Excursion ratings

Grburkart

In booking my excursions directly from Princess, I noticed that they are rated easy, moderate and strenuous. 

An excursion, for example, that I want to do is “Ultimate Rome”. It’s rated as strenuous. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how strenuous is strenuous? 

I’m 59 years old, a fair bit overweight but I have all my faculties. I don’t require assistance to walk or climb or even mud wrestle. But strenuous means something different for a 20 year old than it does for someone my age. I realize I wouldn’t be able to participate in a rugby game but I should be able to go on a tour. Any thoughts?

BTW I’m on the Emerald in October. 

Glenn

10 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

In booking my excursions directly from Princess, I noticed that they are rated easy, moderate and strenuous. 

An excursion, for example, that I want to do is “Ultimate Rome”. It’s rated as strenuous. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how strenuous is strenuous? 

I’m 59 years old, a fair bit overweight but I have all my faculties. I don’t require assistance to walk or climb or even mud wrestle. But strenuous means something different for a 20 year old than it does for someone my age. I realize I wouldn’t be able to participate in a rugby game but I should be able to go on a tour. Any thoughts?

BTW I’m on the Emerald in October. 

Glenn

They do sometimes overstate the amount of energy required on some of these excursions.

However......remember some passengers could be older than you and be mobility challenged so Princess will play it on the safe side.

There could be......

Vehicles are very limited in Rome in many areas as to where they can go........ there can be uneven streets and sidewalks, walks in from where vehicles are parked and Rome can be very hot.

• Like 1

I would imagine that "strenuous" rating would be for the average person.

I just went to look at that excursion. It is lots of walking and standing so that is what they mean by "strenuous". In fact I don't see a rating like that on the description of the tour that I found.

There are lots of caveats about crowds and parts of the tour that could be changed or cancelled due to crowding. This is why I prefer spending a few days in a city like Rome instead of trying to do all the listed things in one day.

When I was in Rome the visit to St Peters and the Vatican Museum were my activities for one day!

• Like 1

Hi have done this tour a couple of years ago. the order we seen the sights was reversed. The tour gives you a good over view of the high lights of Rome. The day is long but so worth it. You sound like you should do just fine on the tour. If someone has difficulty walking this would not be the tour for them. The walk was fairly flat with some slight incline and cobble stone streets. I would recommend wearing a good a pair of waling shoes.   When we did the tour we started out at the Colosseum then back on the bus and dropped off to see the Trevi fountain with a little time for shopping then we walked to the  Hotel Savoy for lunch. Then it was off to the Vatican which is fantastic. then it was time to board the bus back to the ship. The tour is a long day as you start about 7am and are back to the ship about 5 pm. When you are walking it is at easy pace. The thing I was most surprised about is the toilets do not have toilet sets at the hotel and at the Colosseum. I also remember there being a lot of kittens at the Colosseum. This tour used head sets which is great as you can hear the guide while you are looking at the different things to see. And taking photos. We were there mid September and the weather was warm but not hot.  Hope this helps and you have a fantastic day in Rome. We did put a coin in the Trevi fountain and did go back to  Rome again this time we did ROM 170 which we really enjoyed. If you have any question I will try and answer them. 

• Like 1

I took this same tour last May.  There is lots of walking, standing, and crowds to deal with.  There will be some stairs and uneven surfaces and cobblestone streets. Security lines were not unreasonable as our guide was usually able to expedite that.          

As already stated, tour vehicles can only get you a certain distance from attractions, and then everyone has to walk the remaining distance.  There was a nice lunch break in the middle of the tour where we got a good meal and a rest break.

I’m older than you and there were people older than me on our tour.  You’ll be fine.

Enjoy, and be ready to take lots of pictures.

• Like 2

I rarely do ships tours any more but it is my experience that they tend to rate things in a way to attempt to avoid problems.  Strenuous to them generally means lots of walking , at a reasonable pace, with lots of standing and maybe some small climbs.

if you do much regular walking at home you should be fine.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your words and advice. I would feel comfortable that I can endure the situation and I shouldn’t encounter any problems. Having said that, it also wouldn’t hurt for me to go on an exercise and diet regiment to combat the unknown. 

I’ve now completed booking all my excursions so I’m ready to go! 9 more months to go. Lol

Glenn

You’ve been given some good feedback, Glenn. Tours in large cities are strenuous only in the amount of walking that is required. However, with the large size of the Princess groups (main reason we don’t do ship tours) and the inherent crowds in a tourist destination, the walking will be pretty slow paced. On the other hand, come join me and my jr high students on our spring break trips where we’ve averaged 18 km a day (26 in Madrid!) in very fast paced walking tours 😁.

As others have said, good walking shoes (better quality runners) with decent grip are an absolute must. It’s easy to turn an ankle on those uneven cobblestones.

From your various posts on this board, it’s obvious to see that you’re doing a lot of prep for this cruise, asking all the right questions. You mentioned elsewhere that you start and finish in Barcelona. Four visits there in 6 years will tell you that it’s one of my absolute favourite places!

40 minutes ago, h-sar said:

You’ve been given some good feedback, Glenn. Tours in large cities are strenuous only in the amount of walking that is required. However, with the large size of the Princess groups (main reason we don’t do ship tours) and the inherent crowds in a tourist destination, the walking will be pretty slow paced. On the other hand, come join me and my jr high students on our spring break trips where we’ve averaged 18 km a day (26 in Madrid!) in very fast paced walking tours 😁.

As others have said, good walking shoes (better quality runners) with decent grip are an absolute must. It’s easy to turn an ankle on those uneven cobblestones.

From your various posts on this board, it’s obvious to see that you’re doing a lot of prep for this cruise, asking all the right questions. You mentioned elsewhere that you start and finish in Barcelona. Four visits there in 6 years will tell you that it’s one of my absolute favourite places!

