When did clean water glasses stop?

lisiamc

1 hour ago, bigbeergut said:

Wow, this is starting to make me sick.  In the future, I think I'll just push those glasses to the rear of the cabinet and get a clean one from the buffet on the first day and then replace it every couple of days.

I agree, some of these scenarios are making me feel a bit nauseated although I’m not sure how many times we really use the glasses in our stateroom. We usually have the premium drink pkg so tend to drink bottled water but I’m sure this thread will pop into my head the next time I go to use a glass in a hotel or on the ship. I do like the idea of grabbing a fresh glass from the buffet if we are going to use one!

I’m sure there are potentially some pretty gross things that can happen everytime we eat or drink outside of our home. I think I’m just going to not think about it and hope the alcohol kills off anything harmful...lol

Edited by SeasideMemories

9 hours ago, Champagne Cruiser said:

I always clean the glasses on the ship and in hotel rooms with very hot water and soap. If the hotel gives me styrofoam coffee cups for the Keurig in the room I use these. I too saw the hidden camera episode on how the hotel maids were cleaning the glasses and since then I always clean them myself. 

Did you ever look inside one of those mini coffee pots that are in hotel rooms? After finding a lipstick print on a mug, I checked out the electric pot. Yuck. Makes me wonder about that ice bucket, too.

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Ok, gonna have some fun with this thread :).  We still remember visiting Ukraine in the days of the USSR where they had drink vending machines with a single glass.  You would drop in your coins and the glass would fill. After drinking you put the glass (upside down) back on the vending machine at it sprayed a little cold water inside the glass so it was ready for the next person.   Perhaps this would  be a plan for a future cruise ship :).

Hank

I love this post! My husband has been telling me this story for decades (he visited the Soviet Union in 1965 as a student). When he finally took me there in 1997, they were no longer doing this. (But the glasses they used for Kvas on the streets didn't look much cleaner...)

43 minutes ago, Rod&Deb said:

OMG World Class problem.  If your worried about someone cleaning your glasses every day I suggest you put some antibacterial wipes in your case.

Pretty much by definition, every thing that doesn’t go well on a cruise is a First World problem.  At home, I do not use the same glass for sixteen days without giving it a good wash once a day.  If wanting the same thing on a ship makes me a germaphobe, so be it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sascol said:

Folks, how hard is this?  If you do not want to use the glasses that are there simply ask your steward to replace them with fresh ones or go to the buffet and grab clean ones.  Wow - that was tough.

Wow...are we ever fortunate for you to tell us all what to do...🙄

• Like 1

I haven't seen a cart with clean glasses in the corridors in YEARS including Princess & RCCL.

No idea what kind of rag they use to clean them.

Have no idea if they even change them out between cruises (haven't seen them doing it on B2B).....

We only keep our toothbrushes and other little items in them. 

Not paranoid, but just think it's prudent to keep paper coffee cups from El Bacio in the cabin for drinking or just use the water bottle.

Do the same thing with hotels but most have glasses/plastic cups wrapped in plastic these days.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

I know a person that will throw a chipped plate on the ground if he finds one in a buffet.  He claims it is against health codes to use dishes that have cracks or chips and that will make sure it isn’t used again.  

On our last cruise on Celebrity we were in a suite.  The first drink I was served in Micheal’s Club had a red lipstick mouth mark along the rim.    It was definitely something the BT should have seen.   

Also have had cloth napkins with lipstick smeared on them.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I feel like I learned this lesson a few decades ago now.  Media outlets love to run some version of the same story every few years. Bottom line is that any human is going to make mistakes now and again. including those who clean rooms.  The only way to ensure standards are being met is for managers to stay vigilant with inspections.  Some hotels are better at it that others.  All management is going to say "we have procedures in place to address these issues" and then keep chasing profits anyway they can by hiring the minimum number of people possible.  Also, a lot of the standards are more lax than some may assume (like how often blankets or bedspreads are laundered, for example, especially in the budget categories).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BridgeMates said:

We only keep our toothbrushes and other little items in them. 

