Drinks package

We are sailing with sea princess 2020 I have been reading that drinks are expensive and that gratuities are automatically put on the price of drinks . Should we purchase the drinks package? First cruise with Princess been on RC before and always had drinks package. 

The gratuity is added to the cost of the drinks package, also. The question is this- do you drink enough to justify spending the money on a drinks package? If the answer is yes then buy it. If the answer is no then don't. We are planning to have our first drink package on our upcoming Royal cruise.

• Like 1

Completely a personal choice. My hubby and I don't drink a lot, so we don't buy the drink package, but our friends that we go with do. For them it is worth the money - for the few drinks that my hubby and I have, it is cheaper to pay one by one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions regarding the Norwegian Drink Package on the 11-day Southern Caribbean Epic Cruise with 9 (nine!) ports. We like to drink on vacation and have never purchased the drink package. When I compare pricing for an inside cabin or balcony with the "free" drink package selected to the Sailaway rate (comparable cabin), it seems that the drink package is costing roughly $1000 for two people (drink gratuity of $435 included). None of the free offers are available when the Sailaway rate is selected. I was informed all top shelf alcohol is included on this sailing which is a nice perk. My questions are mainly directed to those who are frugal but really enjoy drinking on vacation 🙂

+ If you've taken this cruise (or one with minimal sea days), what are your thoughts about the drink package? Would you choose this option again? Considering we'll likely drink on the islands during the day, I'm wondering if others found the package a good value. We've always brought our own alcohol on the ship but the restrictions seem tighter now. Any helpful feedback appreciated!

+ I have quotes from agencies that include the drink package on this sailing for roughly $500 with the stipulation that we are responsible for our gratuities. Has anyone had a deal similar and how does that work? Do we need to write in a tip for each drink or is there a specific gratuity (20%?) added to our bill for each drink we order?

+ Are you able to take drinks (alcohol) off the ship? 

Thank you!! 

Edited by stellababy

Just now, stellababy said:

I have a few questions regarding the Norwegian Drink Package on the 11-day Southern Caribbean Epic Cruise with 9 (nine!) ports. We like to drink on vacation and have never purchased the drink package.

I would  ask over on the NCL forum how it actually works

each line have different rules

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stellababy said:

🙂:

+ I have quotes from agencies that include the drink package on this sailing for roughly $500 with the stipulation that we are responsible for our gratuities. Has anyone had a deal similar and how does that work? Do we need to write in a tip for each drink or is there a specific gratuity (20%?) added to our bill for each drink we order?

Thank you!! 

In regards to NCL They charge a 20% gratuity on top of the advertised price, which you pay upfront. No tips required on the ship. Your agent looks like they are saying you are responsible for this tip. This can be quite substantial, so you need to ask them exactly how much this is.

I think NCL drink package is outrageously expensive and I would only get it if it was included in the cruise fare. It is generally considered that the NCL is the worst value compared to all the other cruise lines. It is a simple maths problem you have to work out how much you would drink each day.

No you can't take alcohol drinks off of the ship

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

In regards to NCL They charge a 20% gratuity on top of the advertised price, which you pay upfront. No tips required on the ship. Your agent looks like they are saying you are responsible for this tip. This can be quite substantial, so you need to ask them exactly how much this is.

I think NCL drink package is outrageously expensive and I would only get it if it was included in the cruise fare. It is generally considered that the NCL is the worst value compared to all the other cruise lines. It is a simple maths problem you have to work out how much you would drink each day.

No you can't take alcohol drinks off of the ship

Thank you! We've never sailed on NCL but I loved the 9 port itinerary and the sail-away rate was impressive (minus the "free" options). It's great to hear feedback on the drink package in comparison to other cruise lines. Do you have an opinion as to which cruise line offers the best package? 

One thing you have to look out for is what you get with the drinks package.

do you get fancy coffees, do you want fancy coffees, how about fruit juice or bottled water?

Is it an unlimited amount of drink during the day or a set number of drinks?

What drinks do you like. If you just like beer/wine, there are some cruise lines who offer this type of package.

Are you getting off at each port? If you are than you are not drinking on board.

Also you might not need a drink package at all. You do get tea / coffee free (filtered). There is water. Water out of the tap in the state rooms is drinkable. There is also flavour water (lemonade and some other fruity flavours). Juice from concentrate in the mornings. You find these drinks up on deck in the buffet and are available all day.

There are many cruisers who never pay for any additional drinks. Or who only pay very little. My sister once got of a cruise and she had spent $63 only. I have been on cruises myself and only spent $160.

Another thing to remember that everyone in the cabin has to buy the drinks package, even the kids. You can't share.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, kerryincork said:

One thing you have to look out for is what you get with the drinks package.

do you get fancy coffees, do you want fancy coffees, how about fruit juice or bottled water?

