Lisbon to Capetoen or Cape Town to Cape Town?

forgap

Curious about your thoughts on this.    The cost per day for Lisbon to Capetown is considerably less expensive but a recent trip narrative talked about missed ports and lack of infrastructure on the west coast of Africa.  Cape Town to Cape Town seems to take in much more of South Africa but is double the price. Both include safaris.  Looking towards 2022.    Thanks!  

We have done Cape Town to Cape Town and loved it (particularly Port Elizabeth where we paid quite a bit to do an excursion where you actually ride African elephants (nothing whatsoever comparable to Asian elephants).  We were looking at the Lisbon to Cape Town cruise but, after reading the blog from the ship, decided that what we had done already was better (just my opinion).

HI Jennifer & Georges; let me know what Capetown voyage y'all book, tho I want to go to Capetown and surrounding ports, Ida is hesitant.  Will do my best to convince her to book.  2022 sounds about right too.

• Haha 1

Although safari's are wonderful, I would not try to convince anyone who prefers not to do a safari.  I was not interested in safari for a variety of reasons but ended up enjoying.  However, this was something that I decided to do rather than something that I was pushed to do.

If anyone is concerned about ports on the Lisbon to Cape Town route, I would do a search of the recent cruise.  Some of the people refused to get off of the ship in some ports. I cannot speak to that but know that the ports visited on the Cape Town to Cape Town cruise are amazing.  Also suggest spending time in South Africa (Cape Town, etc.).  Cape Town is in the top five places that we have been in the world.

TS:  Here is our experience, which was Mariner 12/2015 Cape Town (CT) via several ports-of-call along the west African Coast and then on to Rio--

That cruise included a three-day add-on (no additional cost) pre-cruise safari at Addo Elephant National Reserve.  This involved a 1.5 hour flight from CT along with our Regent group and the locals to Port Elizabeth; then another 1.5 hour Van with the eight couples assigned with us to Camp Figtree.  Figtree is an English-themed Lodge perched above that Reserve. 

Absolutely fabulous experience which we would do again in a heartbeat.  Would highly recommend the CT-CT itinerary, particularly if a safari is offered as an inducement.  Other Regent groups were placed at various safari sites--as noted by other Posters.  From what we heard, upon boarding Mariner for the cruise to Rio--uniformly positive reviews, wherever that safari site was in the general Port Elizabeth area. 

If you decide to start at CT, and have never been there before, have a suggestion.  Arrive a minimum of three days' in advance of a transfer to a Regent hotel.  That hotel will be included should you do a pre-cruise safari.  It takes a significant amount of time to readjust to the time change, and climate change, particularly if flying in from North America.  This timeline was recommended by our TA, who takes special interest in conducting extended safari experiences throughout southern Africa.  Good advice. 

We stayed at the Victoria-Albert Hotel in the waterfront district.  This is about six kilometers from the heart of CT's business district (where the Regent hotel will most-likely be).  Again, a great experience. Concierge arranged the usual visits to local sites; we just relaxed, having champagne breakfasts (no additional charge); then walking in the area.  Dinners at a plethora of top waterfront restaurants were first-class, and very reasonable, given the exchange rate.  Then, seamless transfer to the Regent hotel--name escapes me.  Overnight, then get on the plane.   

You will not be disappointed no matter which itinerary you choose, particularly if a safari is part of the package. 

GOARMY!

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent cruise from Lisbon to CapeTown. The itinerary gave us the chance to visit a number of countries that we would not have visited otherwise.

We missed only one port (due to caution over local civil unrest). I believe the following Cape Town to Cape Town cruise also missed a port (due to weather). There is always the risk of missing ports on any cruise due to a variety of factors.

I don't believe that any guests "refused" to get of the ship; rather they chose not to go ashore which is their personal prerogative; the majority of the guests enjoyed the included or paid excursions at each stop, which were generally very good and extremely interesting.

We were on the same cruise as GOARMY in 2015/2016 and enjoyed the ports in South Africa and Namibia, before setting sail across the South Atlantic. The Regent organised Safaris near Port Elizabeth are excellent, but I know some guests like to organise their own to have a longer safari experience in other parts of Africa.

