Diamond Members and above - How do you cruise?

chrismch

Diamond member and above - How do you cruise?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. If you are a Diamond, Diamond Plus, or Pinnacle, what cabin category do you normally choose?

• Inside
    • Ocean View
    • Balcony
    • Suite

🤣 To L Maxwell... This was not meant to be a "scientific" poll! If that was my intention, it would have required many more questions. But your response is flawed as you failed to note that several suite guests don't even use the special lounges. And your review of the "data" doesn't take into account how often suite guests book cruises as compared to other cruisers. They also get double points for booking that category which means they achieve "D" status quicker even if they cruise less.

Edited by chrismch
  • Like 1

While I checked balcony in the survey, for cruises less than 7 nights, we always choose JS. For 7-night or longer cruises it's always one of the cabins with the large balcony. We've done JS on longer cruises when the price is right, but those deals are getting more and more rare. Can't see any reason to book anything more than a JS, since most of the suite perks don't really add anything we don't already receive, or don't really care about.

The last time we cruised in an ocean view cabin was on the Sitmar Fairsky to Alaska in 1991 (but that was back when ships didn't really have balcony cabins).

For us (D+) it depends completely on the price. We usually start out by booking an interior unless an oceanview or balcony isn't that much more. We watch the price as well and when there is a price drop we call Royal and get bumped up to the next category for little or no extra cost. We've traveled in everything from an interior to a JS but our usual reservation starts out as an interior. We spend so little time in the room we see no point in paying for something more. We'd rather spend the extra in the venues around the ship.

Edited by Cayman Turtle

6 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Why is JS your favorite?  Just curious.   We usually choose a spacious balcony, but earlier this month did a JS on the Vision.   We were not impressed and don't think that there were significant differences over the balcony.  Are JS on bigger ships different than JS on smaller ships like Vision?

BND and their post #9 said it well...agree completely.

• Like 1

We will be Diamond as of March, 2020.  In case this thread is not available then I am answering now.  We have done all insides except one balcony on the Quantum.  Will be more likely to book balconies on Quantum class ships in the future because of the reduced difference in original prices plus the Diamond discount.

10 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Look at your own survey.  33% of upper tier C&A members say they are in Suites.  Quite an accomplishment when less than 10% of the ship is suites to start with.  Seems like C&A disproportionately highly represented.  Flawed study and useless data, but should know how to interpret. 

I feel RCI is dropping perks not in FAVOR of suites, but simply trying to reduce costs, increase profits, and as a side effect create differences between suite perks and loyalty perks.  One way would have been to add more suite perks.  RCI took the other way.  Reduce loyalty perks. 

Your logic is flawed.

10% may be suites, but there are 20+ ships.  You are assuming they are all on the same ship, which is of course impossible.

This is good data.  

Edited by steveru621
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

Your logic is flawed.

10% may be suites, but there are 20+ ships.  You are assuming they are all on the same ship, which is of course impossible.

This is good data.  

All the data is here is trash, don't pretend like it is any kind of meaningful sample.  It is good discussion fodder, but no basis on reality.  The company surely has that data, and they aren't telling us. 

OP just wanted a bunch of D/D+/Pin to say they don't cruise in a suite so they could make some kind of point about lounge access.  

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

All the data is here is trash, don't pretend like it is any kind of meaningful sample.  It is good discussion fodder, but no basis on reality.  The company surely has that data, and they aren't telling us. 

OP just wanted a bunch of D/D+/Pin to say they don't cruise in a suite so they could make some kind of point about lounge access.  

Your opinion.  My guess is it doesn't match your pre-conceived outcome.  Therefore you don't believe it or you believe everyone has lied.  So be it, I think it's good data.

Polls are a sample of a larger group.  I suggest you look up how many people are actually sampled in any poll.  You'll be surprised at how few people are included in the sample.

5 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Your opinion.  My guess is it doesn't match your pre-conceived outcome.  Therefore you don't believe it or you believe everyone has lied.  So be it, I think it's good data.

Polls are a sample of a larger group.  I suggest you look up how many people are actually sampled in any poll.  You'll be surprised at how few people are included in the sample.

I'd lend it more validity if it were not on CC.  

CC is a sampling of cruise enthusiasts.  Active membership is far lower than total membership.  As a function of total cruise berths sailing weekly we aren't even a drop.  

