Gift bag for stateroom attendant?

Newbie2006

This is their job. They are doing it for MONEY. Often times to send home to support their family. They will be very gracious about gifts, but have limited space and prefer you show your appreciation with cash and not trinkets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bgrieve said:

This is their job. They are doing it for MONEY. Often times to send home to support their family. They will be very gracious about gifts, but have limited space and prefer you show your appreciation with cash and not trinkets.

I think that's what people should remember. IT'S NOT LIKE going to someone's house for a dinner party and bringing a host/hostess gift. To equate that scenario with giving a gift to a stateroom attendant is preposterous. If you think about a land-based vacation, would you bring gifts to the hotel maids? I'm curious how many people actually TIP on a daily basis a hotel maid? 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So selfish question - for those of you that do tip/gift, do you feel that you receive a higher level of service when you do so? Perhaps more so when you tip at beginning of cruise and/or throughout your vacation? I have always prepaid and left something at the end of the trip - I guess it never occurred to me to do it at the beginning.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, lilghallinsf said:

For some reason this thread really bothers me.  While I find some of the comments very helpful, I am bothered by the overall tone of some of the replies.  Here is my reasoning......

When I first saw this subject I didn't even have time to read the full thread.  Instead I screenshot the subject and even put a reminder in my iPhone to read the topic later.  I thought what a nice gesture and good idea.   The idea of giving your attendant a thoughtful gift in addition to your regular tips seemed like a great idea to me.  I assumed the idea was to give someone a kind and thoughtful gesture that let them know you took the time out of your day to think of them.  A hostess gift so to speak.  Do you know the person?  No, probably not.  Though many of us who are lucky enough to cruise often, see the same crew time and time again.  But you often don't know the host of the party you are attending but you certainly take a gift!

After coming back and reading the thread I was a little surprised by the reactions.  I paraphrase but the majority of the reactions seem to be "cheap, go to Walmart instead" . "They don't have room for anything else" . "Inconsiderate of their needs" etc etc etc. "Give them money and not a gift" .   Honestly, some of the reactions seemed very judgmental and I was disappointed.  We all have the right to our opinions.  Now I have overstated my opinion and even been rude at times on these boards.  I have tried to apologize when it happened.  But we should all take a moment to consider how our comments are taken.  I believe the original poster only had the best intentions as well as the you tube poster.

I agree with most of the comments that money takes precedence over anything else for someone working on a cruise ship.  But I disagree that a small and thoughtful gift wouldn't be appreciated.  Many of you suggested chocolates and phone cards or even something from your part of the country or theirs.  Why not chocolates from your area or even basic toiletries?  As for not going to Dollar Tree?  Well how nice that you can buy all of your gifts at Bloomingdales?   (That is not directed at the poster about Dollar Tree by the way, that is a general comment)   Some Dollar Tree's have great merchandise... 🙂 and sometimes that is all the person can afford.  After all, isn't it the thought that counts?  

So thanks for taking the time to hear and see my opinion and a big thank you to the original poster.   I think I probably will take a small gift bag.  SMALL I said.  🙂 Of course I will tip!  But some chocolates, maybe a phone card, some expensive soap, some basic postcards they can use, or some other creative "hostess gift" that let's them know how much I appreciate what they do for me.   So again, thank you for giving me an idea of how to show another human being that I see them.

I agree! The OP even has newbie in their name and people jumped out saying this and that.  I say give whatever your heart tells you to give.  Everyone is different with different financial means.   Don't listen to it.

5 hours ago, bradenj21 said:

So selfish question - for those of you that do tip/gift, do you feel that you receive a higher level of service when you do so? Perhaps more so when you tip at beginning of cruise and/or throughout your vacation? I have always prepaid and left something at the end of the trip - I guess it never occurred to me to do it at the beginning.

I can tell you from reading TONS of posts about tipping bartenders, people feel adamant that a big tip in the beginning gets them great service, as do those who tip at the end, as do those who tip the standard 18%. They all three are convinced.

So, to me, the lesson is that you get good service, PERIOD.

My philosophy is, standard tip covers the standard service. Ask for, or get something above and beyond, tip accordingly. I try to do it at the time the service is rendered.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, orchestrapal said:

We were told by a housekeeper on one of the lines that they MUST throw out anything

they are given from the outside. No food on that line can be kept. They can however take your

real $$$$ tips.

Sounds like a 'story' to get cash. Don't believe everything you are told

Posts on a crew forum discuss getting reprimanded for sneaking food into their cabins.

I'd say, ask the person and then respect the answer (BEFORE having the gift bag there which then looks like there is an expected answer) rather than agonizing over whether you know what is best for someone else and their situation.

So glad that the attitude towards cabin stewards is changing from the "colonial" looking down your nose at them.

