CHECK FLL/MIA FLIGHTS - Max Groundings Impact

Formula280SS

On the MSC Seaside currently, recently off the NCL Bliss.

Turned iPhone on in Mexico (in our plan) and text notice from SW airlines FLIGHT 3/16/19 CANCELLED.

Not too concerned until we spent 2 hours trying to find a decent flight back to the northeast.  There were NONE AVAILABLE at time we could make, terrible connections, and on alternate airlines, GOUGED pricing for the same.

Decided to stay in FLL until Tuesday and fly SW on connection through Tampa to NH.

What a MESS.

Also, booking a hotel in Miami or FLL was a task; a mix of Spring Break supply/demand.  Ended up with $1,500 for 3 nights in FLL @ a decent hotel.

Not really a problem, but most cruisers might not know.

So, we started talking to others; they didn't know.  Some had the same cancellations.

Alerted Yacht Club concierge and ship cruise director; hoping for an announcement to all passengers or paper notice to CHECK YOUR FLIGHTS.

Just an FTI.

TX CC.

Southwest has the largest amount of the grounded 737's among domestic airlines (link)

"Southwest has 34 Boeing 737 MAX 8s, American Airlines has 24, and United has 14 of the larger MAX 9 model. Southwest is the most affected by the grounding, losing about 200,000 seats a week; American is losing about 100,000 and United 53,000."

Edited by hawkman402

25 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

On the MSC Seaside currently, recently off the NCL Bliss.

Turned iPhone on in Mexico (in our plan) and text notice from SW airlines FLIGHT 3/16/19 CANCELLED.

Not too concerned until we spent 2 hours trying to find a decent flight back to the northeast.  There were NONE AVAILABLE at time we could make, terrible connections, and on alternate airlines, GOUGED pricing for the same.

Decided to stay in FLL until Tuesday and fly SW on connection through Tampa to NH.

What a MESS.

Also, booking a hotel in Miami or FLL was a task; a mix of Spring Break supply/demand.  Ended up with $1,500 for 3 nights in FLL @ a decent hotel.

Not really a problem, but most cruisers might not know.

So, we started talking to others; they didn't know.  Some had the same cancellations.

Alerted Yacht Club concierge and ship cruise director; hoping for an announcement to all passengers or paper notice to CHECK YOUR FLIGHTS.

Just an FTI.

TX CC.

Your travel insurance should cover at least some of these expenses.

Our flight tomorrow to MIA was cancelled on American.  They offered up a flight that leaves home on Sunday.  Unfortunately, Sunday is when our cruise leaves Barcelona.  So while we were on hold for hours last night we managed to get flights tonight from DEN to FSD to ATL to MIA.  We've got 6 hours, overnight, in FSD.  We've got a 4 hour pad in MIA before the BCN flight leaves.  Our flight out of Denver has already been delayed an hour.  This is the leg that can be a little late.  The others need to go on time.  We paid through the nose for those flights, but we don't want to miss our vacation.  I'm beyond freaked out! 

Not cruise related, but I am scheduled to fly from EWR to DEN on Southwest on 4/4, and I had to look and make sure I'm NOT flying a 73 Max....I was freaking out, until I saw, thankfully they fly 73-8's on that route!  Wife was wondering what's wrong...I said I was looking to see if I had a chance of dying!  Not to be political on this message board, but the ONE good thing Trump did was ground the airplanes!

• Like 2

Keep an eye on aircraft type. Some flights are subbing in 700s for the max8...   leading to 32 people without a seat...  

If you do a mock booking and a fare shows your good.. if it says sold out click on flight number to see equipment  if 800 good. If not better check in right at 24hrs... have a boarding pass your gtg.. security doc. Prolly not..  

3 hours ago, jenf22 said:

Our flight tomorrow to MIA was cancelled on American.  They offered up a flight that leaves home on Sunday.  Unfortunately, Sunday is when our cruise leaves Barcelona.  So while we were on hold for hours last night we managed to get flights tonight from DEN to FSD to ATL to MIA.  We've got 6 hours, overnight, in FSD.  We've got a 4 hour pad in MIA before the BCN flight leaves.  Our flight out of Denver has already been delayed an hour.  This is the leg that can be a little late.  The others need to go on time.  We paid through the nose for those flights, but we don't want to miss our vacation.  I'm beyond freaked out! 

