Ship Within A Ship

babs135

The extra accommodations and perks you refer to are - in the cases you identify - associated with suite guests.  Most cruise lines offer separate lounge, dining, and other private areas and services associated with their higher end suite guests.   These would include butler service, all included drink packages, select restaurants only for suite guests and other specialty restaurants included, etc.  But to be clear, you are paying for all of this in the suite pricing. 

RCI and Celebrity both offer this as well, although RCI does not have an isolated named area per se on all ships for this yet, but Celebrity is adding specific areas that will accommodate their Retreat with their ship refurbishments and new launches.

Again, these are all just named programs for different cruise line's higher end suite programs.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

28 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

One of the really nice things about Oceania is that, while "suite" guests' higher fares earn them a butler, concierge lounge and several "complimentary" service perks (e.g., laundry), ALL passengers enjoy the same stellar restaurants, lounges and public areas. 

Not to compare opinions of cruise line quality but to clarify, with these other cruise lines it is typically one restaurant dedicated to suite guest along with a Concierge lounge and reserved seating in certain entertainment venues.  All other lounges, public areas, and restaurants are open to all as well, but the fees associated with the specialty restaurants may be included as part of the Suite package.

6 hours ago, babs135 said:

I know NCL has The Haven, MSC has The Yacht Club and Cunard has The Grills, but are there more ships with this extra accommodation, perks etc?

Cunard has less separation than many other lines - the Grills folks have their own Restaurant, one lounge & a small deck area. The rest of the ship is open to all.

On our last crossing, we had a couple who were upgraded to Queens Grill join us in Britannia every night for dinner.  They preferred the Britannia 'grand dining room' to the rather pedestrian Queens Grill. [Our muster station 'K' was in Queens Grill - so we saw that architecturally it was not a 'wow' space]

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not to compare opinions of cruise line quality but to clarify, with these other cruise lines it is typically one restaurant dedicated to suite guest along with a Concierge lounge and reserved seating in certain entertainment venues.  All other lounges, public areas, and restaurants are open to all as well, but the fees associated with the specialty restaurants may be included as part of the Suite package.

I can't speak to Haven or Grilles, but this is not a very good characterization of Yacht Club.  It is literally a ship within a ship.  

22 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I can't speak to Haven or Grilles, but this is not a very good characterization of Yacht Club.  It is literally a ship within a ship.  

In other words, a specific location that only YC (suite) guests can access with all of their restricted amenities - restaurant, pool, lounge, etc - in one place? 

Please elaborate, because although with some of the other cruise lines, some these things may not only be in one restricted location, access to them - wherever they are located -  is only for suite guests.  Location aside not sure I see much of a difference. 

I would think that even YC guests venture out occasionally to enjoy other venues (such as entertainment) and other parts of the ship - they wouldn't spend 24/7 only in YC?

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

What you are describing is clearly a "cast system" though it could be said that "you get what you pay for" (as long as you remain behind closed doors).

Nonetheless, IMO, the better option for a "better" experience is the premium/luxury cruise industry segments, where everyone enjoys "better."

53 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What you are describing is clearly a "cast system" though it could be said that "you get what you pay for" (as long as you remain behind closed doors).

Nonetheless, IMO, the better option for a "better" experience is the premium/luxury cruise industry segments, where everyone enjoys "better."

No, I was not describing anything.  I was only clarifying that all restaurants and lounges - with the exception of the one dedicated solely to suite guests - on the other cruise lines are available as well to all passengers, as with the ones on Oceana.  So other than with one's perception of quality, they are the same in format.  Oceana apparently also has the same cast system as described by you in that they too have a dedicated concierge lounge only available to suite guests.  But yes, you do get what you pay for.

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

No, I was not describing anything.  I was only clarifying that all restaurants and lounges - with the exception of the one dedicated solely to suite guests - on the other cruise lines are available as well to all passengers, as with the ones on Oceana.  So other than with one's perception of quality, they are the same in format.  Oceana apparently also has the same cast system as described by you in that they too have a dedicated concierge lounge only available to suite guests.  But yes, you do get what you pay for.

just to clarify

OCEANA  is  a P & O ship

OCEANIA  is a cruise line  with 6 ships

15 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

A small concierge "lounge" is a vastly different amenity than a private restaurant. 

We cruised Norwegian several years ago before there was an official "Haven," but we cruised in the suite class and had the private restaurant as well as the concierge service and a butler.  It was a phenomenal experience!  We felt so pampered, and the food in the private restaurant was always amazing, whereas it was just so so in the main restaurant, which we tried a couple times.  

