Epic Interrupted

Briji04

Captain announced we would be arriving in San Juan around 5pm Tuesday. We will stay overnight and depart Wednesday at 6pm.

Our last stop scheduled was Stirrup Cay on Friday. No announcement made about missing it yet. They are still selling excursions for Friday. 

I’ve already been credited for the excursions in St. Thomas and Tortola. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Briji04 said:

Captain announced we would be arriving in San Juan around 5pm Tuesday. We will stay overnight and depart Wednesday at 6pm.

Our last stop scheduled was Stirrup Cay on Friday. No announcement made about missing it yet. They are still selling excursions for Friday. 

I’ve already been credited for the excursions in St. Thomas and Tortola. 

Thanks for the update and it sounds like a quickish fix.  Was watching yesterday and you had beautiful blue seas.  Hope rest of trip goes well.

12 hours ago, Battle Bots said:

You can keep abreast of teh ship here...

https://*****/ships-position-norwegian-epic

Yes, only when AIS data are reported and updated, it was giving out scheduled tracks to original port .  Unlike the last 15 minutes, clearly heading for San Juan at 11 knots ... with 4 remaining engines (out of 6)

but likely running just 2 or 3 at most.  We don't know if the bow & stern thrusters were affected or not, passengers are typically informed only on a need to know basis. 

• 3 × MaK 16M43 (3 × 15,200 kW)
  • 3 × MaK 12M43 (3 × 11,400 kW

Screenshot_20190212-102645.png

Edited by mking8288

16 hours ago, coscab said:

We are boarding Sat. for Western Caribbean on the Epic  (if she is back on time)

If there is trouble does anyone know where she would head for repairs on a Western Caribbean itinerary? 

I love San Juan but would be the wrong way😱

We are too... hope this cruise happens for the folks onboard now... and for our upcoming trip!

Just Docked in San Juan. Beautiful site of rainbow over the city with the Celebrity Edge, and the Caribbean Princess. Hopefully the repairs will be done by the 6pm Wednesday eve timeline. Otherwise we may be delayed further. I’m thanking my TA for insisting on top insurance coverage which includes trip interruption 😊👍

93BD6B5D-91F4-4A93-861A-7C210AFDBA62.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

That ship appears to have either a bad pilot or steering issues.

2 engines are down from yesterday thus why they changed course and limped to puerto rico.

but dont know if that affected the side thrusters

Edited by fstuff1

I'm curious what kind of damage this does to the ship, if any.  That bollard platform seemed to collapse fairly easily, maybe it's designed to do that to limit damage to ships?  It has you wondering though - how can it collapse so easily yet withstand being an anchor to tie up a large ship?

Seemed like the ship came in "hot", maybe a little fast for docking.

It appears @PTC DAWG and I had the same thoughts at the same time..

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'm curious what kind of damage this does to the ship, if any.  That bollard platform seemed to collapse fairly easily, maybe it's designed to do that to limit damage to ships?  It has you wondering though - how can it collapse so easily yet withstand being an anchor to tie up a large ship?

Seemed like the ship came in "hot", maybe a little fast for docking.

It appears @PTC DAWG and I had the same thoughts at the same time..

Yeah, but you pulled pollard, I was at a loss....good call...I’m assuming that’s correct..

Edited by PTC DAWG

59 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

read that the epic hit the pier while trying to dock!

Took out a pylon and a railing :classic_ohmy:

oh man..

edit:
link with video!

Seems all is well as far as humans are concerned because that is all that matters, the guy taking the video aint gonna get a job as a camera man that is for sure

Edited by Newleno

43 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Coming in HOT....it appears they built those “docks” to give way....hope all is well...

what are those platforms used for?
to tie the ropes to secure the ship?

if so, then it seems a bit flimsy if a tap from a ship sinks them.
how are they supposed to hold the ship in place if it gives so easily?

It came into San Juan port fairly slowly but appeared that the bow thrusters were not on until near/impact ?? as it should, before the 1st. pylon & railings were taken out, then the bow thrusters were ON at full power, apparently.  Too late and it continued onward & took out the 2nd. pylon & railings ... and, forward motion continued.  Hard to tell from the first video tweeted whether the stern thrusters were on or not.    

Our resident NCL ship expert, @chengkp75 can probably give us some background if & when he's around - I don't believe the ship's 4 bow and 2 stern thrusters are necessary affected by problems with the main propulsion systems ... and, they still had good daylight. 

One should think that all the officers are on the bridge and at their duty stations on their watch as the ship docked,  and on the wing's bridge that swing down (whatever it's called) by the front anchor at the bow ... did their portable 2 way radios also failed ?

• Like 1