Drive - you can knock it out in 2 days

my cruise is not until 4/28, but I just checked and my flight to MIA is on a max 8.  Hopefully, there is more than enough time to get it worked out.  My flight was scheduled thru NCL (using the free air promo).  I hope they are staying on top of it

13 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

my cruise is not until 4/28, but I just checked and my flight to MIA is on a max 8.  Hopefully, there is more than enough time to get it worked out.  My flight was scheduled thru NCL (using the free air promo).  I hope they are staying on top of it

I wouldn’t count on Norwegian to stay on top of it. I would be keeping an eye on the flights on AA.com and if it doesn’t change to a different aircraft by April 1st, I would be contacting AA directly to make sure they were reaccomodating  me

51 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I wouldn’t count on Norwegian to stay on top of it. I would be keeping an eye on the flights on AA.com and if it doesn’t change to a different aircraft by April 1st, I would be contacting AA directly to make sure they were reaccomodating  me

Agreed, re: ALL cruise lines.

When apprised of the issues, no one on MSC Seaside added any announcement to the dailies or notes or phone messages.

Yet, in the Yacht Club alone, we met 2 of 4 couples we talked to that had flights cancelled and didn't know until they went and checked.

It looks like heading from FL to the East and Northeast is the toughest with Spring Break midpoint return travel of college students.  The planes were ALREADY FULL,  and even they are experiencing cancelled flights.  They'll likely rent a car and drive.

We did get set up in FLL @ the Harbor Beach Marriott and got a flight in a couple of days.

Hope there are too many SURPRISES at the airports (MIA, FLL, MCO) on Saturday and Sunday with so many cruisers returning.

GLTA

1 hour ago, Formula280SS said:

Agreed, re: ALL cruise lines.

When apprised of the issues, no one on MSC Seaside added any announcement to the dailies or notes or phone messages.

Yet, in the Yacht Club alone, we met 2 of 4 couples we talked to that had flights cancelled and didn't know until they went and checked.

It looks like heading from FL to the East and Northeast is the toughest with Spring Break midpoint return travel of college students.  The planes were ALREADY FULL,  and even they are experiencing cancelled flights.  They'll likely rent a car and drive.

We did get set up in FLL @ the Harbor Beach Marriott and got a flight in a couple of days.

Hope there are too many SURPRISES at the airports (MIA, FLL, MCO) on Saturday and Sunday with so many cruisers returning.

GLTA

Got an alert from AA overnight.  Doesn't affect us though as we are flying Delta and none of that plane type for us.

Keep the Seaside in good shape - we get on 3/23.

4 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

I'm generally not a NCL defender, but they did have a notice up on their website as of last night.

Nice.

Hopefully, most got to see it on all lines.

We'll know tomorrow and Sunday if we start to see how many got 'a real surprise at the FL airports.

20 hours ago, dexddd said:

Got an alert from AA overnight.  Doesn't affect us though as we are flying Delta and none of that plane type for us.

Keep the Seaside in good shape - we get on 3/23.

Ha ha, you are sure ? not going to get bumped by a gate agent at DL - LOL, just kidding, busting chops ... Spring is in the air, temp hit almost 70 degree yesterday here in NYC.  Going to follow the Seaside a bit, planning to do any write-up on CC, let us all know.  

Those  B737Max fixes are weeks away from now, including training for the cockpit crews.  We are booked on B6 (JetBlue) this Spring - gotta love their Airbus birds even better

Edited by mking8288

On 3/14/2019 at 8:49 PM, Son of a son of a ... said:

Drive - you can knock it out in 2 days

This.  especially after paying $1500 for 3 nights in a hotel...take that money and do a 1 way car rental. Plus you would get refunded the money for the flight home that was cancelled. 

Edited by TruckerDave
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 9:46 AM, mking8288 said:

Ha ha, you are sure ? not going to get bumped by a gate agent at DL - LOL, just kidding, busting chops ... Spring is in the air, temp hit almost 70 degree yesterday here in NYC.  Going to follow the Seaside a bit, planning to do any write-up on CC, let us all know.  

Those  B737Max fixes are weeks away from now, including training for the cockpit crews.  We are booked on B6 (JetBlue) this Spring - gotta love their Airbus birds even better

We'll probably post info as we go.  Have either 960 or 2000 mb plan included depending where we look.  Plus we'll have verizon for these repeat ports.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, Formula280SS said:

Nice.

Hopefully, most got to see it on all lines.

We'll know tomorrow and Sunday if we start to see how many got 'a real surprise at the FL airports.

Hope you made it home alright.

Didn't see a post on MSC boards so will ask here.  How were YC bartenders?  Was Lucky there by chance?