Just back - A few observations

Clemmnj

45 minutes ago, reposado said:

Check out one of my old threads on the food in Oceania and tell me it doesn't blow away Celebrity by a few miles. Remember the specialty restaurants on Oceania are complimentary as well. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1593431-review-of-food-on-riviera-617-lisbon-to-romework-in-progress/

The pictures are back.  I went looking for your post last year and none of the pictures would open.  You must have paid your bill lol.  I loved that post. I read and reread and drooled over the pictures before my first O cruise in Dec 2012.

Got so enthralled that I was a bit disappointed on the cruise - I had clearly let my imagination run wild.  However it was really good and within a few months I booked another O cruise.  Next one is Number 15  but I'm trying the Edge in March.  I haven't been on Celebrity since 2011.

I’m delighted that it doesn’t bother you, but it bothers me. I also choose to be happy that I get to cruise at all. My point is that my cruise dollars used to get me more. I fail to see why hanging robes to be used by others in the closet the night before needs to happen, or why lining the rails with dirty laundry bags is the way Celebrity chooses to send us off. I no longer feel as if I am a treasured guest at that point and it is a sad send off. Hotels don’t do this and while I understand that there may be more cabins on cruise ships the employee to room ratio is probably about the same. The point of my original post was that Celebrity, at least as far as Concierge Class is concerned, is no longer what it used to be. And that saddens me. 

On some cruises the night before the attendant would remove our robes and just about anything else that he could, including ice bucket, glasses, flowers, and etc.  .   We would then see new fresh robes in the closest.   Too bad we would use them.

We would also see new supplies “hidden” in various locations that we would discover as we do a thorough check of the cabin to make sure nothing got misplaced or overlooked when doing our final packing

On the last day returning to the cabin for last minute gatherings  there was  always employees cleaning out other cabins, carts and etc in the hallways.  That is  nothing new.

Sometimes it does feel as if we are bad visiting relatives that they can’t get rid of fast enough.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

I'm not bothered by the multitude of activities, laundry bags, etc.  required by the crew on the morning we leave the ship.  Just part of normal cruising! The turn around time is really tight and there is much to do.  New passengers start arriving mid morning.  The crew is pretty heroic in getting everything in "ship shape" for the next voyage.  I would be a bit put off if truly disruptive things were happening in my cabin the evening before, ruining my last night.  But I would not really care about small things like new robes hanging in the closet if that happened.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They clean a cabin as soon as they can and that means that the hallways will have bags with soiled linen.  If they waited for all to leave they would delay the availability of cabins to new passengers. You can guess what they would be saying on these boards. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have to agree with Orator.   While you may be slightly inconvenienced  by the stateroom attendants per-staging certain items,  you benefit by being able to have access to your room quicker on arrival.   I've noticed that on CS's you will often find a zipped plastic bag under the bed with sheets, towels etc.   I've also seen them stick a bottle of champagne and bucket in one of the shelves.

It is better than the "Good 'Ol Days" when they would strip your room, hiding the book containing ship information under the cushion of the sofa etc.

• Thanks 1

I guess I would rather wait and have a later boarding time than be made to feel as if I’m being rushed out. Or even give an earlier disembarkation time rather than making me see that I am no longer welcome. Hotels manage to do it and I would assume the employee to room ratio is about the same. It’s not that I don’t understand that new guests are coming in, it’s the way it makes me feel. And the fact that the crew has to rush to turn the boat over is exactly the point of my original post, that Celebrity has much more of a mass market culture than it used to and we are getting a lot less for a lot more. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, woldridge said:

Good observations of a cabin category that has decreased in value over the years.  When Celebrity first started  with concierge level cabins there were flowers in the room (5 bud vases connected together with flowers in each, a rose in the bathroom, thick colored towels and wash clothes, and a bathroom shower rug. There was a variety of fruits, not just three green apples.  We received both the canvas bag and the one that everyone else got. While the afternoon snacks were as bad as they currently are, they were delivered daily.  My recent experience has been all over the place, but the worse was needing to fill out a paper daily if I wanted them, and I had to be in the room for them to be delivered. I now tell the room steward on the first day that I do not want these, so I am unsure of the practice now. Even though the sparkling wine was not the best, it was great to have as we sailed away to toast our starting another adventure. The room service breakfast menu was much more diverse than it currently is.  Just my opinion, but the biggest reason to book concierge now days is the larger room (M class), huge aft balconies (M class), footstools on the balcony and the additional points. 

