Gift bag for stateroom attendant?

Newbie2006

18 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Cash.  Cold hard wonderful cash. 

Seriously - these hardworking folks get virtually all the food they want including sweets.  Be respectful and give them cash so they can buy what they want - or more likely, buy what they or their families NEED. 

Yes they have lots of food but as our guy said . " I am tired of 'mess food'  I love to eat out in port.  It is a rotating menu and would get sick of it too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Yes they have lots of food but as our guy said . " I am tired of 'mess food'  I love to eat out in port.  It is a rotating menu and would get sick of it too.

Absolutely - and I agree.  Which is exactly why I suggested:  "Be respectful and give them cash so they can buy what they want"

My late husband did something years ago when we were on an RCCL cruise. It was just a case of “right place at the right time.” We were in  one of the routinely visited Caribbean islands-St Maartins, I think. We ask our cabin steward if he knew a good place to get great local seafood for lunch. He recommended a restaurant sort of out of the way.  Said that a lot of the crew go there, which meant good and cheap. We go there. Who do we see eating lunch together but our cabin steward and our assistant waiter. DH called the manager over, said I want to pay their check and get them a couple of really good beers. You would have thought  we had given them a million $. We got treated so well for the remainder of the cruise by both. Our cabin was made up every morning before  we returned from breakfast. The service in the MDR could not have been any better. So the idea of giving a crew member cash and say buy yourself a good meal somewhere isn’t  a bad one. They can chose to spend it or not. 

Edited by Straughn
Spelling
  • Like 5

If I wanted to give something in appreciation I don’t think I would get it from  a Dollar Store.  I think I would at least go to Wally Mart.  😱

I am sure that some may be sincere about receiving a non cash gift but in reality do you think that they are going to act any other way?  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

I guess there will be two schools of thought: cash vs kindness.  there is an extensive amount of articles in people management and HR theory which indicates once basic needs are covered money loses some importance as a motivator, and sell esteem takes over.  By treating people as people rather than as "machines" will increase productivity. 

Recent news articles suggest there is a significant mental health issue among cruise ship employees, caused by the stressful work environment.

Actions sometimes speak louder than words.

That's all I am going to say about that. "Forest Gump"

• Like 3

Gift Bag is not a good idea!

On our  ship's tour we saw the modern  crew dining area, indoor and outdoor bar areas .Lots of goodies and snacks.  Most crew space is small so no room for nik naks... 

Cash is best followed by pre paid phone cards...but even that is iffy,  if you give your attendants and waiters good comment cards,  they recieve  free calling time on board! 

Cash, good comments and sincere thanks....all good ideas!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

You make these sound mutually exclusive, as though people giving cash are somehow unkind.  

No they definitely are complimentary, as you move along the needs continuum cash is replaced by other motivating factors.  that is why the comment cards, guest questionnaires,  and client feedback are so important as addition rewards are based on them; for example time off in port to go ashore and escape for a few hours.

It is not an either or situation.  Multiple forms of recognition have a multiplier effect on behaviour.

Never said treats rather than cash...do both. Do something creative...just don't give them meaning less trinkets.

For example we are on a cruise next week and in addition to the prepaid grants, we expect to spend an additional an equivalent amount in supplemental grats.  I also have about $25 in chocolate to be split among 8 to 10 people....small price to pay for making someone's day........

One solution does not work for everyone.

• Like 4

We usually tip our cabin steward and waiter in cash, in addition to the auto tip.

The only gift I can think that might be appreciated is long distance calling cards, so they could phone family members in their country back home. If you were going to give that, I'd give it along with cash. 

37 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

No they definitely are complimentary, as you move along the needs continuum cash is replaced by other motivating factors.  that is why the comment cards, guest questionnaires,  and client feedback are so important as addition rewards are based on them; for example time off in port to go ashore and escape for a few hours.

It is not an either or situation.  Multiple forms of recognition have a multiplier effect on behaviour.

Never said treats rather than cash...do both. Do something creative...just don't give them meaning less trinkets.

