Heat Pumps that heat in winter and cool in summer. We dont have one as we are on a hill and get what ever breeze is blowing.......on a like it or not basis. ..:classic_huh:

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

Hope that cool change gets to us soon.

A few hours before it hits the Central Coast old son.  But it will happen for you this evening.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

A few hours before it hits the Central Coast old son.  But it will happen for you this evening.

Probably an hour or so from the CC to me in the valley then, at least there might be some sleep tonight

Edited by GUT2407

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

As we speak @ 1.05pm, the southerly is coming through here, 48 k/h SSE.  Dropped temperature down to a nice 27C.

It's very nice to have a cool change after a hot spell. You will have had the cool change we had in Melbourne yesterday - except ours was more than just a cool change - a great lightning show, rolling thunder, strong wind and heavy rain.

Leigh