We've always sailed concierge or aqua on Celebrity since 2006. Our last X cruise was on Silhouette in December, 2018. We received the same heavy duty carry bag that we've always gotten as well as the lightweight one and an additional white drawstring bag. We didn't have to be in the cabin for the afternoon canapes to be delivered, didn't have to fill out a form to indicate if and when we wanted them. (We did fill out this form on Connie in 2016 as well as Eclipse). We had 3 green apples on embarkation day which were replaced with oranges and a few pears as the cruise went on. The bottle of sparking wine hasn't been in our cabin awaiting our arrival since 2016, but we were advised on each cruise at the first meeting with our cabin steward that we could request it to be delivered chilled whenever we wanted it. (We usually trade it out in the dining room, Blu or MDR, with the sommelier for a bottle of Prosecco.) 

On each of our cruises we've noticed the fresh robes left in our closet for the next cruise on the last evening and it never bothered us. We remember how anxious we were to board and access our cabin and know the people following us will feel the same. The robes being there didn't impact us in the least. As far as the bags of linens in the hallway the on disembarkation day I always remember seeing that on every cruise and every line we've sailed. I really can't say it bothers me other than reinforce the fact that our vacation has come to an end.

The thing that bothered us on our last cruise in December on Silhouette in Aqua class were the bath towels with hanging threads from the hems. While it didn't impact the enjoyment of our cruise, it did impact the impression of less than luxury. I throw out towels at home long before the hems of the towels become tattered and don't expect to see that in a vacation venue be it land or sea. We did bring it to the attention of the hotel director. He replied promptly, apologized and the towel situation improved, but towards the end of the cruise the tattered towels made a reappearance.

Just finished my second HAL cruise this past weekend.  They somehow manage to have rooms ready to occupy by around 11:30 am on the first day AND you are allowed to stay in your room as you wait for debarkation on the last day.  Latest off-time is 10am.  Both trips I have seen stewards working in teams to tackle the already-empty rooms, but there is not the same hectic feeling as on Celebrity.  Nothing pre-staged in the room, either. 

If other cruise lines can do it, why can't Celebrity?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We've always sailed concierge or aqua on Celebrity since 2006. Our last X cruise was on Silhouette in December, 2018. We received the same heavy duty carry bag that we've always gotten as well as the lightweight one and an additional white drawstring bag. We didn't have to be in the cabin for the afternoon canapes to be delivered, didn't have to fill out a form to indicate if and when we wanted them. (We did fill out this form on Connie in 2016 as well as Eclipse). We had 3 green apples on embarkation day which were replaced with oranges and a few pears as the cruise went on. The bottle of sparking wine hasn't been in our cabin awaiting our arrival since 2016, but we were advised on each cruise at the first meeting with our cabin steward that we could request it to be delivered chilled whenever we wanted it. (We usually trade it out in the dining room, Blu or MDR, with the sommelier for a bottle of Prosecco.) 

On each of our cruises we've noticed the fresh robes left in our closet for the next cruise on the last evening and it never bothered us. We remember how anxious we were to board and access our cabin and know the people following us will feel the same. The robes being there didn't impact us in the least. As far as the bags of linens in the hallway the on disembarkation day I always remember seeing that on every cruise and every line we've sailed. I really can't say it bothers me other than reinforce the fact that our vacation has come to an end.