For example we are on a cruise next week and in addition to the prepaid grants, we expect to spend an additional an equivalent amount in supplemental grats.  I also have about $25 in chocolate to be split among 8 to 10 people....small price to pay for making someone's day........

One solution does not work for everyone.

Thanks ScubesDad,

When I originally posted this, I wasn't thinking giving a gift instead of additional cash, but in addition to more cash  . . . just something to brighten an employee's day. We all know how hum-drum our work can get and sometimes a little unexpected perk can brighten our mood and help us get through the day with a (genuine) smile on our face.

I saw a professionally done youtube video (think 20/20 caliber) on Celebrity ships talking about how staff aboard one Celebrity ship (as an example of employment on cruise ships in general) were treated . . . they sent a reporter as a cruise guest, and another as an assistant waiter staff member to see what their experiences were like. (I'd post it, but it makes you feel somewhat bad about cruising).

Of course most of the staff come from countries with poorer working conditions, but I still feel for fellow humans when they've had a stressful/long day at work regardless of their background.

Might bring some candies from the Philippines, as I know many crew are from there, and my Filipino friends' eyes light up whenever they see these candies. If our stateroom attendant wants they can have them (and share with their friends). If not, more delicious candy for me on the plane trip home.

I'll be sure to try and write a positive review as well.

• Like 1

With regards to a gift item, I think it only makes sense if you have established a rapport with your attendant and have spoken with them enough to know what are some things that they would like to have, or miss, or wish they had. I remember many, many years ago people here on the board would say they would bright gifts from their home town which quite honestly makes no sense. The idea is to treating them as people which means talking to them, asking about their families and so on. My husband and I regularly do this.

There was this one Captain's Club Host, Raluca, who we met on the Millie and helped us with downlining on a transpacific cruise to China (We wanted to early disembark in Japan). We became quite friendly with her and she helped us out immensely. A couple of years later we saw here again on the Equinox ( I think) and she remembered us by name and it was so nice to have people remember us when they see so many thousands of guests.

I think going to a Dollar Store to buy any kind of gift for your room attendant(before you've embarked on the cruise) is quite demeaning and reminds me of our recent private port tour in Fiji where we went to a dollar store before in the States to buy crayons to give to children when we stopped to see a preschool where the Fijian children played and learned in a tin shack with concrete floors, and no desks. That's who you give gifts to from the dollar store!

IMG_20181022_100025539_HDR.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last March our room steward checked in with us while we were unpacking and noticed we had a bag of mini snickers .. He told us he liked to have a chocolate at the end of the day ... he had a ritual of going to bed, placing a chocolate in his mouth and watching a bit of TV letting the Chocolate melt .. his little bit of heaven after a busy day.  Before he left our cabin, we gave him a baggie full fo snickers and upon leaving our cruise when we thanked him for his excellent service with an extra cash tip we gave him all our remaining chocolates.   He told us several times during our cruise how much he was enjoying the candy.  It's always nice to know a little gesture can bring someone happiness .. it's a win/win.  We always leave extra cash tips, and if we see an opportunity to share, we do so.  

We realize the staff work very hard to provide us with an enjoyable cruise experience .. we make an effort to pick up our cabin before we leave, we always say please and thank you and enjoy conversations with all staff .. they have very interesting stories to share.   We also realize a little extra cash is always appreciated.  

• Like 4

Just now, Peggy Sue said:

Last March our room steward checked in with us while we were unpacking and noticed we had a bag of mini snickers .. He told us he liked to have a chocolate at the end of the day ... he had a ritual of going to bed, placing a chocolate in his mouth and watching a bit of TV letting the Chocolate melt .. his little bit of heaven after a busy day.  Before he left our cabin, we gave him a baggie full fo snickers and upon leaving our cruise when we thanked him for his excellent service with an extra cash tip we gave him all our remaining chocolates.   He told us several times during our cruise how much he was enjoying the candy.  It's always nice to know a little gesture can bring someone happiness .. it's a win/win.  We always leave extra cash tips, and if we see an opportunity to share, we do so.  

We realize the staff work very hard to provide us with an enjoyable cruise experience .. we make an effort to pick up our cabin before we leave, we always say please and thank you and enjoy conversations with all staff .. they have very interesting stories to share.   We also realize a little extra cash is always appreciated.  

