Passport in maiden name

kruzinkel

14 minutes ago, shippmates said:

She can use her passport if the travel was booked in her maiden name.  If in her married name she will need to use her drivers license, original birth certificate, and her marriage license to show the change in names.

If the passport is unexpired, then all she needs in addition to the passport is the marriage license to show the name change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If the passport is unexpired, then all she needs in addition to the passport is the marriage license to show the name change.

Clarea that is correct as long as she does not need to fly.  According to the passport site the tickets must match the name on the passport.

TSA’s Secure Flight Program requires the name on your ticket match the name in your passport. So, you might have a problem if you plan to travel by air. Contact the airline for their recommendation.

1 minute ago, shippmates said:

Clarea that is correct as long as she does not need to fly.  According to the passport site the tickets must match the name on the passport.

TSA’s Secure Flight Program requires the name on your ticket match the name in your passport. So, you might have a problem if you plan to travel by air. Contact the airline for their recommendation.

She probably has a driver's license for the air travel.

35 minutes ago, kruzinkel said:

Travelling with a friend later this month.  She just realized here passport is in her maiden name (she has been married for about 4 years).  If she has her marriage license with her, she shouldn't have any trouble, right?

Easiest way is to simply book the cruise with the name on the passport. If already booked, it can be changed with a phone call

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

She probably has a driver's license for the air travel.

This and this.

21 hours ago, shippmates said:

She can use her passport if the travel was booked in her maiden name.  If in her married name she will need to use her drivers license, original birth certificate, and her marriage license to show the change in names.

Why would she have to use BC over passport?  Both are documents in her maiden name.  So marriage certificate is needed to bridge the name change.

21 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Easiest way is to simply book the cruise with the name on the passport. If already booked, it can be changed with a phone call

Agree.  Name changes can be done up until 24 hours in advance of the cruise.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

36 minutes ago, SRF said:

Why would she have to use BC over passport?  Both are documents in her maiden name.  So marriage certificate is needed to bridge the name change.

She would need her marriage license because her trip is booked in her married name and passport is in her maiden name.  If she is flying and the tickets are in her married name she would need her BC & license to board the plane.  It is getting to the point where everyone should have a passport.  Another option would be for her drivers license be the new real ID one.

20 minutes ago, shippmates said:

She would need her marriage license because her trip is booked in her married name and passport is in her maiden name.  If she is flying and the tickets are in her married name she would need her BC & license to board the plane.  It is getting to the point where everyone should have a passport.  Another option would be for her drivers license be the new real ID one.

Wrong on two counts.

You can't cruise with only a real ID. You need an enhanced drivers license to do that.

As of now, a normal drivers license is all you need to fly

If plane tickets were in maiden name, the old passport would get her on no matter what name is on license

Cruiseinfantic  when I mentioned the real ID as it is called in PA is the enhanced drivers license.  That is correct her old passport would get her on the plane.  I may have misread her post and I assumed her travel plans were booked in her married name.  I remember years ago we traveled to Jamaica before passports going through customs, I had my drivers license, birth certificate and the custom agent wanted my marriage license.  In booking travel it is just so easy to book your segments in your married name and not even give the passport name a thought.  Enjoy your day.

35 minutes ago, gerif said:

DD in law used her passport with her maiden name and marriage certificate for several cruises until the passport expired and she got a new one. Never had a problem.  

You can get an amendment added to your unexpired passport.  That should do the trick until your passport expires.

50 minutes ago, shippmates said:

Cruiseinfantic  when I mentioned the real ID as it is called in PA is the enhanced drivers license.  That is correct her old passport would get her on the plane.  I may have misread her post and I assumed her travel plans were booked in her married name.  I remember years ago we traveled to Jamaica before passports going through customs, I had my drivers license, birth certificate and the custom agent wanted my marriage license.  In booking travel it is just so easy to book your segments in your married name and not even give the passport name a thought.  Enjoy your day.

Not if your passport name is wrong

23 hours ago, shippmates said:

If she is flying and the tickets are in her married name she would need her BC & license to board the plane. 

You don't need to show a BC to board a plane.  If you're flying domestically, you just need a government issued photo ID.  If flying internationally, you need a passport.  The DL + BC combo is an alternative to a passport for US-based closed loop cruises

22 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

As of now, a normal drivers license is all you need to fly

That's true, if it's a domestic flight.  If the gal in question is flying internationally, she needs a passport, and the airline usually requires that the airline ticket be booked in the exact name that appears on the ID being presented, in which case she'd need to update her passport to her married name, or change her airline ticket to her maiden name.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:48 AM, Wine-O said:

You can get an amendment added to your unexpired passport.  That should do the trick until your passport expires.

Except most TSA agents and check-in agents don't always like looking for it or believing it - though it does look official I always got some questioning glances and delayed things.  I was so happy when all my documents matched my used name 🙂

I will say too though, especially if she's been married for 4 years, she likely doesn't want her cruise record in her maiden name or to hear a name she doesn't use anymore, I wouldn't have and it can be a pain later to ensure all your cruises are on your record.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:16 AM, shippmates said:

Why would she need her BC to board a plane??????

Assuming her driver's license has been changed to her married name.  

Reservations and ID have to match names.  If not, you need the document to bridge the change. 

It is not rocket science.