Barrel Chairs on Star

Ombud

1 hour ago, TanglewoodTootsie said:

You may be right or if they get enough requests, maybe they will get smart and put the chair back or some kind of replacement for it.  Seems odd that some ships still have them and some not or maybe they are rethinking.  In the meantime, it seems one of the first things you will have to do when boarding is ask for the chair before others do because they can't be storing an unlimited supply on board.  That would be REALLY stupid!

This is the real problem for us.  I can't book a balcony cabin with the HOPES of getting a chair.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Even though Room Steward immediately brought us a barrel chair, he did say the chairs were already offloaded from the ship.

Then he said he had one for us. Didn't make sense but glad we got one.

Perhaps they kept only one onboard in case Princess decides to host a way-it-once-was show-and-tell info session onboard.

18 hours ago, Beave8920 said:

I'll report back in here as well since they removed the other thread:

Just got back from 10 day Mexico on the Grand.  Upon entering my balcony cabin, no barrel chair.  Asked the room steward and he said no problem - had a chair in 30 minutes!.....and they just came out of drydock.

I asked if this was the new process and he said yes - they will be available upon request.

I must say I was surprised as I didn't expect they'd have one - but happy to have the chair.😂

Same experience on the Grand. Got the chair in 30 Minutes

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks that rushing aboard and requesting a chair for your stateroom is ridiculous? The chair should never have been removed in the first place! 

Princess is shooting themselves in the foot with this policy. I am done with them until they rescind it. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

Am I the only one who thinks that rushing aboard and requesting a chair for your stateroom is ridiculous? The chair should never have been removed in the first place! 

Princess is shooting themselves in the foot with this policy. I am done with them until they rescind it. 

I agree.  I guess Princess is hoping that most will make due with one chair.  For me and my back, one chair will not due.  Too bad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LunaSeaRetreat said:

I will be on the Crown in December.  I will make my request for the barrel chair immediately.  My hope is that by that time Princess will reverse its decision and return the chairs.

Cynthia

Only if it is brought to their attention day after day, cruise after cruise by anyone who does not like this policy. Not just in their survey but also by email to their customer service. They can not say it is what their customers wanted.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LunaSeaRetreat said:

I will be on the Crown in December.  I will make my request for the barrel chair immediately.  My hope is that by that time Princess will reverse its decision and return the chairs.

Cynthia

Don't count on it.........

most likely by that time all the chairs will have been removed from the ship entirely.

14 hours ago, Potstech said:

Only if it is brought to their attention day after day, cruise after cruise by anyone who does not like this policy. Not just in their survey but also by email to their customer service. They can not say it is what their customers wanted.

I did write an email awhile back before the other thread was closed.  I was told I would not be getting a chair. So the possibility of getting one gives me hope.  I will not be booking any more long or cool weather cruises with Princess in a balcony cabin. I made that very clear to them.

• Like 2

Submit a special needs form which you can find when you sign into your account and your upcoming cruise   

Here is what I wrote and faxed. 

“ due to a bad back, I can not sit on the bed. I need a chair in the room in addition to the desk chair. “I received a letter in reply saying they keep chairs onboard for this purpose   They told me to ask the room steward and also advised me if I found a chair on board that I liked, to tell passenger services. 

I printed the letter and took it on the Grand and offered it to the room steward who said he didn't need it snd provided me with the barrel chair within a half hour   

So take the letter with you as back up in case room steward sats no. Then you have a great chance of getting a chair. 

• Like 1

I see no reason logical or cost reason to remove the 2nd chair. To me it's all negative. Two in a cabin with only one chair doesn't make common or marketing sense. I also contacted Princess on this subject. I picked up some advertising materials on the Sky and Enchanted Princess on my last cruise. They have artists renderings of the cabins. In the pictures there is only one chair shown in balcony cabins. There is no picture of an interior cabin. Someone at Princess should be dismissed over this decision.

• Like 1

What I feel is the person or people who made this decision may not have the need to sit on a chair.  They may have a disability that requires them to sit on a chair or sofa.  People really don't understand what pain is until they feel it.  Like the expression say," Before you judge, walk a mile in my shoes"

6 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Okay, I remember seeing them in a balcony cabin.  Did they just remove them and not leave a chair at all?

The desk chair is left.  There is only one chair then in the balcony cabins, out and insides.  So, with two people in a cabin, one gets to sit, the other gets  stand. Or the second person can sit on the edge of the bed.  Great place to sit for hours, if you want to sit and read in your cabin!

I think that what they ought to do is that if there are 2 people in the room, then the chair should be in there.  However, with triples and quads, I can see where it takes up too much room.  Have it for those only on request.

But I don't work there, so...

5 hours ago, skynight said:

I see no reason logical or cost reason to remove the 2nd chair.....

Read one post a while back that made total sense. Bottom line, Princess is a business. Their objective is to remove money out of the pax pocket in the most efficient way possible. By making it uncomfortable for a pax to stay in their cabin, they are forced out to public areas where there are numerous ways this can be done. How do you make it uncomfortable to stay in your cabin, make you stand...

6 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Read one post a while back that made total sense. Bottom line, Princess is a business. Their objective is to remove money out of the pax pocket in the most efficient way possible. By making it uncomfortable for a pax to stay in their cabin, they are forced out to public areas where there are numerous ways this can be done. How do you make it uncomfortable to stay in your cabin, make you stand...

Maybe that could be the reason, to get you out of your cabin.  But in my case, it would be getting off the ship.  I go on a cruise to relax, not stand in my cabin.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, geocruiser said:

The desk chair is left.  There is only one chair then in the balcony cabins, out and insides.  So, with two people in a cabin, one gets to sit, the other gets  stand. Or the second person can sit on the edge of the bed.  Great place to sit for hours, if you want to sit and read in your cabin!

Everyone that I spoke to on the Star had 2 balcony chairs .... where did you get the idea that there was only 1 chair between inside & outside? (Asks the person who had too many)

16 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Don't agree. Believe it was HQ's idea to provide a better cabin experience by providing more floor space. I think the idea is mis-guided.