Is April a good time for Norwegian Fjords?

frazzledmom

Hi there,

After a bit of advice.  We're looking to do a Norwegian Fjord cruise with P&O this year to celebrate our BIG birthdays!  We have an option to go from Southampton at Easter (20-27 April) but we're not sure if this is the best time of year to go in terms of weather and making the most of the scenery.  Other possible options to go are either early June or early September.  We would really appreciate some advice on this please.

Thanks

xx

April is going to be chilly.   Personally we would prefer June.  I assume your cruise itinerary will include Bergen (a favorite port of ours) so you might want to look at that cities weather averages for the various months.  

Hank

We went in June. Some days were a bit cool and rainy, other sunny, still cool. It was a 14 night cruise, with 3 nights over the Arctic Circle. North Cape was beautiful, but very windy and cold. Summer solstice so the sun didn't set - amazing.  In spite of packing layers, both DH and I bought jackets in Flamm. Of course my walking  along a beach, attempting to jump over a sand bar, and landing in the cold water didn't help.....still great time.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

Last July we saw temps in the 90's in FLAM!!!! and Geiranger, Bergen and Oslo .... something the hotels were NOT equipped for . . . 

a data point - the first scheduled cruise ship for Flam this year is 16 April

Edited by Capt_BJ

We had a mixed weather cruise to Norway early one May- including snow flurries- but also some bright days. A September cruise there was so much warmer- and that's quite important because you'll want to be out on deck for the cruising up the fjords. All that midnight sun has warmed the land up, so being on deck was quite balmy at times.

I do have several friends who like to take the ferries round Norway in winter or spring, but they are hardy types with the best winter wear available...

We went in August and there was rain and jacket weather.

Tbh Norway is always rainy and you will always need a jacket/coat of sorts. If the April prices are much better I would go for it as there would be chillier weather but less crowds.

The colder weather  may add to the experience for some...if you can stand it.

Edited by Velvetwater