Packing Cubes?

ReneeFLL

1 hour ago, pa-annie said:

I have never used these things. I do see how they can be a convenience for those who are super organized, but it seems like they are just extra stuff to put into a suitcase that takes up space and adds to the weight. 

I have five of them that I use - they MAYBE add 6 ounces to the weight.  Mine are made of very light nylon type fabric.  They take up ZERO space - in fact they save space.  Worth a try.

Edited by Sascol
  • Like 4

I'm not really sure what I'm missing on them because I actually feel like I can get more into a bag with my style of packing....I  either doing a bundle pack my clothing or fold in the Marie Kondo style.  Many of my cruise clothes are knits and resist wrinkling.  I have several sets and a Biaggi bag that will be hitting eBay when I return home from our Edge cruise.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, Pattyhoo said:

The cubes from dollar tree are not zippered. They fold flat and the top is open. I believe they are 12x12 and 11 inches high

Those are Storage Cubes - not packing cubes.  We use both.  Always pack in eBags packing cubes (which as someone else already pointed out aren't really cubes).

On S class ships we use the Storage Cubes to maximize the usefulness of the over the bed storage.

Mike

On 3/16/2019 at 9:56 AM, mimbecky said:

Dollar Tree?  You are talking about the zippable ones? If so, I need to check this out.

Dollar tree has foldable flat storage cubes (not packing cubes with zippers) in various sizes. We use the ones that are 10 1/2" x 10 1/2"x 11" and four of those fit perfectly in each side of the above the bed cabinets on the S-class ships and make that space very easy to organize and convenient to use. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, islandgirlejfan said:

I'm not really sure what I'm missing on them because I actually feel like I can get more into a bag with my style of packing....I  either doing a bundle pack my clothing or fold in the Marie Kondo style.  Many of my cruise clothes are knits and resist wrinkling.  I have several sets and a Biaggi bag that will be hitting eBay when I return home from our Edge cruise.

I agree with this poster.  I feel I can pack more efficiently without the cubes.  There are gaps between the cubes in the suitcase.  And it seems like whatever I am packing either doesn’t fill a cube completely or is too much for a cube.  I travel with clothing that does not wrinkle so that is not a big selling point for me.  I know I must be missing something as I see how almost everyone else raves about them.

• Like 2

I debated whether I should tell you what I do...but I've been doing this style of packing for at least 20+ years (maybe because I my brain thinks compartments). I have not bought any 'packing cubes' but what I do use are the clear soft plastic cubes that I get when I buy new bed-sheets, They have a zipper and sometimes have 2 sections. The 2 section ones, I use to pack my shoes & socks...they fit in oh so snuggly. I have used the larger ones for my uncrushable 'formal/chic' evening wear after I wrap them up in paper, like the clothing stores do. This way the clothes don't slip slide as I fold them and stay wrinkle free. I take only a few colors so I can mix and match (blues, black, white, beige) pants and blouses and put the matching outfits in a cube. Gym clothes and T-shirts are rolled and put in a separate cube. My suitcase looks sooooo organized. I travel 'carry on' even on a 15 day cruise because in case there is a flight change, I can get on without having to worry about changing checked in baggage. Living in Nova Scotia, needless to say, I have to fly to every destination to embark the ship. 

Earlier this year I did a cruise from Abu Dhabi to Singapore with stops in India, Sri Lanka and Thailand...different cultures, different style of clothing and still able to go 'carry on'.

Some folks reading this will think I am cheap, re-cycling those bags the bed sheets come in, but it has worked for me and still does...so don't throw out those bags, try and re-cycle them, save the $20 you would pay Amazon or Wally World to buy packing cubes and treat yourself to a couple of martinis on the cruiseship instead.

Edited by Mytravellove
  • Like 2

Buy good ones that are of quality.  We have Ebags, Travelon,  and Eddie Bauer.

We recieve some cheap crap from AARP for renewing our member ship.  Very flimsy mesh and zippers that don’t work well and ended up coming away from the cheap mesh fabric.