The thing that bothered us on our last cruise in December on Silhouette in Aqua class were the bath towels with hanging threads from the hems. While it didn't impact the enjoyment of our cruise, it did impact the impression of less than luxury. I throw out towels at home long before the hems of the towels become tattered and don't expect to see that in a vacation venue be it land or sea. We did bring it to the attention of the hotel director. He replied promptly, apologized and the towel situation improved, but towards the end of the cruise the tattered towels made a reappearance.

Not sure if it is the same.    I noticed on our towels that they looked like they were torn and the hem was hanging down.   I thought they were falling apart and then noticed they were intentionally placed on the towel to allow you to hang from the hook. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

This is my major pet peeve with Celebrity.  They used to advertise plush towels and suddenly they are thin and tattered. We always let the shore side concierge and the cabin attendant know that I am bothered by this and we get thick plush towels.  

Clemmj,

Roughly, what time was it when you returned to your cabin to collect your carry on luggage?

Obviously, the last morning “fire drill” bothers you.  My first cruise was 38 years ago and   I have been on a lot of cruises in the last 15 years.  From my experiences, it has always been that way including all our Celebrity cruises.  The trend is a lot of people want to get on as early as possible and off as quick as possible. This puts a lot of pressure on the hard working staff.

We have never enjoyed the last morning for many years, but we are used to it.  We want to be as considerate as possible to our cabin steward on the last morning/evening, because we know it is a lot of pressure for them.  They have taken care of us the whole cruise.

We have started to use the luggage valet and scheduling our flights in the afternoon, this helps to make for a more relaxing disembarkation.

You have a right to feel whatever way that you wish to feel. IMO it is your choice.

We just choose to look at the experience from a different perspective and it helps that we always have another cruise in our future.

Neither one of us are wrong.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Clemmnj said:

I’m delighted that it doesn’t bother you, but it bothers me. I also choose to be happy that I get to cruise at all. My point is that my cruise dollars used to get me more. I fail to see why hanging robes to be used by others in the closet the night before needs to happen, or why lining the rails with dirty laundry bags is the way Celebrity chooses to send us off. I no longer feel as if I am a treasured guest at that point and it is a sad send off. Hotels don’t do this and while I understand that there may be more cabins on cruise ships the employee to room ratio is probably about the same. The point of my original post was that Celebrity, at least as far as Concierge Class is concerned, is no longer what it used to be. And that saddens me. 

I think you are comparing apples and watermelons. Of course hotels don't do this, but it's been my experience is that hotels are not turning over the entire property on the same day within 3-4 hours like a cruise ship does. On a given cruise there are only a few B2B cruisers remaining aboard, and many of those change cabins!

• Like 2

We should all be aware how harmful cruise ships are to the environment. A lot of fuel used, human waste dumped both in the oceans and at every port, masses of people descending on each port each day creating more litter and waste. That’s on top of all the wasted food. Thicker towels mean more laundry detergent and waste water dumped in the ocean and at the ports. And if you don’t think some of that doesn’t end up in the ocean, you are naive.

We had a quick bite in Oceanview around 6:45 and returned to our cabin around 7:15. The dirty linen bags were lining the hallway and stateroom attendants were waiting outside the cabins. Since we had a late flight we were taking an excursion with drop off at airport. Our tickets and disembarkation letter indicated to meet at 8:00 in MDR. You are right that feelings are just that and each is entitled to their own. My point was only that I was never made to feel rushed or unwelcome on previous cruises and I missed the little extras that come with Concierge Class. I have elite status in captains club so it’s not as if I am unfamiliar with how Celebrity works. I will probably sail Celebrity again albeit with some nostalgia for how it used to be. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure if it is the same.    I noticed on our towels that they looked like they were torn and the hem was hanging down.   I thought they were falling apart and then noticed they were intentionally placed on the towel to allow you to hang from the hook. 