I am sure you will enjoy whichever of the two itineraries you are considering .................. but if you cannot decide then why not go for both 😮 ......... plus a long safari 😎

• Haha 1

In my opinion, there is a reason why the per diem is so much higher on the Cape Town to Cape Town cruise.  It says a lot.

Refused/chose not to go - the result is the same.   I read the blog one way and some people may have read it another way.

Looking at the 2020 West Africa & South Africa Regent cruises, one of the reasons for the per diem rate being higher on the Cape Town to Cape Town cruises is because the included air fare is spread over a 14 night cruise whereas the the air fare for Lisbon to Cape Town is spread over 24 nights.

I would not be surprised if the two 14 night Cape Town to Cape Town cruises in 2020 have their prices substantially reduced in due course. Even removing air fares, and working on cruise only prices, the price per day seems very inflated and this is reflected in the number suite grades still showing availability.

The 24 night Lisbon to Cape Town cruise appears to be nearer the norm for Voyager per diem rates and is reflected in many more grades of suites already being waitlisted or guaranteed.

NB: I am working on UK prices which differ from those in the US, but the principles remain the same.

We did the Lisbon to Cape Town cruise recently. Though we were glad we did it, it wasn't our favourite. We preferred the east coast cruise we took a few years ago that went from Dubai to CapeTown.  If it was me i would probably do the Cape Town to Cape Town one based on hindsight. Between our 2 cruises i believe we have been to most if not all the CT - CT ports and they were the highlights of both cruises.  To me a safari is an absolute must. It was 1 of the top reasons we took the LIS - CT cruise.  We wanted to cruise after 2 years of NO travel, see Lisbon again and do another safari. 

We did not refuse to get off the ship and i am not sure anyone did, what we decided not to do was pay for the expensive Ghana visa when we did not have an excursion that we really wanted to do.  We also decided not to get the Togo visa as once again we didn't have anything we were dying to do. In the end Togo was cancelled due to unrest as flossie009 stated. 

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

If I'm not mistaken, aren't there like three times the number of sea days on the Lisbon-Cape Town than there are on the Cape Town-Cape Town itinerary?  Extra sea days almost always reduce the per diem on a cruise...

Good point as that is another factor, but I think you have slightly overstated the difference between these cruises:

• Cape Town - Cape Town: 5 sea days out of 13 (38%)
  • Lisbon - Cape Town: 11 sea days out of 23 (46%)

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Looking at the 2020 West Africa & South Africa Regent cruises, one of the reasons for the per diem rate being higher on the Cape Town to Cape Town cruises is because the included air fare is spread over a 14 night cruise whereas the the air fare for Lisbon to Cape Town is spread over 24 nights.

I would not be surprised if the two 14 night Cape Town to Cape Town cruises in 2020 have their prices substantially reduced in due course. Even removing air fares, and working on cruise only prices, the price per day seems very inflated and this is reflected in the number suite grades still showing availability.

The 24 night Lisbon to Cape Town cruise appears to be nearer the norm for Voyager per diem rates and is reflected in many more grades of suites already being waitlisted or guaranteed.

NB: I am working on UK prices which differ from those in the US, but the principles remain the same.

flossie, while your logic in your first paragraph would make sense comparing  round trip air both ways to Cape Town, in the case of this comparison, the fare from Cape Town is the same for both cruises however the fare be it from UK or US to Lisbon is quite a bit different that the flight home to either location thus partially disproving your thoughts.

As to your second paragraph, really no way to figure what the actual fares are as the refunds in all cases are for sure less than the amount Regent uses to calculate the full fares so not sure that is a good analogy as well.  Without insight to the actual development of the cruise pricing difficult to compare.  And, at least for fares from the US, pretty sure Regent uses an average of the fare from the approx middle of the US  as the fares are the same including the air no matter where in the US one flys from which is why sometimes the air credit will be good for people living in one coast vs. the other depending on if the cruise is to the east or west of the US.

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Good point as that is another factor, but I think you have slightly overstated the difference between these cruises:

• Cape Town - Cape Town: 5 sea days out of 13 (38%)
  • Lisbon - Cape Town: 11 sea days out of 23 (46%)

Yeah, I missed one on the CT-CT sailing, I thought it was 4 and 11, which is close to three times the number.  Of course, 5 and 11 is closer to twice.  Which is why my wife is the banker and I'm the IT geek.   :classic_wacko:

Loved the CPT-CPT adventure several years ago on Regent. One of the best features was the included Safari. We added extra days, which was well worth the cost. We stayed in Eagle Crag. Faculous accomodations and two great safaris each day. Ports were fascinating. It was a bucket list journey and exceeded all our expectations!

