What kind of travel insurance do you buy?

Momma Mojito

We have bought  travel insurance from Princess and also through Insure My Trip.  I realize the older you are the more expensive it is to purchase, but we would never travel without it.  We are both healthy older adults but one of our concerns is having to be airlifted off the ship which could be financially devastating without the proper insurance.  The one thing that about Princess insurance is the evacuation is only for $50,000 and it could cost much more to be airlifted off the ship.How do all of you feel about purchasing insurance?

It really depends on where you are traveling and also if you have coverage outside of the US. And if you have pre-existing conditions.

When I traveled with my Mom, I would never buy Princess's insurance. $20K in medical is nothing and the pre-existing clause is pathetic.

Most of the time, I book with Allianz through my agent (policy written for them). It covers pre-existing conditions if purchased at final payment and has far more medical and evacuation coverage compared to Princess's policy.

If I am doing a West Coast coastal or Alaska, I am not too worried about having great coverage and Princess's policy is fine (as I have good coverage through my health insurance). I would never buy Princess's insurance when I am in Europe or far from home.

I also buy MedJet Assist which is a yearly policy that will transport me from a local hospital to my home hospital if I am medically stable to travel.

Edited by Coral

Besides always taking the Princess insurance, I too have a membership on MedJetAssist (NOT insurance, but is a membership program), that, thus far have never had to use, but I renew it annually, through AARP, which gives me a bit of a discount on the membership fee. When doing cruises in Europe, I feel what it offers in terms of medical evacuation back to the US to a hospital of my choosing is worth the cost for the peace of mind, plus even when traveling in the US, if I am covered if I am over 150 miles from home.

The primary reason for taking the Princess insurance is to reimburse me for medical expenses for care while onboard. I have had to use it a few times, and it's proven it's value to me.

Edited by flamomo

Always go to Squaremouth and compare the different plans and options.....Princess insurance is not adequate in my mind....usually buy a policy through Tinleg  which provides very good coverage and med evac..

• Like 1

We also use our credit card for trip insurance and have a yearly medical coverage+evacuation plan with Geo Blue which covers pre existing conditions.

There is NO age listed on the credit card insurance.

MedJet is only evacuation with no medical care coverage at all so not what we need.

Check your own medical plan coverage to see what extras you will need when traveling.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, flamomo said:

Besides always taking the Princess insurance, I too have a membership on MedJetAssist (NOT insurance, but is a membership program), that, thus far have never had to use, but I renew it annually, through AARP, which gives me a bit of a discount on the membership fee. When doing cruises in Europe, I feel what it offers in terms of medical evacuation back to the US to a hospital of my choosing is worth the cost for the peace of mind, plus even when traveling in the US, if I am covered if I am over 150 miles from home.

The primary reason for taking the Princess insurance is to reimburse me for medical expenses for care while onboard. I have had to use it a few times, and it's proven it's value to me.

What worries me is an emergency in Europe (or elsewhere outside of US) that causes me not to be stable to use Medjet to get home. Thinking heart, appendix, fall, etc..... Something more than what care onboard can cover. That is what worries me with Princess's insurance.

We do not buy "travel insurance" and that has been our practice for far more then 100 cruises (some over 60 days long).  Why?  We do purchase an annual travel medical policy (with much higher limits then you get with any travel policy) and generally use a credit card that carries $10,000 of cancellation insurance (at no extra fee).  And yes, we have actually collected on that credit card insurance having received a $10,000 check for a cruise interrupted due to a medical emergency.

We know that many folks would think we are crazy not to buy typical travel/cancellation insurance...and perhaps they are right :).  On the other hand, we are over $100,000 ahead with all the money we have saved by not buying that travel insurance.  Go figure.

Bottom line is that everyone needs to assess their own circumstances and personal "risk tolerance" and act accordingly.  There is no "one rule fits all" answer to the  issue.

Hank

• Like 2

My credit card very recently lowered the amount they will pay -- not sure why I caught it but glad I did as I have always figured it would cover me. It isn't even close to an acceptable amount for the next trip.

Just a heads up to check for changes each time you plan to depend on credit card coverage.

6 hours ago, Momma Mojito said:

We have bought  travel insurance from Princess and also through Insure My Trip.  I realize the older you are the more expensive it is to purchase, but we would never travel without it.  We are both healthy older adults but one of our concerns is having to be airlifted off the ship which could be financially devastating without the proper insurance.  The one thing that about Princess insurance is the evacuation is only for $50,000 and it could cost much more to be airlifted off the ship.How do all of you feel about purchasing insurance?

Our travel agent offers free Basic insurance.Occasionally we will buy additional.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Californian said:

What company is this with, if you don't mind answering.  Thanks!

GeoBlue which is part of the BC/BS network.   The last I heard their product was sold in every State but New York and Washington.   Here is a link to their web site: https://www.geo-blue.com/

Just a word about this plan.  Although they do sell policies for a single trip, we referenced their annual Global Trek plan which is an annual med policy that provides worldwide coverage (outside the USA).  One important caveat is that the policy gives coverage for the first 70 days of any trip taken throughout the policy year.  If you are taking a trip over 70 days (such as a full world cruise) you need to consider other options.  Because we have this policy we actually limit some of our trips to exactly 70 days :).   Since we are very frequent travelers, single trip policies become very expensive.  So we choose to buy the annual medical policy and also utilize the Chase Sapphire card which provides some trip cancelation/interruption protection.  But the credit card coverage is NOT a cancel for any reason kind of policy but rather a policy that covers cancelations (for trips booked on the card) for specified causes such as a medical emergency.

Hank

We buy insurance through Princess when cruising with them.  On other lines and land-based vacations, we buy Travelex insurance because they have primary medical coverage.  I went to the infirmary on the Royal Princess in December and had to file first with my medical insurance, then with the Princess carrier.  I was reimbursed, but it was a PITA.  We are flying our grandchildren to Maine to stay with us for a month this summer; not wanting to worry about where their own Florida HMO would cover them in Maine, I bought Travelex for them.  It was worth it for the convenience of knowing they were covered and filing one claim.  

There are lots of things to consider when buying travel insurance but the cost of being airlifted from the ship is probably not one of them.  Such operations are typically performed by the Coast Guard or its equivalent if you are in another country. That part doesn’t cost you anything.

The evacuation portion of your travel insurance pays for transportation to the nearest facility for treatment and, once you are stable, getting you home.