I think that's a perfect example of personalizing a gift item and getting something that THEY actually want! It also demonstrates that you're actually listening and paying attention to what they are saying. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Newbie2006 said:

Might bring some candies from the Philippines, as I know many crew are from there, and my Filipino friends' eyes light up whenever they see these candies. If our stateroom attendant wants they can have them (and share with their friends). If not, more delicious candy for me on the plane trip home.

Instead of spending money on something they might not like or can't eat or is allergic to or something they will end up giving away, in conversation with your Cabin Steward ask him/her what snacks they have been craving that they don't get on the ship and when you are in one of the ports pick it up.  I'm sure they appreciate that more than something they don't want or ending up giving it away.  

• Like 2

I guess there will be two schools of thought: cash vs kindness.  there is an extensive amount of articles in people management and HR theory which indicates once basic needs are covered money loses some importance as a motivator, and sell esteem takes over.  By treating people as people rather than as "machines" will increase productivity. 
Recent news articles suggest there is a significant mental health issue among cruise ship employees, caused by the stressful work environment.
Actions sometimes speak louder than words.

That's all I am going to say about that. "Forest Gump"

Appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crew members don't have a lot of space to store trinkets and snacks . We aways

leave auto in place and add cash to an envelope for good service,  Usually like 

to give it to them in hand also with a thank you and a hand shake.

K and J

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I think that's a perfect example of personalizing a gift item and getting something that THEY actually want! It also demonstrates that you're actually listening and paying attention to what they are saying. 

12 hours ago, Peggy Sue said:

Even me, the 'Cash is King' Queen agree that Peggy Sue's Snickers gift was a great, thoughtful gift.  An example of the exception proves the rule.  Bravo!

• Like 1

If everyone gave them a cheap gift they would end up with a lot of cheap junk.  Just think how much more they would have if they had the amount spent instead.

like many of the others I have talked to the employees.  Most like something different and when they can they will get it when in port.   During turnaround day the ship has a shuttle at some ports that take them to a mall where they will buy what they want and need.   I know they do this in Miami and Ft Lauderdale.  

We may think that they want something from their homeland but not always as sometimes they want something different.  In Michigan the Japanese built a Mazda assembly plant and to accommodate them they built a Japanese restuarant that had the servers dressed as Geisha Girls, areas where you had to take off your shoes and sit on the floor, and etc.  not many Japanese went there,  it was mostly the locals.   One time in there  I seen a group of Japanese and I asked the server what beer they were drinking as I wanted to have a popular Japanese beer  and she said they always drink Budweiser because they  get Japanese beer all the time and want something different.   The place closed after a few years as the novelty wore off and the Japanese wanted other things. 

Like other have said if you know what they like they do appreciate it.    On one cruise our cabin attendant mentioned he liked Folgers instant coffee and said when he gets a chance he always buys some but it is hard to find in many ports.     We were laying over in NOLA and stopped in a store and got him some.  Otherwise we wouldn’t give any “gifts”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I leave $2 every day with a note thanking them for something plus a snack size candy bar.  If they don't/can't eat it, I am sure they have a friend that can.  If I am going into port, I ask them if there is something I can pick up for them.   Ironically, they usually thank me for the candy but never mention the extra bucks (lol).  

• Like 1

For some reason this thread really bothers me.  While I find some of the comments very helpful, I am bothered by the overall tone of some of the replies.  Here is my reasoning......

When I first saw this subject I didn't even have time to read the full thread.  Instead I screenshot the subject and even put a reminder in my iPhone to read the topic later.  I thought what a nice gesture and good idea.   The idea of giving your attendant a thoughtful gift in addition to your regular tips seemed like a great idea to me.  I assumed the idea was to give someone a kind and thoughtful gesture that let them know you took the time out of your day to think of them.  A hostess gift so to speak.  Do you know the person?  No, probably not.  Though many of us who are lucky enough to cruise often, see the same crew time and time again.  But you often don't know the host of the party you are attending but you certainly take a gift!

