EDGE, EDEN, MAGIC CARPET: AN UNBIASED REVIEW

marylander2

7 hours ago, villauk said:

Good grief, I don’t blame you for walking out :classic_ohmy:! Did you complain and what was the response?

Yes, they did follow up.  Someone came up to the OVC and found us and apologized.  Part of the problem is the entrance to the service area in the Cyprus restaurant.  It is a narrow entrance/exit with room for only one person at a time with a crooked entrance that slows the servers down - coming and going.  The rest of the evenings was much faster service.

Proof once again that the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We hope that many of the issues will be resolved, including a boring Caribbean itinerary before we decide to pay for the experience.  But then the Scarlett Lady might be a place to look for a different experience than Celebrity's press release:

" Celebrity Edge is a ship designed to change the way you experience the world. A perfect example of this is the mind-blowing new venue, Eden. We invite you to indulge every sense in a transformative atmosphere that changes from chillful mornings to playful afternoons to sinful evenings. "

6 hours ago, poffles said:

- wondered what makes magic carpet special (and guess I still wonder :))

I think the main purpose of the magic carpet is to fix what traditionally has been traditionally one of the most poorly rated portions of the classic cruise experience, tendering.  Especially for maybe those less mobile where the narrow walkway and stairs can be daunting.  So now you have elevators straight to this nice big platform where there is a lot of space for people to help you onto the tender.

I think the moving and instagrammable bar/restaurant is a secondary bonus to the concept.

edit/reference: https://skift.com/2018/11/27/6-ways-celebrity-edge-is-changing-the-game-for-the-cruise-industry/

Edited by UnorigionalName

32 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I think the main purpose of the magic carpet is to fix what traditionally has been traditionally one of the most poorly rated portions of the classic cruise experience, tendering.  Especially for maybe those less mobile where the narrow walkway and stairs can be daunting.  So now you have elevators straight to this nice big platform where there is a lot of space for people to help you onto the tender.

I think the moving and instagrammable bar/restaurant is a secondary bonus to the concept.

edit/reference: https://skift.com/2018/11/27/6-ways-celebrity-edge-is-changing-the-game-for-the-cruise-industry/

Unfortunately the Magic Carpet has been rarely used for tendering. Our only tender port was Grand Cayman and we used the port tenders. It’s my understanding that it has been the same on almost all sailings.

An interesting question is if the tender/lifeboats cannot be used in relatively calm waters, how good will they be if a true emergency takes place. 

53 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

That could be the case and that definitely seems like a positive thing.  I think that the hype (perceived or otherwise) might be down to the marketing. 

11 hours ago, yvrdave said:

....  However we found the bed to be very firm and hard.  An extra duvet was added to help soften the mattress which got us through the 10 days.  And for many other reasons, we have decided that the Edge is not for us.

Interesting that you received an extra duvet when you complained about the hard mattress. I was on the Jan 13 sailing of the Edge in an IV cabin, and when I complained about the rock hard mattress, my cabin steward said nothing could be done, no more egg crates provided, for sanitary reasons. I was able to get hard sleeping pillows swapped out for softer versions. But still had aggravated neck and back pains for duration of cruise. And no resting on sofa, that was as hard as a marble slab. I booked the Summit for this summer and hope Cel doesn't put in those same type of mattresses and sofa. Also booked HAL Nieuw Statendam so know I won't have a problem there, or at least I hope I won't. No more Edge for me. The mattress issue, IV and other issues (see my Cruise Critic review) have put me off on ever booking Edge again.

12 minutes ago, shipshapertoo said:

Interesting that you received an extra duvet when you complained about the hard mattress. I was on the Jan 13 sailing of the Edge in an IV cabin, and when I complained about the rock hard mattress, my cabin steward said nothing could be done, no more egg crates provided, for sanitary reasons. I was able to get hard sleeping pillows swapped out for softer versions. But still had aggravated neck and back pains for duration of cruise. And no resting on sofa, that was as hard as a marble slab. I booked the Summit for this summer and hope Cel doesn't put in those same type of mattresses and sofa. Also booked HAL Nieuw Statendam so know I won't have a problem there, or at least I hope I won't. No more Edge for me. The mattress issue, IV and other issues (see my Cruise Critic review) have put me off on ever booking Edge again.

