How much do you tip excursion guides?

Upinthehills

We're sailing on Fascination in three weeks.  In each of the five ports we have an excursion planned, none are through Carnival.  Do you tip 15-20% of the excursion cost?  A flat dollar amount per person?  Does it depend on how much the guide did or how good the tour was?  Just curious how you all figure out how much to tip the excursion folks.

7 minutes ago, Upinthehills said:

We're sailing on Fascination in three weeks.  In each of the five ports we have an excursion planned, none are through Carnival.  Do you tip 15-20% of the excursion cost?  A flat dollar amount per person?  Does it depend on how much the guide did or how good the tour was?  Just curious how you all figure out how much to tip the excursion folks.

We just give a flat amount, $5 or $10 depending how they did.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, schazzy said:

We just give a flat amount, $5 or $10 depending how they did.  

23 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Normally, same here total for the both of us.  

That's usually what we've done too.  I'm asking because one of our excursions is a sailboat trip for four.  In the confirmation email it said that tips are not included in the price and it's customary to tip 18-20%.  For this sail, 20% would be $35 each or $140 total.  It made me wonder if I've been under tipping all these years.

3 minutes ago, Upinthehills said:

That's usually what we've done too.  I'm asking because one of our excursions is a sailboat trip for four.  In the confirmation email it said that tips are not included in the price and it's customary to tip 18-20%.  For this sail, 20% would be $35 each or $140 total.  It made me wonder if I've been under tipping all these years.

That's a lot to tip, heck, that's more than I'd pay for an excursion itself!

• Like 2

I have always done the large group tours or just taxied on our own at the islands.  

This trip we are doing a private driver for the day in one stop.  Its $40 for the day and an entry fees to the places we visit.  Not sure how much to tip.  

And at another stop we are doing a private fishing and snorkeling tour.  Its just our family of four.  We will fish snorkel have lunch, etc.  $350.   Not sure what to tip at the end of the day for this either.  

45 minutes ago, Upinthehills said:

No, you haven’t been under tipping.  I think this sailboat excursion provider is trying to guilt you into tipping an extravagant amount since they know Americans are used to tipping 15-20% on meals.  If it were me, I’d tip $5 - $10 per person depending on how good the excursion was. (I have tipped nothing on excursions where the guide made little-to-no effort in ensuring we had a good time.  It happens.)

• Like 2

We tip depending on what was done by the operator.  For the two of us, usually $10.  If they went above and beyond, were funny and made the excursion more than expected, then it will be $20.  

The one thing that bugged me on one of the islands that I can't recall which was in a store.  They had a tip jar by the cash register.  Really?  No way am I going to tip somebody for just taking my money.

• Like 2

$5, $10, or $20 depending on the excursion.  On a couple of long sailing excursions we've been on where the crew is very good about serving the drinks, food, etc. we'll tip the crew $20 each (max of 3) for a great trip.  On a normal or lesser priced excursion we'll tip the guide and driver $5 or $10 each depending on cost of the tour and how well they did.  That amount is total for two of us.

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

The one thing that bugged me on one of the islands that I can't recall which

was in a store.  They had a tip jar by the cash register. 

Really?  No way am I going to tip somebody for just taking my money.

A lot of the time that "tip jar" is there

for folks to dispose of their unwanted 'foreign coins'.

My wife is of precisely the same opinion as you! lol

She is not tipping someone for taking our cash

but we'll sometimes throw in the spare change

especially if that jar is for a charity..

- and we live here!

Don't take it too seriously - it's life in the islands.

• Like 1

I usually tip $5 to the guide and also $5 to the driver on a half day, and$10 to each for an all-day tour. 
Occasionally a guide is truly exceptional and I may bump it up to $20.

Once, the guide was just so-so, but the driver was exceptionally helpful and the roads he took us over were very steep and winding, so he got the $20 and the guide got the $10!!

5 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

We tip depending on what was done by the operator.  For the two of us, usually $10.  If they went above and beyond, were funny and made the excursion more than expected, then it will be $20.  

The one thing that bugged me on one of the islands that I can't recall which was in a store.  They had a tip jar by the cash register.  Really?  No way am I going to tip somebody for just taking my money.

There are tip jars by the cash registers in the States as well.  Been to Starbucks, DD or similar lately?  Not a reason to get bugged, ignore it or contribute, depending on what your transaction was......some cruisers use will not tip just because there was a sign or reminder about tipping posted somewhere.

But as to the OP's question, the length of the excursion, how well the guide managed the tour and answered questions, assisted during the activity, private or public tour, etc. all factor into how much to tip. Generally $10 pp for a full 6 hr tour, less for shorter.  A few bucks to the driver if different from the guide.

We are former New Yorkers (Noo Yawkers) so tipping was a commonplace and normal part of most service interactions.

Edited by evandbob

16 hours ago, Upinthehills said:

Somewhere between nothing and a couple of dollars. These people are not in the US and are paid a salary that allows them to live without your tips.

Agreed...you do NOT tip a percentage....tip what you feel it's worth, keeping in mind what you've paid for the experience!  We've had "tours" that were little more than transportation...no tip for that.  We've had tours where the guide was fun and personable, and really added to the fun!  They get a decent tip!  It's really up to you.  And especially when it's a "ship's excursion", you are already paying a premium for that....just keep that in mind!

You do not have to tip every person you come into contact with!