When did clean water glasses stop?

lisiamc

When we first started cruising on Celebrity, it was obvious that the water glasses in the cabin were changed for clean ones when they’d been used.  A clinking, rattling trolley used to go down the corridor, to pick up old ones and deliver new ones, and occasionally the shape of the glasses might be a bit different.  

On this cruise, I noticed on Day 2 that one of the glasses had a tiny chip on the rim.  On the next day, there was also a chip on one of the glasses.  And every day since, that same glass with the chip is with us.  Today it has an incompletely-cleaned lip print on it.  There are no trolleys with fresh glasses to be seen in the corridors.  

So what happens to our glasses every day?  Are they cleaned with our used bath towels?  A cleaning rag that was used on the sink?  I don’t like either of those thoughts.  :classic_sad:  Is this another cost savings?  And how long has it been since glasses were taken away and replaced with clean ones?

Edited by lisiamc

Even in hotels the glasses are often “wiped clean” especially if you are staying several nights. It is best not to think too much about such things....

Id much prefer them to be collected and run through a sanitize cycle on a commercial dishwasher, it probably doesn’t happen as often as I’d like, whether on ship or shore.

Most cruise ships are 100x more sanitary than the average land based hotel. Hopefully cruise ship stewards are trained to use different cleaning cloths for different purposes in the bathroom (often color coded) and are given proper cleaning solutions to wash the glasses. 

If you’re really concerned, throw a stack of disposable cups into your suitcase before you head to your ship. 

• Like 2

Ok, gonna have some fun with this thread :).  We still remember visiting Ukraine in the days of the USSR where they had drink vending machines with a single glass.  You would drop in your coins and the glass would fill. After drinking you put the glass (upside down) back on the vending machine at it sprayed a little cold water inside the glass so it was ready for the next person.   Perhaps this would  be a plan for a future cruise ship :).

Hank

• Haha 4

If you've been rinsing them and putting them back in their original position, perhaps your steward doesn't think you used them.  When we've used one of those water glasses in the cabin I put it on the edge of the desk and it's always been either wiped clean or (so I happily assumed before reading this thread) replaced with a new glass.

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Did you tell the cabin attendany about the chipped glass and ask to have it replaced?

Yes you can tell them to have it replaced, BUT if they are really cleaning, don't you think they should notice the chip themselves and not leave it there for you to cut your lip.

• Like 1

On our cruise this past December in Silhouette DH dropped and shattered one of the glasses in the bathroom of our cabin. The steward came and did a great job of sweeping up all the shards, vacuumed the floor and washed it afterwards as well as the shower in case glass went into it. He did not, until two days later replace the broken glass with a smaller one that didn't match. We used the glasses provided for the afternoon tea delivery, which were replaced (or cleaned daily). I think I'll do a more careful observation and cleaning after reading this thread!

10 minutes ago, wendychloecruiser said:

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use these glasses in a hotel.   Pick a bug...it will be cultured from these glasses...

I guess I’m not staying in the right hotels I only get plastic or paper cups LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, nikel said:

Yes you can tell them to have it replaced, BUT if they are really cleaning, don't you think they should notice the chip themselves and not leave it there for you to cut your lip.

You would think, but obviously not. Agree you shouldn't have to BUT that's why in what you experienced you needed to point it out to them. Possibly a little comment in the post cruise survey also. 

Edited by davekathy

I saw a video once of a room attendant in a hotel using the same cloth she wiped down the toilet with to clean the glasses!  We are careful too to clean the glasses.

Youwash, nothing wrong with the plastic ones encased in cellophane!  Maybe they're way better than the glass ones....cleaner too!

3 hours ago, nikel said:

Agree, they should see the chip but over the holidays I put out wine glasses for a gathering and one had a small chip which I didn't notice.  So sometimes we all miss a things, I appreciate that my guest noticed it and didn't use it.

• Like 1

We noticed several glasses from the buffet that were grazed and some had chips.  It was just a few weeks in the new Edge sailings.

We get the bottles of water at various locations and take them to our cabin instead of using the glasses.  On the Edge the smaller water was in aluminum so since we had the premium package we would get Evian water in a bottle.

Sometimes it is best not to think about all the things that could happen.  Save that energy for when something does happen I guess.