Pre-cruise hotel: FLL

CruiseRQA

Looking for some advice from the HAL crowd.  Will be sailing on the Oosterdam in a month and haven't yet made a pre - cruise hotel reservation.  What spots do you guys like?   We are coming in two days ahead.   Don't necessarily need to be on the beach.   Have been at the Bali Mahr and downtown Hampton previously.

We have stayed many times pre and post cruise at the Embassy Suites over the years.

They have full breakfast and complimentary cocktails from 5:30 - 7:30 each evening.

They are close to the Harbor shops -- Publix for any last minute items you need to buy, restaurants and Total Wines if you like to take a couple of bottles onto the ship.

Also it is a quick ride to the ships.

• Like 1

We have stayed (or are staying soon) at Hilton GalleryOne right at the water taxi stop; Hilton Beach resort (beautiful across from beach); Riverside, on Los Olas and close to water taxi; BW Plus Oceanside close to beach.  All are great locations.  We have been trying different hotels when we go there to see what/where we like and have not been disappointed yet.

We have used the Ramada on Marina Mile Blvd (Hwy 84) a few times. It is a reasonable price but pretty basic. Breakfast is included and it is okay. They have free shuttles to Port Everglades. I was not too pleased with our last stay though - could not get the room temperature regulated well and there were crying children next door that went fairly late into the night. 

We are trying the Rodeway Inn, which is pretty much across the highway, at the end of March. Even lower cost but still have free Port shuttles. Others have posted that this is an okay pre-cruise spot. 

We have used Hyatt Place 17th Street twice now and will stay again this year. Close to shops and to the port. Airport shuttle and a paid shuttle to port. Medium price.

Enjoy your cruise.

My FLL hotel of choice is the Hilton Marina which is a five-minute shuttle ($6 and runs every 15 minutes) ride to the port entrance.  The food choice is excellent and there is a CVS pharmacy, ten-minute walk away, for last-minute items (sodas, water, toiletries that you don't need to bring with you to FLL). 

• Like 5

We’ve stayed a couple of times at the Fort Lauderdale Hilton Garden Inn which I liked because it has a real restaurant for dinner and breakfast without having to leave and drive elsewhere. They have a cruise shuttle (stops at other hotels, too), and also offer a park & cruise package for people who drive to the port. Service has been good. 

My only complaint has been that there was a major construction project behind the hotel last year. Lots of noise, and our car was covered with dirt when we returned from the cruise and picked it up to drive home.

We have stayed at a variety of hotels in FLL.  I think it really depends upon, do you want a view?  Do you want to be near the port?  Do you want to be near restaurants?  

But this is another vote for the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort.  It is right across the street from the beach, there are plenty of great restaurants around and the views are amazing.  The taxi/Uber ride is not expensive to/from port or airport.  

Plus, you are within walking distance of the Bonnet House. (If you like history, architecture and art, this is an interesting place to visit.)

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

My FLL hotel of choice is the Hilton Marina which is a five-minute shuttle ($6 and runs every 15 minutes) ride to the port entrance.  The food choice is excellent and there is a CVS pharmacy, ten-minute walk away, for last-minute items (sodas, water, toiletries that you don't need to bring with you to FLL). 

And worth the higher cost to book higher Tower Port view room. The views of the ships arriving and leaving plus the 17th street bridge opening are fabulous. Water taxi leaves from property and long term parking is $10 a night. 

• Like 3

During several visits to Fort lauderdale some time ago, I stayed at the Pier 66 when it was a Hyatt hotel.  My last visit when it was still under the Hyatt flag was disappointing for what I was paying.  Now that it is not a Hyatt (or any other brand), I don't consider it at all.

My current favorite is the Marriott North on Andrews Avenue, particularly if you are driving to the port.  It is a nice property with a pool deck on the 4th floor that is large with both seating around the pool and under an adjacent covered area.  The staff are friendly and helpful and the parking garage opens directly in the Lobby, so getting to/from one's car is simple.  It's price is much less than other full service Marriotts closer to the port and was even a bit less than a Courtyard somewhat further West on Cypress Creek Drive.  No car?  Taxi price to the port was $26 with about a 25-30 minute ride.