Thank you very much for the words and advice. I actually bought some hiking boots specifically for the big city tours, those being Athens and Rome. I also spent the large by choosing the small group tours in hopes of not being overcrowded. And to add to it, I bought a “stick chair”. If you’re not sure what that is, look it up. The pictures of people using it aren’t flattering but it could be a useful tool. 

My concern is my weight. I need to lose a lot of weight before my trip. 

I’d take my bicycle to work everyday but it’s too hard to get in the trunk!

Glenn

2 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

And to add to it, I bought a “stick chair”. If you’re not sure what that is, look it up. The pictures of people using it aren’t flattering but it could be a useful tool. 

My concern is my weight. I need to lose a lot of weight before my trip. 

I’d take my bicycle to work everyday but it’s too hard to get in the trunk!

Glenn

I’ve often looked on in envy at those stick chairs, especially in long entry lines at tourist sites! Good luck with your health regimen - it’s not an easy task, but the results are literally life enhancing/prolonging.

Hi I have one thing to say if you are going to the Acropolis make sure you have shoes that an non slip as the marble is slicker than black ice at -10 below. We used to like in Edmonton.I almost slipped a couple of times if not for my walking stick. Also have never had this happen before but i got very dizzy part way up on the stairs while watching the guards descend. and had to hold onto husband so i would not fall. We did a ship tour( ATH 105) here and had lots of time so there is  need to rush. Just be careful on the marble steps and the marble stone at the top.  You have a fabulous itinerary. The sail in and sail out of Kotor is not to be missed especially the sail in with the sun rising the mist burning off.

Glenn - first some general recommendations for visiting anywhere in Europe:

• comfortable shoes are essential!  If they are new, make sure you break them in before the cruise.
  • cobblestone streets can be dangerous to everyone regardless of age, physical ability, etc.  Pay close attention and take care.

Specifically for Rome from someone who lived there for 5 years and whose last visit was 5 days of touring just 3 months after having both hips replaced and still using a cane:

• the Forum and the Palatine Hill have some stone walkways.  Take your time and, again, be cognizant of where you step.
  • steps, especially those made of marble, are no one's friend.  You will find them in some churches, catacombs, and outdoors (Piazza Venezia, Capitoline Hill, etc.).  Hold the handrails and take it slow. If you visit the Colosseum there is an elevator designated 'handicap' - take that because the stairs there are treacherous!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by capriccio

On 1/26/2019 at 7:17 PM, riffatsea said:

I would imagine that "strenuous" rating would be for the average person.

I just went to look at that excursion. It is lots of walking and standing so that is what they mean by "strenuous". In fact I don't see a rating like that on the description of the tour that I found.

There are lots of caveats about crowds and parts of the tour that could be changed or cancelled due to crowding. This is why I prefer spending a few days in a city like Rome instead of trying to do all the listed things in one day.

When I was in Rome the visit to St Peters and the Vatican Museum were my activities for one day!

Yes totally agree with you .We also used one complete day with a guide to see the Vatican museum ,Sistene Chapel &  St Peters  .Better to spend a week in Rome ^& still not see every thing .There is 1000 churches in the eternal city  LOL

We did cities in Europe in our late 60s &  early 70s ,. now at  80 I think twice before taking long flights from San Diego  or Los Angeles Intl to Europe  .  Also , the cobble stone streets & uneven  side walks in many areas are not walking friendly in many locals  ,git to remember much of Europe is well over 1000 years old .   The architecture is so very unique &  that is why when we first return we say how plain our buildings look  . We are history & culture  buffs  . We have had a grand time touring the different countries ;but ,not off a cruise ship 

On 1/26/2019 at 9:28 PM, Stonewolf Cruiser said:

I took this same tour last May.  There is lots of walking, standing, and crowds to deal with.  There will be some stairs and uneven surfaces and cobblestone streets. Security lines were not unreasonable as our guide was usually able to expedite that.          

As already stated, tour vehicles can only get you a certain distance from attractions, and then everyone has to walk the remaining distance.  There was a nice lunch break in the middle of the tour where we got a good meal and a rest break.

I’m older than you and there were people older than me on our tour.  You’ll be fine.

Enjoy, and be ready to take lots of pictures.

great post.  Did ya notice the lack of handicap features such as hand railing wheel chair ramps etc..  that are prevalent in U S ?

In my experience, Princess is really good at describing their excursions.  What they mean by strenuous should be right in their literature or website.  Better yet is to click on 'book the excursion' or more info online and it will say how far to walk, how many steps, etc.  At least, that is what I saw for the Alaska excursions.  Quite impressive compared to other cruise lines. 

Thank you to all for the advice and tips. I’m an advocate of having the best footwear possible be it at work or at play. I bought a pair of hiking boots for the events. Not that I’ll need something that robust but it’s the ankle support that I’m interested in. 

I’m on a 22 day cruise of the Mediterranean with 15 ports of call. I have all of the excursions booked now, 4 of them being classed as strenuous. I have confidence now that I’ll be fine. 

Just for kicks and giggles, and I had a spare $80.00 (cad) floating around, I bought a “Stick Chair”. I’ll use that as a back up. It just might come in handy. 

Glenn

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

If you go into the cruise details it states that you'll walk 3520 yards (2 miles) all day long (10.5 hrs). Can you do that? 

Screenshot_20190131-195528_Chrome.jpg

Thank you for pointing that out! For some reason I missed that. 

Yes, I can do that. 

Glenn

Grburkart, Another bit of advise. Start wearing those boots around town. Get them broken in. Make sure they will be comfortable for long walking. Bad time to find out they just don't work, once you are on the cruise. Carry some bandaids with you incase a blister breaks out.