charging for a 1year old

MooNGaTe27

going on the Sunshine in Nov & carnival is charging for a 1 yr old .The worst part is they are making me get a room that can handle 3 people & they are charging for port tax & tips .

This is a 1yr old she wont be eating in any of the venues & she wont be making a mess ( of the room lol ) Has this happened to anyone Im I just to suck this up ? Help.

As n6qqq said, you won't be charged gratuities for the toddler... although in my experience, they may make a bigger mess than most adults!

But yes, it's true, as soon as you're old enough to cruise (baby must be 6 months old) you count as a passenger and have to pay accordingly.

it's a little bit like a single person having to pay for 2 people in the room. not sure why they do this at all.  I'm waiting until my daughter turns 2 so we can at least utilize camp carnival during the day. I can't take a 1 year old on a cruise and have any sort of a good time without a break from the baby.

• Like 2

With a one-year-old there are still sheets to be changed, towels used, dirty disposable dipers to be taken away, etc .  While you are having meals, she will be with you and will be old enough to sit in a high chair & eat finger food.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 4

Look at the Carnival website.  I had looked it up a few weeks ago for my daughter who was considering a cruise with their 7 month old.  Usually the 3rd person in the cabin gets a discount on the fare.  While he may not eat much of anything, he is still taking up a space and by law must be accounted for on the list of guests.  According to Carnival website, you are not required to pay gratuities.

Depending on when your cruising...there are discounts for the child (3rd person).... Although I booked on Adventure of the Seas for the week of 4/13...I also considered cruising on Breeze or Conquest.... Currently they are charging $18/ plus port taxes for 3rd person in cabin.....for that week 

Edited by lcpagejr

4 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

it's a little bit like a single person having to pay for 2 people in the room. not sure why they do this at all.  I'm waiting until my daughter turns 2 so we can at least utilize camp carnival during the day. I can't take a 1 year old on a cruise and have any sort of a good time without a break from the baby.

Single passenger has to pay for two.because they could have gotten two paying customers in a cabin but can't because of the single occupancy.the cruise line is out to make money.just plain and simple economics.

• Like 2

I don't see a problem with the charging for a one year old. If people are choosing to bring their babies on a cruise then they should be allowed to charge whatever they want.

If you don't like the price don't sail with Carnival.

I'm sure there are a lot of non cruise vacations that would be cheaper.

If this is a question of cost I'm sure your travel agent can find a better deal.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

Unless things have changed, children have to be potty trained before going to camp. 

2 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I don't see a problem with the charging for a one year old. If people are choosing to bring their babies on a cruise then they should be allowed to charge whatever they want.

If you don't like the price don't sail with Carnival.

I'm sure there are a lot of non cruise vacations that would be cheaper.

If this is a question of cost I'm sure your travel agent can find a better deal.

Somebody LOVES kids. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

SOLAS ( Safety of Life At Sea ) regulations require Carnival have a seat for the wee one in a lifeboat. Since they can't charge anyone else for your child's seat you must pay. You don't want the little one bobbing around like a cork in open waters during an emergency because they don't have a seat in a lifeboat.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

My kids started sailing at 13 months of age. Yes, it’s normal. Unfortunately, crusing is not like flying with a toddler where you sit them on your lap and they don’t occupy a revenue generating seat. On a ship, even if they are 6 months old, they occupy a berth that otherwise would’ve gone to another paying passenger. 

And you’ll probably be surprised at the bigger mess little ones make and the extra work that cabin stewards and waiters have to do to cater to them. I was chasing after our cabin steward on the last day of our son’s first cruise to give him an extra tip. He went way over the call of duty to make sure that our son was well taken care of. I felt terrible that Carnival didn’t charge a  tip for our son. 

• Like 5

The issue is that every person on the ship has to have a seat on a lifeboat. There’s no carry in your arms exception like there might be on a plane. That lifeboat seat is being taken up by your child so you have to pay for the passsge. If your child wasn’t taking it then it could have been used to accommodate another paying passenger.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

The issue is that every person on the ship has to have a seat on a lifeboat. There’s no carry in your arms exception like there might be on a plane. That lifeboat seat is being taken up by your child so you have to pay for the passsge. If your child wasn’t taking it then it could have been used to accommodate another paying passenger.

I wish I had said as much, oh wait.... 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MooNGaTe27 said:

going on the Sunshine in Nov & carnival is charging for a 1 yr old .The worst part is they are making me get a room that can handle 3 people & they are charging for port tax & tips .

This is a 1yr old she wont be eating in any of the venues & she wont be making a mess ( of the room lol ) Has this happened to anyone Im I just to suck this up ? Help.

Yes, why shouldn't you have to pay?  Are you planning to haul your diapers home?  is she not bathing?  There is no age restrictions on port taxes.  The ports don't care and the ship has to pay them for each passenger who will be on the ship not just those who get off the ship.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, rolloman said:

As far as the room goes, If you agree to use a pack and play for the child, you can get a room which accommodates 2 passengers. 

I don't think this is correct.  If you have 2 adults and an infant, you would still need a room that accommodates 3 people.  The infant is still registered as a guest.  Regardless of what you use for the baby to sleep in, you would not be able to book 3 persons in a room for 2.

• Like 1

Here you go, if you research things like this beforehand and not react as if someone is trying to take advantage of you then it probably would make more sense.  There are maritime and other regulations that need to be followed for everyone's safety and well being.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PlanoDebbie said:

I don't think this is correct.  If you have 2 adults and an infant, you would still need a room that accommodates 3 people.  The infant is still registered as a guest.  Regardless of what you use for the baby to sleep in, you would not be able to book 3 persons in a room for 2.

Think what you will... I have done it many times...my 10 year old has almost 50 cruises in and has been cruising since 4 months old.