20181221_070353.thumb.jpg.534e4bc0ba4275af60a7f26558b1acfa.jpg

This is a photo of one of the better ones, where the hanging part is probably meant to be used as a loop for hanging on a hook, but the loop is badly frayed. On most of the towels we objected to, the "loop" was only connected to the towel on one side and the rest was just hanging down. I didn't take a picture of those unfortunately.

33 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I think you are comparing apples and watermelons. Of course hotels don't do this, but it's been my experience is that hotels are not turning over the entire property on the same day within 3-4 hours like a cruise ship does. On a given cruise there are only a few B2B cruisers remaining aboard, and many of those change cabins!

Don’t you see that that is exactly my point. This massive rush to turn the boat over and thereby making outgoing guests feel rushed or unwelcome is exactly what dissapoints me. Celebrity used to be a bit more luxury and a bit less mass market gotta get the buck mentality. At least that is how I felt. It is starting to feel more like Royal Caribbean and it used to be better than that. 

I think your comparison of a cruise ship to a land based property and the turnover doesn't hold water (no pun intended). A land based resort turns over in stages, whereas a cruise ship (X or other) do it all in several hours. How that makes a given cruiser feel is the question. In my case I'm sad to see it because it means my cruise has come to the end. In your case it makes you feel like you're not a valued guest. These are personal reaction and not (in my opinion) a reflection of the cruise lines decline.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This is my major pet peeve with Celebrity.  They used to advertise plush towels and suddenly they are thin and tattered. We always let the shore side concierge and the cabin attendant know that I am bothered by this and we get thick plush towels.  

I hate thin towels!  I have nice, plush ones at home and expect the same thing when I'm traveling.

3 hours ago, Lewisinde said:

We should all be aware how harmful cruise ships are to the environment. A lot of fuel used, human waste dumped both in the oceans and at every port, masses of people descending on each port each day creating more litter and waste. That’s on top of all the wasted food. Thicker towels mean more laundry detergent and waste water dumped in the ocean and at the ports. And if you don’t think some of that doesn’t end up in the ocean, you are naive.

... and you still continue to cruise, correct?

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I think your comparison of a cruise ship to a land based property and the turnover doesn't hold water (no pun intended). A land based resort turns over in stages, whereas a cruise ship (X or other) do it all in several hours. How that makes a given cruiser feel is the question. In my case I'm sad to see it because it means my cruise has come to the end. In your case it makes you feel like you're not a valued guest. These are personal reaction and not (in my opinion) a reflection of the cruise lines decline.

But the “here’s your hat, what’s your hurry” mentality was not nearly as prominent on my prior cruises. I never before had the crew waiting in the hallway, armed with the dirty laundry bag, waiting for guests to leave. I actually felt like I was being rushed out the door and it’s not a nice feeling. Combine this with all the other items mentioned, no flowers, no welcoming champagne, cheap tote bag, thin towels, and it certainly looks and feels like a decline from the Celebrity I was familiar with. 

We sail Princess a lot, and I haven't noticed pre staging the night before (until our last cruise on them) but we often try to leave as late as possible.  We'll sometimes pack up everything and leave our carry ons in the closet while we get breakfast.  We then go back and get them, and sometimes the room is all or partially made up for the next people.  

Not a big deal - we take them and go to a lounge.  I don't particularly feel rushed off.

5 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

20181221_070353.thumb.jpg.534e4bc0ba4275af60a7f26558b1acfa.jpg

This is a photo of one of the better ones, where the hanging part is probably meant to be used as a loop for hanging on a hook, but the loop is badly frayed. On most of the towels we objected to, the "loop" was only connected to the towel on one side and the rest was just hanging down. I didn't take a picture of those unfortunately.

That was the loop I was speaking of and I agree even that one looks really worn.   Remember the days with the large bath sheet towels.   I really miss those.

5 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I have to agree on the difference of land base hotels.   Unless I have some type of priority I don't recall many properties where you could get into your room before 2-3PM.  Check out times are also often much later like 11 or 12 noon.   At least in hotels everyone doesn't check out and check in at the same time.