Anyways, it's an interesting discussion but I know the same worn out road it's going to head down and no problem on calling OP out on their intentions.  Room type of choice versus loyalty level does not have a direct correlation anyways.  Some people choose suites; they want it, they can afford it, they couldn't tell you if they are any particular loyalty level at all.  Some people have other priorities or budgets.  What has that got to do with loyalty benefits, really? 

We also are Diamond.  We always stayed in Balcony until a few years ago, when we started staying in higher suites.  We find the extra  perks are great when on longer cruises, but  for  our 7 day cruises  we now stay in JS  and find it is the best value.  .Still get to eat in CK,  and as we don't drink much, the free booze doesn't concern us ,(we do get to use the diamond lounge ). 

Just made D+. But have always gotten the drink package since it was offered so never really felt a need to go into the diamond lounge after a few too crowded experiences. 

Overall I would estimate 40% suite bookings. 

When we are with friends and family not booking a suite, we will book balcony.  We do enjoy the suite lounge and benefits but if we have to choose between using suite benefits or hanging with family we can usually only justify JS prices at the most. 

We we will be empty nesters this fall so I envision us booking more suites.  We we will most likely never make pinnacle.   So for me I am learning to be more careful about what cruises I might book a suite where the amenities might be diluted. And then will consider booking other cruise lines where loyalty is appreciated but not overrule the benefits of  current suite passengers.   

Hey I get it. Some people have spent a lot of time and money earning their status. But as an educated consumer I also understand some lines value current money over cumulative points.     Not right or wrong. Just different business directions. And interesting how RC handles loyalty very differently on two of its own lines. Celebrity and RC. 

And as an aside, I was pretty excited to get diamond. But I soon discovered the biggest benefit is balcony discount, but so many this and that limitations so maybe I get $50 off. The three free drinks. Eh. We get the drink package. Just made diamond plus. But honestly don’t feel that my life has changed any more than when I had kindergarten graduation. 

Edited by cindivan

18 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Why is JS your favorite?  Just curious.   We usually choose a spacious balcony, but earlier this month did a JS on the Vision.   We were not impressed and don't think that there were significant differences over the balcony.  Are JS on bigger ships different than JS on smaller ships like Vision?

Yes!!  

We sail JS too.  95% of our cruises are JS. 

We've also never set foot in a Diamond lounge.

We enjoy the extra space, bigger balconies, walk in closets, and with young kids --- the bathtub.

We have never sailed a Vision class ship  --- we're going on one in 2 weeks for the first time.

I've been warned that the Vision class JS are NOT typical JS and are much smaller.

So I encourage you to try a JS on another ship.

We typically love the extra room and the double cruise points

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Yes!!  

We sail JS too.  95% of our cruises are JS. 

We've also never set foot in a Diamond lounge.

We enjoy the extra space, bigger balconies, walk in closets, and with young kids --- the bathtub.

We have never sailed a Vision class ship  --- we're going on one in 2 weeks for the first time.

I've been warned that the Vision class JS are NOT typical JS and are much smaller.

So I encourage you to try a JS on another ship.

We typically love the extra room and the double cruise points

You will enjoy the Vision class ships as well. Very similar to the Radiance class. Just turn the pool deck around 180 degrees so the Windjammer is forward and the solarium is aft. We enjoy both the Vision class and Radiance class very much.

Have not been in a JS on Vision class. However, have been in a GS on a Rhapsody T/A and it was a little smaller(square footage) than a Radiance GS.

Edited by L454S

We do interiors now as we love the darkness for sleeping in and the savings, too.  

We never buy a drink package as we drink very little alcohol and soda almost never. If the mood strikes us we can get a free but low quality drink in the Diamond lounge. 😬

Edited by Bookish Angel

9 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Yup

Access to a diamond lounge is NEVER associated with accommodations. The variable is solely on the number of diamond /diamond plus on the ship. However when a  D/d+ passenger sails in a full suite, that passenger also has access to a suite lounge, thereby freeing up  space in the D lounge. 

I still don’t understsnd the survey and the accompanying first post.   The survey was to ask what kind of cabins certain loyalty categories book. Then the accompanying first post indicated it was to see how crowded the lounges would be.   

There could be 500 d/d+ plus members all  booked in balconies and junior suites, or there could be 500 diamond/ d plus members all booked in interiors and the D lounge  use could remain unchanged. 

Also, there are many passengers, regardless of accommodation, who don’t bother using the lounge,  

Except to learn about different cabin  categories, why does anyone care what kind of cabin someone books.

Also, if loyalty status provides access to a loyalty lounge, why would amyone care the acommendations of the passengets in the lounge.   

M

Edited by cruisegirl1