After coming back and reading the thread I was a little surprised by the reactions.  I paraphrase but the majority of the reactions seem to be "cheap, go to Walmart instead" . "They don't have room for anything else" . "Inconsiderate of their needs" etc etc etc. "Give them money and not a gift" .   Honestly, some of the reactions seemed very judgmental and I was disappointed.  We all have the right to our opinions.  Now I have overstated my opinion and even been rude at times on these boards.  I have tried to apologize when it happened.  But we should all take a moment to consider how our comments are taken.  I believe the original poster only had the best intentions as well as the you tube poster.

I agree with most of the comments that money takes precedence over anything else for someone working on a cruise ship.  But I disagree that a small and thoughtful gift wouldn't be appreciated.  Many of you suggested chocolates and phone cards or even something from your part of the country or theirs.  Why not chocolates from your area or even basic toiletries?  As for not going to Dollar Tree?  Well how nice that you can buy all of your gifts at Bloomingdales?   (That is not directed at the poster about Dollar Tree by the way, that is a general comment)   Some Dollar Tree's have great merchandise... 🙂 and sometimes that is all the person can afford.  After all, isn't it the thought that counts?  

So thanks for taking the time to hear and see my opinion and a big thank you to the original poster.   I think I probably will take a small gift bag.  SMALL I said.  🙂 Of course I will tip!  But some chocolates, maybe a phone card, some expensive soap, some basic postcards they can use, or some other creative "hostess gift" that let's them know how much I appreciate what they do for me.   So again, thank you for giving me an idea of how to show another human being that I see them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tucker in Texas said:

I leave $2 every day with a note thanking them for something plus a snack size candy bar.  If they don't/can't eat it, I am sure they have a friend that can.  If I am going into port, I ask them if there is something I can pick up for them.   Ironically, they usually thank me for the candy but never mention the extra bucks (lol).  

Love this response. Sounds like a reasonable way of treating the stateroom attendants as human beings!

"It's the thought that counts" doesn't apply in a business situation unless you actually get to know the person over a period of time.  "Expensive soap" usually smells terrible (not to mention that many people prefer scent-free products), not everyone wants (or can have) a full-size candy bar every day of the week, and phone cards have gone the way of the dodo in most parts of the world with the advent of cheap cell plans.  Trinkets from your hometown will go in the trash unless there is some value to them because of the storage issue. If you were a steward with a dozen rooms to take care of and a good portion of them gave you gewgaws every cruise, would you really consider that something to appreciate versus the money all of that stuff cost?

There are plenty of ways to show kindness to staff without giving them goody bags stuffed with random junk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

"It's the thought that counts" doesn't apply in a business situation unless you actually get to know the person over a period of time.  "Expensive soap" usually smells terrible (not to mention that many people prefer scent-free products), not everyone wants (or can have) a full-size candy bar every day of the week, and phone cards have gone the way of the dodo in most parts of the world with the advent of cheap cell plans.  Trinkets from your hometown will go in the trash unless there is some value to them because of the storage issue. If you were a steward with a dozen rooms to take care of and a good portion of them gave you gewgaws every cruise, would you really consider that something to appreciate versus the money all of that stuff cost?

There are plenty of ways to show kindness to staff without giving them goody bags stuffed with random junk.

Not to mention they have a 7 month contract, a 20 kg luggage allowance, which is likely filled up with their genuine personal possessions. Are they likely to want to pay for excess luggage to transport a pile of random 'cheap' things (e.g. from a "Dollar" store)?

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 9:20 PM, NLH Arizona said:

The only time I would give a gift bag to a Cabin Steward is if I knew what they wanted or needed, otherwise I would risk giving them something they don't want or don't need, plus their cabins are so small, they really don't need more stuff.

Agreed.

The only time we have given something other than cash was to our Blu waiter who had served us for 28 days. We had gotten to know him fairly well and had enjoyed our conversations with him about both of our families. We knew that his daughter, who he would be seeing during a port visit on the following cruise, loved Disney character memorabilia; so when we saw some Disney memorabilia, we purchased a gift for his daughter. He really appreciated the gift.

But we still gave him our regular extra tips - cash is still king.

• Like 3