Gift bag for stateroom attendant?

Newbie2006

Watching a dollar tree video on Youtube, and the vlogger mentioned buying gift items (candy) for their stateroom attendant.

Sounds like an excellent idea -- they probably work months at a time without much time away from the ship . . . they might like a few snacks from your home country/region (stuff they wouldn't serve in the crew buffet, or might not sell in the crew store).

Does anyone else do this?

Sounds like a great idea.

The crew works those long hours for money.  What you or I may think of as a wonderful candy or favorite snack may be something they can’t eat or don’t like.   If you want to do something give them a extra tip and they can spend it on what they want or need.  Writing a positive comment about them on the post cruise survey goes a long way in helping them move up, earn a few extra hours off or extra internet minutes.

• Like 14

No, I don't think it sounds like a great idea, unless you actually know your steward. You have no idea of his likes or dislikes, or if he has dietary restrictions. And it's not like they never get off the ship - crew does get time off and they'll either do their own shopping or have a friend do it for them. If you want to do something nice, give them a tip over and above the auto gratuities. Then they can buy what they want.

• Like 4

OK. Feedback has been very unanimous. I agree.

Maybe this is more of a thing for Carnival or family-oriented ships where parents are trying to teach their kids to be considerate of others in a symbolic way.

I'm glad we have these boards to get feedback before making any rash decisions. 😊

• Like 1

This question appears on CC boards frequently.

The numerous answers are cash tips in addition to the auto tips and positive comments written on the cruise comment cards.

I also add that passengers should try to keep a neat cabin to make the steward’s job a bit easier.

Best to leave gift bags of goodies at home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newbie2006 said:

Watching a dollar tree video on Youtube, and the vlogger mentioned buying gift items (candy) for their stateroom attendant.

Sounds like an excellent idea -- they probably work months at a time without much time away from the ship . . . they might like a few snacks from your home country/region (stuff they wouldn't serve in the crew buffet, or might not sell in the crew store).

Does anyone else do this?

Sounds like a great idea.

Cash is always King. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Portraits of famous Americans on green rectangular paper are the best gifts

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A nice little nick back they’ve got no use got and precious little space to store would surely be better than a portrait of some old dead guy.

This was referring to US Dollars -  humor does not always translate well into other countries:classic_tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Newbie2006 said:

OK. Feedback has been very unanimous. I agree.

Maybe this is more of a thing for Carnival or family-oriented ships where parents are trying to teach their kids to be considerate of others in a symbolic way.

I'm glad we have these boards to get feedback before making any rash decisions. 😊

I agree about the cash tips being most welcome. It’s a nice idea to involve the kids, too, as a way of teaching. For example, suggesting putting away toys and clothes before leaving for breakfast so the steward can do his job better, and talking as a family about offering some extra cash gratuities for people the kids observed doing an extra-great job. So often, tipping is unseen, just mom or dad filling out a blank on the credit card slip. (Teaching works the other way, too, of course, if the folks are slobs everywhere they go, or brag about removing the auto-gratuities.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8mma said:

This was referring to US Dollars -  humor does not always translate well into other countries:classic_tongue:

Have to admit, I had to read it twice. As I thought that the only reason for anyone suggesting that any member of the crew would want 'a picture of an American' meant that the Turtles06 must be drunk or not what he meant I read it again and got it !

We bring cash for extra tips . Currency of countries we are visiting. We check with our room attendant to see which port day they have time off and give them money . We usually say enjoy lunch out . We often get reports back. Our last guy wanted Burger King with a milk shake . He said he was tired of 'mess food' on the ship. Watch the crew returning to the ship .. You see grocery bags!

• Like 3

Besides the suggested gratuities (which I pay upfront) and a cash tip I usually bring a box of German chocolate which always is highly appreciated.

Especially in the port of Warnemünde the crew is flooding a local supermarket buying all the chocolate (those who get time off buy for the others who have to work) and the shop owners have a hard time restocking the shelves.

steamboats

• Like 1

Why not take the cash you would have spend on "gifts" and hand it to your attendant (separately from any extra tip) and say "here's a bit extra for you to buy something for yourself".

Let the attendant decide if they want a "gift" or just to save a bit more.  Also, the gift would be something they really want.

Newbie2006, do what you feel is proper.  remember that the space allocated to each crew member in their living space in very small, so "stuff " from home is meaningless to them. However, in our experience a simple act of kindness goes a long way.  We will always pick up high end chocolates, always something that is individually wrapped, and leave them for our room attendant, waiter, bar staff, whoever.  The feedback is always a genuine sense of thanks.  Not sure why this is...but I think it is because you recognize them as a person not just an employee.  in the case of chocolate we have learned that it has "value" on the crew deck and is a highly valued item which can be bartered for something else.

This is not in place of the gratuities, or any extra grats you may wish to give.  this is just a small act of human kindness....the same a paying for  the morning coffee of the person behind you at the drive through.  I once brought back a cigar to our stateroom attendant because he wouldn't get time off to get out to get one for himself.

• Like 4

I ask our room steward if they are getting time off in port if they say yes I give them a bit of cash. If they say no I ask if there’s a treat they’d like us to bring back...chips, candy. I always bring a good sized bag of wrapped chocolate candies to hand out as well. 

• Like 2

We sailed during Christmas so we left our wonderful room steward a small bag with 4-5 chocolate truffles, a card and a small cash gift to wish him a happy holiday spent away from his family. Also gave him a cash gratuity at the end of the week (and we leave the paid gratuities on).  I agree, not much room for things so cash is best. I thouht the idea of asking if they would like anything from shore was a great idea - as well as giving a gratuity in advance of the next day off - will be using these ideas myself!

• Like 2

Cash.  Cold hard wonderful cash. 

Seriously - these hardworking folks get virtually all the food they want including sweets.  Be respectful and give them cash so they can buy what they want - or more likely, buy what they or their families NEED. 

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 2

We always leave the standard tips in place and give extra tips to most servers both room attendant, butler and dining staff in Luminea.  

We recently had an Assistant Waiter who loved chocolate and had mentioned it.   We would bring her little treats from each port.  She loved them and even shared them with the other waitstaff.   She was really pleased by our little treats.   The main reason we brought her gifts was we knew she had to share any separate tips we left her and wanted to her something to thank for taking care of us so well on a 45 day B2B2B.    We of course also gave her a nice thank you envelope with cast at the end of each cruise. 

• Like 2