My most recent stay was at the Marriott Harbor Beach which is a great resort with friendly, helpful staff,  but, with Winter resort prices.

We stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach prior to our just-finished Panama Sunfarer cruise on Zuiderdam.  The hotel was appealing--clean, brightly-lit, and comfortable.  There were three restaurant options, plus a Starbucks and a "fresh market" type cafe attached.  Our room had a balcony and overlooked both the pool and the beach.  It was nice to take a beach walk prior to the cruise.

• Like 2

We stayed at Embassy Suites a few years ago.  The rooms were well past their sell by dAte in terms of decor then.  And the elevators were very slow.   We would not pay full pop this property unless we knew that the rooms had been updated.  The afternoon drink and the breakfast do not, in our opinion, make up for the very dated and very dark rooms.

• Like 1

Totally agree with you iancal re the ES.  There was a 15 minute wait for elevators on embarkation day when we were there last year and the rooms are clean but very dated in our opinion.  We did book a room at Hyatt Place this year and will be there in March. We just hope it's as nice as some of the other Hyatt Places we stayed at.  Sorry to hear 'Wishing on a Star' say it was musty smelling when they stayed there. 

• Like 1

We just booked the Hilton Garden Inn Dania Beach Cruise port .We book using hilton honor points .Here you must be at least golf level with hilton to get your breakfast included  & we are gold level . There is a pay shuttle to the port $8 each or we uber over to the port   .Do not know any more  ;as this will be our first stay 

We have stayed at the Embassy suites in the past  ;but ,because of the above comments we no longer stay there  .It is a Hilton Property & you might think that Hilton would require them to update .

• Like 1

After staying a number of places, we now prefer the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort.

Not cheep, but...

We do the HAL transfers from Airport to Hotel to Ship. No stress, done deal.

The hotel has a wonderful open air Breakfast Restaurant.

High end evening seafood Restaurant, and a really nice outdoor Pool, with a bar / nice restaurant there too.

And, walk out of the Hotel, and you're on the beach.

There is a Hertz in the lobby, and 40 bucks gets a car for the day to explore, or get to Total Wine.

Taxi's would cost you more...

Gary

3 hours ago, Paulinda said:

Totally agree with you iancal re the ES.  There was a 15 minute wait for elevators on embarkation day when we were there last year and the rooms are clean but very dated in our opinion.  We did book a room at Hyatt Place this year and will be there in March. We just hope it's as nice as some of the other Hyatt Places we stayed at.  Sorry to hear 'Wishing on a Star' say it was musty smelling when they stayed there. 

Just stayed at Hyatt Place for a Christmas cruise.  We had used this hotel before in 2011.  The rooms had NOT been updated since our initial visit.  We were disappointed. FYI.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

5 hours ago, iancal said:

We stayed at Embassy Suites a few years ago.  The rooms were well past their sell by dAte in terms of decor then.  And the elevators were very slow.   We would not pay full pop this property unless we knew that the rooms had been updated.  The afternoon drink and the breakfast do not, in our opinion, make up for the very dated and very dark rooms.

4 hours ago, Paulinda said:

Couldn't agree more.  ES is overrated and over priced.  When we stayed, the fixtures were literally falling off the bathroom wall, there were tiny bugs covering the drapes, and the highly acclaimed breakfast had stale pastries.  I wouldn't stay there again at half the price they want. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, Crew News said:

On 2/6/2019 at 4:18 PM, teltrainer said:

And worth the higher cost to book higher Tower Port view room. The views of the ships arriving and leaving plus the 17th street bridge opening are fabulous. Water taxi leaves from property and long term parking is $10 a night. 

👍👍👍  Agree & agree - location, price & service make the Hilton Marina our hotel of choice (for short-term stays) in Ft Lauderdale.  We've also stayed at Embassy Suites (3 or so times) and Harbor Beach Marriott Resort (a couple of times) but feel that Hilton Marina is a much better value.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, Crew News said:

Actually, it's a Walgreens.   :classic_cool: 

• Like 1