Why on earth would anyone give a gift bag with candym you dobn't know what their relgion is and if the contens of the candy controvenes it.

Go back to the good ole days, give them a couple of ball point pens (almost empty) and some glass beads they can thread in their spare time.

Seriously treat them with respect and deal with them how you want to be dealt with.

Give em the money.

Edited by G.M.T.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, retired067 said:

Just as a curious question, does anyone know the average hours worked TOO MANY and the average $$$ that a room attendant and a waiter  would receive NOT ENOUGH for a 7 day cruise.

BUT it can't be compared with what the US and UK, etc. passengers are used to.  Different culture, different economy, different expenses in their  countries.  MANY (most probably) are making a lot more than they would if they were working at home.  AND they get free room and board (and some other benefits).

More importantly, why does it matter?  Just tip whatever you think is appropriate based on your experience of the level of service as well as your own gut. 

Edited by jkgourmet

If you must (and I say must) bring a “gift bag” and treat the staff as you would a friend hosting a dinner party, as opposed to someone doing their job, do not give them “phone cards”.  Those days are long gone, they all have internet and cellphones.  Those phone cards have gone the way of the travellers check and the “Internet cafe” that used to litter the ports.  No need any more.

And sorry, I am definitely in the “don’t do it” camp.   The odds of them truly being delighted with choccies and soaps (expensive or not) and postcards (?) etc are slim to nil.  But you seem to have your mind set on cluttering their teeny weeny shared cabin with things that YOU like, so do whatever floats your boat!

• Like 2

I started to give dollar store gifts and phone cards instead of cash gratuities to my local servers at the water holes here and must say that they seemed less than appreciative.

Ingrates. 😎

cheap-gifts-for-guys-unless-something-sp.

Where the heck are crew supposed to stash gifts anyway?

7369.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/14/2019 at 1:18 AM, gold1953 said:

Sounds like a 'story' to get cash. Don't believe everything you are told

Probably was referring to food and beverage left in the cabin, I.e. a half drunk bottle of rum, or chocolates etc.  They definitely are told for health and safety reasons they must throw them out.  Some people truly believe leaving their cabin Steward booze they have not finished is a “gratuity”.  Aye aye aye.

1 hour ago, Diamond lover said:

Probably was referring to food and beverage left in the cabin, I.e. a half drunk bottle of rum, or chocolates etc.  They definitely are told for health and safety reasons they must throw them out.  Some people truly believe leaving their cabin Steward booze they have not finished is a “gratuity”.  Aye aye aye.

That would have not crossed my mind.. do people really bring their own food?   I assumed it meant things like candy.. wrapped and new

Would ANYBODY go to to a restaurant, get super outstanding service from the server, then leave them a box of candy to say thank you?  you

It's a job.   If you want to say thank you, give the incredibly hard working staff the respect they deserve and have earned.  Leave cash.

• Like 1

I'm always amused at people who think that the crew would love to have silly trinkets/candy, etc as gifts.  Why would you even think this is a good idea?  These hard working folks are doing their job and they would be very appreciative of a small cash bonus.  Please just think about it before actually doing it.  Pack some extra cash to give to those who deserve a little recognition for making your cruise memorable.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I'm always amused at people who think that the crew would love to have silly trinkets/candy, etc as gifts.  Why would you even think this is a good idea?  These hard working folks are doing their job and they would be very appreciative of a small cash bonus.  Please just think about it before actually doing it.  Pack some extra cash to give to those who deserve a little recognition for making your cruise memorable.  

But, but, but... dollar store pens, postcards and candy are so much cheaper than cash...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

There is no need to take a gift bag with you.

When eating in the MDR, ask for a doggy bag for your leftovers and present that to your cabin steward or captain (whoever gave you the best service).

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2019 at 7:19 PM, ScubesDad said:

I guess there will be two schools of thought: cash vs kindness.  there is an extensive amount of articles in people management and HR theory which indicates once basic needs are covered money loses some importance as a motivator, and sell esteem takes over.

I have theories about HR theory, but those would take us off topic. I'll just say that I would like to be paid more vs. receive a pat on the head. 😉

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 5:05 AM, justcrusn said:

I can tell you from reading TONS of posts about tipping bartenders, people feel adamant that a big tip in the beginning gets them great service, as do those who tip at the end, as do those who tip the standard 18%. They all three are convinced.

So, to me, the lesson is that you get good service, PERIOD.

My philosophy is, standard tip covers the standard service. Ask for, or get something above and beyond, tip accordingly. I try to do it at the time the service is rendered.

Tipping the bartenders is different from tipping the state room steward or the waiters at MDR if you are expecting a return in better services. We will pay a bigger tip on the first day so they will pay more attention to our requests to serve us better for the whole cruise. Then we would tip extra whenever we ask for extra service.

• Like 1