Is it an unlimited amount of drink during the day or a set number of drinks?

What drinks do you like. If you just like beer/wine, there are some cruise lines who offer this type of package.

Are you getting off at each port? If you are than you are not drinking on board.

Also you might not need a drink package at all. You do get tea / coffee free (filtered). There is water. Water out of the tap in the state rooms is drinkable. There is also flavour water (lemonade and some other fruity flavours). Juice from concentrate in the mornings. You find these drinks up on deck in the buffet and are available all day.

There are many cruisers who never pay for any additional drinks. Or who only pay very little. My sister once got of a cruise and she had spent $63 only. I have been on cruises myself and only spent $160.

Another thing to remember that everyone in the cabin has to buy the drinks package, even the kids. You can't share.

I got off a 10 day cruise two weeks ago.  I spent zero dollars.  I don't drink alcohol and DIY excursions. All I had on the bill was service charges. 

I'm trying to decide if I want the non-alcoholic package on MSC it's $30/day.  That sounds reasonable, until you figure its a 20 day cruise.  There's also a lot of confusion about what is and isn't included. 

Edited by SeaTheW0rld

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting ready to go on our first cruise and are doing an Alaskan 11 day land/sea cruise.  We are not big drinkers of alcohol or coffee but still need our caffeine.  We are cruising on HAL and are trying to decide whether to get the soda package or the drink card or just bring our own on board.  Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

On all cruise lines, Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade (or some sort of fruity drink), milk and juice at breakfast is included in the fare.  If you can make do with those beverages, there's no need to spend extra on packages.  If you happen to want a soda now and again, or an alcoholic beverage, you can certainly buy it....much cheaper to do that, unless you do plan on drinking lots and lots of the "for fee" options.

Also, many lines will allow you to buy the package DURING the cruise, for the remaining days....usually 4 days must remain, and the price is pro-rated.  So, if you find you are drinking more than you thought you would, you can buy a package once you're on the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, stellababy said:

I have a few questions regarding the Norwegian Drink Package on the 11-day Southern Caribbean Epic Cruise with 9 (nine!) ports. We like to drink on vacation and have never purchased the drink package. When I compare pricing for an inside cabin or balcony with the "free" drink package selected to the Sailaway rate (comparable cabin), it seems that the drink package is costing roughly $1000 for two people (drink gratuity of $435 included). None of the free offers are available when the Sailaway rate is selected. I was informed all top shelf alcohol is included on this sailing which is a nice perk. My questions are mainly directed to those who are frugal but really enjoy drinking on vacation 🙂

+ If you've taken this cruise (or one with minimal sea days), what are your thoughts about the drink package? Would you choose this option again? Considering we'll likely drink on the islands during the day, I'm wondering if others found the package a good value. We've always brought our own alcohol on the ship but the restrictions seem tighter now. Any helpful feedback appreciated!

Thank you!! 

minimal sea days-you are only going to be off the ship for about 5 hours, you still have the entire evening to drink and in the am if you want a bloody mary or my favorite for breakfast, a sangria. Hey, it has fruit in it...

quotes-$500 for an 11 day cruise is a great deal.

taking drinks off the ship-no you cant unless you put it in a drink cooler.

Are one of the stops their private island? If so they are covered in the package.

You figure that each drink will be 10-12 dollars. Multiple that by how many you think you will drink a day and you will see it adds up. I used to hate thinking about my final statement before the star of drink packages.

Now if you are a beer drinker only it might not be worth it. I love beer any other time but on a cruise I now get to enjoy the fruity cocktails because I always get the drink package now.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't view this as a math problem as a question of will this enhance my vacation or not.  

If I buy the drink package, by my nature I am going to be determined to get "my money's worth"  even if that results me spending the entire trip with a massive hangover.  

OTOH, if I don't each time I buy a drink I will feel a pinch of guilt for spending so much for something so overpriced and while I will buy some drinks, the watching prices to a small degree will undercut the vacation experience, whereas if I had the package, I would not have to think about the price of each drink. 

So there is no perfect answer. Each one has its downside.  However for me and my level of alcohol tolerance and my determined desire to make sure I not only beat the house on any drink package but beat it by a wide margin.  I have concluded that no drink package is the better of the two options.     

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes.  We just returned from a Carnival cruise where 7 of us each brought a 12-pack of canned soft drinks, and the ones who drove to the port took home the remaining cans.  If I decide not to buy the drinks package, even the soft drink package, on Holland-America -- the cruise from Boston to Quebec City -- can I bring on a 12-pack of my preferred soft drink?  Unfortunately the FAQs don't address this.

Thanks for the help.