It looks like Celebrity will outfit all the ships with the Cashmere Mattress, which sounds like it might be plush and luxurious.  But it was very firm and hard to sleep on your side.   Perhaps for heavier people it might be OK.  If we go on the Millennium, I'm looking into bringing along some sort of egg crate topper.  :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

An interesting question is if the tender/lifeboats cannot be used in relatively calm waters, how good will they be if a true emergency takes place. 

In most emergency situations the lifeboats would be loaded while held in a stable position then lowered into the water.  Tendering they are subject to even mild seas causing them to bounce around causing a dangerous situation. The lifeboats seem to be designed to be pretty seaworthy once in the water and sealed up. 

That's my best guess. 

40 minutes ago, yvrdave said:

It looks like Celebrity will outfit all the ships with the Cashmere Mattress, which sounds like it might be plush and luxurious.  But it was very firm and hard to sleep on your side.   Perhaps for heavier people it might be OK.  If we go on the Millennium, I'm looking into bringing along some sort of egg crate topper.  :classic_smile:

Thanks for your reply yvrdave. I called Capt Club and got the phone number for Ship Services. Called and told them about the rock hard mattress on the Edge with no solution. They said since all ships will have the new mattresses, they will offer mattress toppers and try to anticipate how many they will need but must have run out on the Edge.  Well, what ever. Anyway I ordered 2 toppers for my Summit cruise. Based on the rock hard slab on Edge, better to be safe than sorry! 

25 minutes ago, shipshapertoo said:

Thanks for your reply yvrdave. I called Capt Club and got the phone number for Ship Services. Called and told them about the rock hard mattress on the Edge with no solution. They said since all ships will have the new mattresses, they will offer mattress toppers and try to anticipate how many they will need but must have run out on the Edge.  Well, what ever. Anyway I ordered 2 toppers for my Summit cruise. Based on the rock hard slab on Edge, better to be safe than sorry! 

Now that's a good tip.  We'll try that too when we book.  Softer mattress, happy wife! :classic_biggrin:

In response to your question reguest about LePetit Chef, Firefigther one, I liked the animation and it was very well done and did enjoy that.  However, you have two choices for each course and if you do not choose the first the animation does not match.  Not a big deal as my husband chose the second and did enjoy the animation.  I just thought the food was limited.  Glad we did it but would not do again so go for it.

Fine Cut was very good.  I guess "old school" but very similar to what you find at Ruth Chris.  Waiter had an uppity attitude but I handled that.  Would definitely go there again nd again  as I would enjoy going to Murano again and again if it ever is available on one of the Celebrity ships we sail on.

We are definitely glad we sailed on the Edge.  Just some things were not as wonderful as I had imagined.  On to the revolutioned Summit in May.

The Magic Carpet would be good for a drink which is available most days and nights but not that big a deal considering all they made it out to be.

Please let me know how you enjoyed the LePetite Chef.  I may have had a busy day and need to try it again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dazey said:

In response to your question reguest about LePetit Chef, Firefigther one, I liked the animation and it was very well done and did enjoy that.  However, you have two choices for each course and if you do not choose the first the animation does not match.  Not a big deal as my husband chose the second and did enjoy the animation.  I just thought the food was limited.  Glad we did it but would not do again so go for it.

Fine Cut was very good.  I guess "old school" but very similar to what you find at Ruth Chris.  Waiter had an uppity attitude but I handled that.  Would definitely go there again nd again  as I would enjoy going to Murano again and again if it ever is available on one of the Celebrity ships we sail on.

We are definitely glad we sailed on the Edge.  Just some things were not as wonderful as I had imagined.  On to the revolutioned Summit in May.

The Magic Carpet would be good for a drink which is available most days and nights but not that big a deal considering all they made it out to be.

Please let me know how you enjoyed the LePetite Chef.  I may have had a busy day and need to try it again.

Thanks Dazey, I will keep the reservation for Le Petit Chef and for the Steakhouse although I do not like uppity waiters either, LOL. Will let you know but it won't be for another couple of months.

9 hours ago, kearney said:

FYI the length of a King and Queen are the same... so space at end of the bed would be the same even if they used a smaller bed.

Kearney, I am aware of that :classic_laugh:

Two points to clarify: 1) standard mattress length is 80 in, and normally (because of the pillows) my feet are almost right at the end of it; Edge mattress is longer by some extra 5-6 in. 