Great memories!

Sheila and Herb

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

We just did the Cape Town to Cape Town holiday cruise in December/January. It was fantastic! We did the pre-cruise safari at Bayethe, Shamwari.  Highly recommend that one! Apparently the pre-cruise safari used to be free but when we booked the cruise two years in advance the discounted price was $799/per person.  They have raised the price and now it is $1,199 per person for 2020. Our cruise was on the Explorer and it was a holiday cruise so it was extra special! I noticed that Regent is not offering this itinerary in 2019 but in 2020 they are offering it twice.  One is in early December and the second is a holiday cruise. In 2020 it is on the Voyager, not the Explorer. This cruise was one of the best we have ever experienced on so many levels and the safari was one of the highlights.  Some of the excursions we did were also game drives so we had the opportunity to do several. They are no longer allowing guests to get on the elephants in Addo but we did go there as one of our excursions and it was pretty incredible. You see lots of elephants and very up close. On one of our other game drive excursions we saw beautiful white lions. 

119.JPG

• Like 2

Carol: 

Glad to read of your experience at Addo with the elephants.  See my above Post.  Am still trying to find that video my wife took of a bull elephant, walking alone, very quietly, down a dusty back trail right toward our Land Rover.  Our Ranger/Guide knew just where to be, and when.  Like, on cue.  This big guy kept coming; our Guide turned off the engine.  We sat there, in awe.  One of our hearty band--a back seat driver--asked:  "Are we in any danger?"  Silence.  Sue kept the camera going as the bull eyeballed us, about four feet from the Rover.  His head took up the entire frame as he kept walking past us.  That 25-30 second video was worth the whole trip.  Almost. 

As our Guide explained, after we had caught our collective breath(s):  as long as everyone stays in a vehicle, with no arms, legs, or heads protruding, and keeps relatively quiet, the animals do not perceive a danger; or anticipate a meal.  So, they leave you alone and continue on their way.  The rule is strictly enforced, and emphasized by a set of Rules posted upon entry; and reiterated before any excursion. 

During an earlier Addo outing, two guys in a car in front of us--not affiliated with our Camp Fig Tree Regent group--spotted the same lions we saw.  They started to get out of their car for a "better shot"--camera, of course.  Our Ranger/Guide--a big guy from Kenya--in a very-directive voice, directed them to immediately get back in the car and close the door.   He then got the plate number; was on his radio; and sure-enough, a few minutes later, another car rolls up, with other Park Rangers.  They ordered that car to follow them.  Big fine, and banishment from Addo awaited them, advised our Guide. 

I will keep looking for that footage, and figure out a way of posting it. 

GOARMY!

After twenty years of going to Africa we have never seen anyone riding an Elephant.  This really only happens in India and Thailand and is really not right.  We support the Sheldrick Foundation for orphaned elephants in South Africa.  Do not ride elephants anywhere in the world.  Many are mistreated and chained...disgusting.

Malbec Wine: 

Certainly the idea of an elephant ride did not occur to any of us when at Addo.  That question was not posed to our Ranger/Guide because, as posted above, no one was allowed to get out of those Range Rovers until cleared by our Guide to do so.  And we did while in the Reserve.  That venue was at a recreational area on an overlook while enjoying a delicious picnic lunch (with wines) served up by our Camp Figtree chef and her staff.  Really a cherry on top of the ice cream experience. 

GOARMY!

I’m glad you and others understood that.  One idea instead of the Range Rover should you return to beautiful Africa is do a short walking Safari with a game driver and tracker and get relatively close but a safe distance away.  The lodges and camps will not put you in harms way. We did our first walking Safari last year and I admit I was a bit nervous but it was fine and we had Sundowners under a Acacia tree and returned to the lodge for dinner.  We were at Royal Malewane gorgeous lodge and beautiful accommodations.  Google Royal Malewane or Ol Jogi.  Very high end but worth it for a land trip.

The overland Cruise safaris are good but a few are sooo much better.  We usually spend two weeks in Africa and you are not roughing it.