New Travel Requirement for EU

captjohn

I don't see a big deal here.  If they do it's more of a revenue deal---most countries do this now when the US requires them to have a visa.  Agree with TC2--sounds logical to me.

Edited by ronrick1943

I think it is called reciprocity and this is done in many countries especially in some parts of S. America.  France at one time required a Visa.  Most of this can be a acquired online today including New Zealand and Australia.  It’s tit for tat.

Although those of us in Europe do not need a visa to visit the USA we do need advance travel authorisation, ESTA. 

When first introduced the ESTA was free but since 2010 we have had to pay for the privilege of visiting the USA.

Using the theory of reciprocity, Europe should make a charge for the new travel authorisation being introduced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Although those of us in Europe do not need a visa to visit the USA we do need advance travel authorisation, ESTA. 

When first introduced the ESTA was free but since 2010 we have had to pay for the privilege of visiting the USA.

Using the theory of reciprocity, Europe should make a charge for the new travel authorisation being introduced.

I agree that reciprocity is warranted.

But for the EU and the US to say this is not a visa, but an authorization to enter, is simply semantics, just like "It's not a tax, just a fee."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/visa

Edited by 1985rz1

When the US introduced the ESTA (for which I pay $14 for 2 years) I said "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck it is a duck" - i.e. a visa is something you have to get to enter a country for which you pay..sometimes you do get it for free.

In fact there are countries in the EU which are not affected by this I think.  Ireland for example.  The UK as things are now.  But tomorrow who knows about them?   The TIAS is a Schengen thing.  And since my country, Switzerland, is in Schengen it affects travel here as well.

I don't like these sorts of things but to be frank - the US started it.  And even back in 2010 when the ESTA was a requirement for us to visit the US I said that we should be reciprocal.   Right now on the ESTA form (you Americans might look at it - it is interesting to see what your government is doing..) we are asked as an "optional" question which "social" sites we belong to or follow - i.e. Facebook, Twitter, CC etc I suppose.  I think this is a huge invasion of privacy and I declined to answer it.  But knowing your government it will become a mandatory question quite soon...   

You will get used to it.  We Europeans have.  And you will complain about it.  We Europeans do.  (about your ESTA!)  But it is life... 

(and I don't get the statement "Europeans don't take Mastercard" -- in fact it is AMEX that is disliked over here and Discover which is not accepted!!)

• Like 2

I think it was meant as a joke substituting the VISA charge card for the visa attached to your passport.

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

(and I don't get the statement "Europeans don't take Mastercard" -- in fact it is AMEX that is disliked over here and Discover which is not accepted!!)

• Like 1

OK NOW I get it!  In fact, many years ago when I ran Study Abroad programmes I overheard a conversation between one of our Registrars and a student which went a bit like this:   Student:  Do I really need a visa to study in France?  Registrar:  Yes.  Student: I have a Mastercard - will that do instead?  Registrar:  NO Sally - a Mastercard will NOT do - go to the French Embassy and get a Visa !!!

• Like 2