2) it is not only the length, it is also the width of that monster bed. Again, it appears to be far wider than the standard king (76 in). Must be even bigger than CA king 😂😂

I realize that for many cruisers this hard mattress is tough to sleep on, but I like firm mattresses, and the Edge bed hit the sweet spot 🤣

Marylander2, thank you for your review, as I enjoyed reading about Edge from your perspective.  Since I do not sail until the end of April(TA,) everything I read allows me to see the Edge through the eyes of others, along with trying to find a way to put this collage of information together.  I know that being in a suite will most likely sweeten my view, but that is TBD.

Thanks for sharing the good, bad and ugly about Edge.  I truly believe that all the advertizing and hype were actually counterproductive, leaving many Edge cruisers feeling that after one cruise they were entirely over the Edge.  Since I will have 15 days on her, my experiences could be a variety of hits and misses.  I do have a European Edge cruised booked for next year; however, I will not second guess canceling if my first cruise does not meet my expectations...as for the first one, I am traveling with two other couples and my DH, so all of us plan to have a great time together...

Again, thanks for your unique perspective and background, allowing me to see Edge through your eyes...

*I do enjoy rather firm beds

*Eating in the OVC has never been an issue for me or the overall food quality

* I am very happy that my cabin is larger than standard

* The retreat area being quite a distance from our corner aft cabin will provide additional exercize...just thinking positive

*My DH and I really enjoy our workouts in the gym; the jogging track sounds great

* Do not think I will enjoy all the pillows

* It saddens me that the crew is so overworked; this one thing makes me extremely    upset with Celebrity

* It is what it is, but I also have choices

Edited by Lastdance

"by the way what is the purpose of putting such a low seat in the room... uncomfortable as hell... I actually brought 3" risers to raise it to a decent level... alas it did not make it more comfortable."

Perhaps that is where all those Kelly Hoppen pillows could be put to use.  :classic_biggrin:  Although they're probably not comfortable either.  At least one could be higher up and uncomfortable rather than low down and uncomfortable.  Celebrity does not have a good history with those couches.  The ones on S class are a decent height but absolutely uncomfortable to sit on.

I enjoyed the review.  Some seemed like trivial nitpicking but we all have our opinions and this is the place to share them.  

I do think all new ship designs come under this scrutiny and in general people find a lot to complain about.  There will always be comparisons with previous classes.  Then as time goes on the ships become accepted and the cruise lines make tweaks along the way.  

I've been sailing Celebrity since almost the beginning.  I remember when the M-Class made their debut.  There was lots of scrutiny because they were the first Celebrity ships designed by Royal Caribbean, and they were designed alongside Royal's Radiance Class.  Many felt they were too Royal Caribbean in several respects.  Now they are loved.   

Then came the Solstice Class.  People complained as much if not more than what I'm seeing with EDGE.  Only two staircases instead of 3.  Dining room no longer all the way aft.  No more wide promenade deck with great views.  Interlocking cabins that are more narrow with alternate bed placement.  Cabin doors opening out.  Awkward general arrangement in places.  The list went on and on.   Now people love the Solstice Class.   

I think the same will happen with EDGE.  Give it time.  

Edited by eroller

I travel solo and can't afford suites, as a rule.  Meaning I book veranda cabins and I don't think there is any amount of time that will turn an Infinite Veranda into a "real" veranda.  Almost every reviewer who has cruised in an IV has had that opinion.  The IVs represent a major portion of cabins available and eventually there may not be a lot of IV repeaters.  Suites, yes.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I travel solo and can't afford suites, as a rule.  Meaning I book veranda cabins and I don't think there is any amount of time that will turn an Infinite Veranda into a "real" veranda.  Almost every reviewer who has cruised in an IV has had that opinion.  The IVs represent a major portion of cabins available and eventually there may not be a lot of IV repeaters.  Suites, yes.

You may see the Infinite Verandas tweaked as newer classes of the ship come into service.  For instance the first 3 Voyager Class ships for Royal Caribbean had more enclosed balconies while the last two had the more open clip-on style balconies that extended from the hull of the ship (most common today).  Royal Caribbean is actually looking at having Infinite Verandas on their new Icon Class of ships.  Who knows maybe there will be variety of balcony styles.  

I still think people will sail the Edge Class ships and in time they may even become quite liked.  Lord knows EDGE is getting premium pricing now.  I can't even afford the ship.  I remember when NORWEGIAN EPIC came out.  The ship was universally hated for the open concept bathrooms in the cabins.  Now no one even talks about it and the ship sails full every cruise.    