I also just use the glasses in the bathroom to store toothpaste and toothbrush. I frequent the Spa Cafe and use the paper cups from there. Also bring my own thermos from home.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 10:58 AM, Hlitner said:

Ok, gonna have some fun with this thread :).  We still remember visiting Ukraine in the days of the USSR where they had drink vending machines with a single glass.  You would drop in your coins and the glass would fill. After drinking you put the glass (upside down) back on the vending machine at it sprayed a little cold water inside the glass so it was ready for the next person.   Perhaps this would  be a plan for a future cruise ship :).

Hank

You made me laugh! I had forgotten about those machines until reading your post. Traveled there with a college history group in 1969. And, yes, we tried them!

On 2/26/2019 at 12:06 PM, nikel said:

Yes you can tell them to have it replaced, BUT if they are really cleaning, don't you think they should notice the chip themselves and not leave it there for you to cut your lip.

I am a regular at a local grill and bar and over th last 10 years, I have ran across a couple of glasses that that had a chipped rim or a touch of lipstick.   They are very studious in washing the glasses, however missing a chipped glass is relatively easy to miss.  Even a touch of lipstick can be easily missed when they do the wash routine per "code".  I just let them know. 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:19 AM, CruiseAF said:

The water on a cruise ship gets so hot it will kill any germs. 

THAT is not true. Unless the water is BOILING and those "germs" are exposed for a certain amount of time there is no guarantee of "killing" them.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, TeaBag said:

I saw a video once of a room attendant in a hotel using the same cloth she wiped down the toilet with to clean the glasses!  We are careful too to clean the glasses.

Youwash, nothing wrong with the plastic ones encased in cellophane!  Maybe they're way better than the glass ones....cleaner too!

That was a 60 minutes expose and then many local stations did the same expose after the 60 minutes one. That is why I don't use hotel glasses. 

On 2/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, miched said:

I know a person that will throw a chipped plate on the ground if he finds one in a buffet.  He claims it is against health codes to use dishes that have cracks or chips and that will make sure it isn’t used again.  

On our last cruise on Celebrity we were in a suite.  The first drink I was served in Micheal’s Club had a red lipstick mouth mark along the rim.    It was definitely something the BT should have seen.   

Also have had cloth napkins with lipstick smeared on them.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I've also received glasswear with lipstick on it in Michael’s Club.

This brings to mind an incident that happened one afternoon at High Tea in MC. We discovered that the silverware already set on the table was dirty. I brought it to the attention of one of the Butlers who was serving. He apologized and promptly gave us new silverware... which was also dirty. We then spoke to the Concierge who went to get us some clean silverware from the bar. However when he looked through the box he was mortified to discover that almost all of it was dirty! He apologized profusely and explained that they had been having problems with the dishwasher. We ended up laughing it off, but the experience  did show that there was a lack of attention to detail. 😉

Perhaps there is something to be said for cheaper hotel chains that put out plastic glasses in sealed plastic!

The last Hampton Inn I stayed at had paper cups. Dual use for water or the coffee maker. Unfortunately the coffee makers in those inexpensive hotels look like they are rarely cleaned. So I don’t use those. They did have coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby which was better anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The last Hampton Inn I stayed at had paper cups. Dual use for water or the coffee maker. Unfortunately the coffee makers in those inexpensive hotels look like they are rarely cleaned. So I don’t use those. They did have coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby which was better anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And what makes you think the lobby coffee machine has been cleaned in the past year?  :).

Hank

4 hours ago, cruise47 said:

When storing your toothbrush in a glass, please used unused mouthwash rinse in the glass to keep your toothbrush germ free.

A consumer report tip.

What a great idea. I'll be sure to bring a sample bottle from home. I also bring a couple of toothbrushes in case one falls in the sink in which case I throw it out.