As a comparison, we cruised on the very high end Silver Seas Cruise line in a medium level room (a suite, but not even close to the most expensive).  It was an all inclusive cruise with high end liquor, amazing excursions, and many fine restaurants, though there were STILL ones you had to pay for.  And with a butler who waited on us hand and foot as well as every little thing being taken care of on the ship.  It was easily 6x the price of the average balcony room on Norwegian and more than double the Owners Suite we have booked this fall on Norwegian (with the Haven experience), and I would still say our Norwegian private dining room etc was as good if not better than Silver Seas. 

I whole-heartedly endorse the "ship within a ship" idea.  It's a way to get all the fun elements of a big cruise ship while still having better dining and service than the average person on a big cruise gets.  But don't waste your money on the really high end cruise lines.  The ship within a ship such as Haven is all you need to do. At least once in your life, splurge and do it!

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

In other words, a specific location that only YC (suite) guests can access with all of their restricted amenities - restaurant, pool, lounge, etc - in one place? 

Please elaborate, because although with some of the other cruise lines, some these things may not only be in one restricted location, access to them - wherever they are located -  is only for suite guests.  Location aside not sure I see much of a difference. 

I would think that even YC guests venture out occasionally to enjoy other venues (such as entertainment) and other parts of the ship - they wouldn't spend 24/7 only in YC?

On the never MSC ships the YC-suites, restaurant, pool and lounge are in one place. There is also entertainment, music, in the lounge every evening so it's defenitely possible to spend the whole cruise within the YC.

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

On the never MSC ships the YC-suites, restaurant, pool and lounge are in one place. There is also entertainment, music, in the lounge every evening so it's defenitely possible to spend the whole cruise within the YC.

Entertainment in the lounge is not the same as production shows, comedians, or headliner entertainers. Not to mention just to enjoy being in other venues, activities, and locations around the ship.  So while one could live isolated in the YC on board for the entire cruise it would be quite limiting in the scope of the cruise experience, and at least for me, something I would not enjoy - nor pay a premium for.

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

A small concierge "lounge" is a vastly different amenity than a private restaurant. 

So to support your cast system position, one restaurant is the sole distinction necessary? Wouldn't a premium / luxury cruise line with it's primary focus to appeal to a rather select clientele be promoting that in of itself?

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Wouldn't a premium / luxury cruise line with it's primary focus to appeal to a rather select clientele be promoting that in of itself?

I am curious  what  you  mean by a  select clientele  on the upscale cruises  compared to people that want the  segregated  Ship within a ship experience

I am sure that concept also appeals to  a select clientele ??

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

So to support your cast system position, one restaurant is the sole distinction necessary? Wouldn't a premium / luxury cruise line with it's primary focus to appeal to a rather select clientele be promoting that in of itself?

Not really. It is a common misconception that those who choose premium lines (e.g., Oceania or Azamara) have tons of money. 

The reality is that those lines are populated by folks who have done the "bottom line" math on all of the expenses associated with a cruise vacation and realize that they can have a first class experience - even on a budget. 

BTW, reread the posts in this thread. With "ship within a ship," it's not just the exclusive restaurant(s). It's also the segregated pools, locked doors, etc.

And the really irony is that, for the cost of the "ship within a ship," they could've had the real thing.

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am curious  what  you  mean by a  select clientele  on the upscale cruises  compared to people that want the  segregated  Ship within a ship experience

I am sure that concept also appeals to  a select clientele ??

I agree.  My response was in reference to the cast system comments made by another poster and my point was that if the ship in a ship concept represents a cast system then would that also not be the same with the luxury / premium lines?  Wouldn't both concepts appeal to the same clientele?  And don't they both separate themselves from others?

Nothing here is meant as a challenge nor a position statement - just a discussion prompted by other's comments.

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not a fan of the 'ship within a ship' concept. I hope not all lines will follow this trend.

I'm not either.   And Celebrity is about to start carving up its beautiful S-class ships (my favorites) to restrict some of what are now public spaces to suite guests (including forward-facing open deck space).  

22 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

BTW, reread the posts in this thread. With "ship within a ship," it's not just the exclusive restaurant(s). It's also the segregated pools, locked doors, etc.

I get that, and I referenced the distinction between YC and other cruise lines regarding suite guests in my initial response.  While YC does locate everything centrally in one area, other cruise lines have many of the same offerings just located in different areas around the ship.  But in either case they are part of the suite program.  And more lines are now following the YC / Haven concept with this.

I'm also not defending any one line over the other.  I will have to price out some Oceania itineraries to see how they compare to our usual budget choices and net cost of cruising.  Maybe it won't be as much of a disparity as I have thought it would be.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Entertainment in the lounge is not the same as production shows, comedians, or headliner entertainers. Not to mention just to enjoy being in other venues, activities, and locations around the ship.  So while one could live isolated in the YC on board for the entire cruise it would be quite limiting in the scope of the cruise experience, and at least for me, something I would not enjoy - nor pay a premium for.

I agree with you that entertainment in the lounge is not the same as production show but how many of the small luxury line cruise ships has production  shows?