1 hour ago, eroller said:

I do think all new ship designs come under this scrutiny and in general people find a lot to complain about.  There will always be comparisons with previous classes.  Then as time goes on the ships become accepted and the cruise lines make tweaks along the way.  

I've been sailing Celebrity since almost the beginning.  I remember when the M-Class made their debut.  There was lots of scrutiny because they were the first Celebrity ships designed by Royal Caribbean, and they were designed alongside Royal's Radiance Class.  Many felt they were too Royal Caribbean in several respects.  Now they are loved.   

Then came the Solstice Class.  People complained as much if not more than what I'm seeing with EDGE.  Only two staircases instead of 3.  Dining room no longer all the way aft.  No more wide promenade deck with great views.  Interlocking cabins that are more narrow with alternate bed placement.  Cabin doors opening out.  Awkward general arrangement in places.  The list went on and on.   Now people love the Solstice Class.   

I totally agree that eventually the Edge will be liked by most that sail on it. I am not sure it will be the current core Celebrity guests, but I could be wrong. I gave my own unbiased review being new to Celebrity and despite some misses, the smell in Eden meant my wife couldn’t be in there, we both abosolutely loved the ship. I can definitely see where some would dislike it too, but truthfully there really isn’t a way to build a ship that would keep everyone happy. 

Our college aged daughter has refused to sail with us since Disney, but after us jokingly asking her if she wanted to go with us on the Apex, she later told my wife she would really like to go. Not sure if it was the pictures or us talking about all the live music around the ship, but she wants to get back into cruising:)

1 hour ago, eroller said:

You may see the Infinite Verandas tweaked as newer classes of the ship come into service.  For instance the first 3 Voyager Class ships for Royal Caribbean had more enclosed balconies while the last two had the more open clip-on style balconies that extended from the hull of the ship (most common today).  Royal Caribbean is actually looking at having Infinite Verandas on their new Icon Class of ships.  Who knows maybe there will be variety of balcony styles.  

I still think people will sail the Edge Class ships and in time they may even become quite liked.  Lord knows EDGE is getting premium pricing now.  I can't even afford the ship.  I remember when NORWEGIAN EPIC came out.  The ship was universally hated for the open concept bathrooms in the cabins.  Now no one even talks about it and the ship sails full every cruise.    

I wonder how accurate of a cross section the members of this board are.  There are a lot of negative reviews of the IV and everyone says the sunset verandas are the way to go... but the sunset verandas are all still cheaper than the IV's.  There are relatively few sunset verandas and being as they have a great view of the aft I am surprised that the market doesn't seem to agree.

7 hours ago, eroller said:

I enjoyed the review.  Some seemed like trivial nitpicking but we all have our opinions and this is the place to share them.  

Did M and S class ships receive more criticism before the inaugural, in anticipation?  I'm hoping that they didn't have empty cabins and free cabins for casino players, but maybe prices weren't as spiked.  

From Dec 2008 - Feb 2009, Solstice reviews came in as follows:

51 Positive - 89%

5 Mixed - 9%

1 Negative - 2%

From Dec 2018 - Feb 2019, Edge reviews have come in as follows:

96 Positive - 45%

66 Mixed - 31%

53 Negative - 25%

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, eroller said:

I've also been sailing Celebrity since well before the "M" class debuted and I must say that I never read the kind of negative reviews you are referring to and the "S" class had amazing reviews, and in fact, for us, brought us BACK to Celebrity after having stayed away for 4-5 years.  The Edge reviews are much more negative at this point than for either of the other classes. 

35 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Did M and S class ships receive more criticism before the inaugural, in anticipation?  I'm hoping that they didn't have empty cabins and free cabins for casino players, but maybe prices weren't as spiked.  

From Dec 2008 - Feb 2009, Solstice reviews came in as follows:

51 Positive - 89%

5 Mixed - 9%

1 Negative - 2%

From Dec 2018 - Feb 2019, Edge reviews have come in as follows:

96 Positive - 45%

66 Mixed - 31%

53 Negative - 25%

Exactly......

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eroller said:

We started with Celebrity Century-class ships. I liked the Millennium class ships, although they were border-line too big for us.  Bigger is not always better.  Solstice class is definitely too big for us, but we can just about make them work by choosing the itineraries carefully and booking Aqua.  Edge class has none of the features we like about Millennium class and tolerate in Solstice class, so we will never go there.  Time does not always make these changes more appealing to us, it just narrows the pool of choices.  

Edited by lisiamc