Them do make packing and unpacking easier and help keep stuff organized 

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Eagle creek cubes are excellent. They help organize your clothing. I keep my shirts folded in the cubes until I wear them. They work well on S class ships with the overhead shelf over the bed. I also use zip lock bags to compress bulky items like sweaters. Hefty makes bags that are durable. Put clothes in, close the zipper leaving an open inch, sit on the bag to push air out, and then zip it closed.  Reuse the bags many times. I also use zip bags to separate clean clothes from dirty when doing land trips. By the end of a trip, the bags should have mostly dirty clothing. Again, close to an inch, sit on the bags, and zip closed. I use zip lock bags for many things when traveling. Put most items in my carryon in clear zip bags. It is excellent when the TSA wants to open your bag.  Got my packing cubes at REI.

Just brought my ebags packing cubes in to work today to show a friend at work who just booked a cruise.  I love mine and use them all the time.  I find I use the medium and slim sizes the most, but do also have large, small and shoe sizes also. Makes it so easy to pack ahead, prevent wrinkles, and unpack in minutes. I only wish I found them many cruises sooner.  

22 hours ago, islandgirlejfan said:

I mentioned previously (post #7) that there are two types of packing cubes those with, or without, compression. IMO, those without compress do not save much (if any) room in the suitcase but can make packing more organized. Those with compression use dual zippers that can be used together to provide considerable compression, which saves room, and also makes packing easier. These types of cubes are usually more expensive (dual zippers and better materials to be able to withstand the additional pressure), but still can be used with only one of the two zippers (no compression). I do not think that they would be available at a Dollar Store because they are obviously much better made than what could be sold for a dollar. Amazon has many, many brands of both types of packing cubes. Just make sure that you buy the type that you need.

I used the compression types during our last cruise and they did help considerably. I stuffed them mainly with underwear (shorts, T-shirts, and socks of all types; mainly heavy gym-type socks). The items that I compressed were either not wrinkled or I did not care if they were wrinkled or not. I did use some non-compression types for lose items such as shoes and other miscellaneous items, very helpful. The compression worked great and did save considerable room, plus made for much easier packing and unpacking. For some reason, my wife only used the non-compression type of cubes.

When returning home I compressed all items that would need cleaning, so I just crammed as much stuff into them as possible within reason.

This trip was my first experience with compression bags, but they will be used for all future trips.

Edited by sptrout

On 3/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, sptrout said:

I mentioned previously (post #7) that there are two types of packing cubes those with, or without, compression. IMO, those without compress do not save much (if any) room in the suitcase but can make packing more organized. Those with compression use dual zippers that can be used together to provide considerable compression, which saves room, and also makes packing easier. These types of cubes are usually more expensive (dual zippers and better materials to be able to withstand the additional pressure), but still can be used with only one of the two zippers (no compression). I do not think that they would be available at a Dollar Store because they are obviously much better made than what could be sold for a dollar. Amazon has many, many brands of both types of packing cubes. Just make sure that you buy the type that you need.

I used the compression types during our last cruise and they did help considerably. I stuffed them mainly with underwear (shorts, T-shirts, and socks of all types; mainly heavy gym-type socks). The items that I compressed were either not wrinkled or I did not care if they were wrinkled or not. I did use some non-compression types for lose items such as shoes and other miscellaneous items, very helpful. The compression worked great and did save considerable room, plus made for much easier packing and unpacking. For some reason, my wife only used the non-compression type of cubes.

When returning home I compressed all items that would need cleaning, so I just crammed as much stuff into them as possible within reason.

This trip was my first experience with compression bags, but they will be used for all future trips.

Right now, I have the bags you push the air out of as we own a Miata and often take it on road trips and we have a wet sack we put on the trunk, depending on what we are doing (casual clothing always goes in those), a set of really cool bags from Flight 001 that have a dirty and clean side, the Biaggi bags which they say make their luggage stable (it does not).  I've returned several different types of Eagle Creek bags to include the pouch and a couple other brands.  I love the concept which is why I've tried lots of brands, but they really have never worked out well.  I think what happens is everyone finds what works for them and speaking for me, when I began my quest of light packing, the bundle method just worked the best.  I've lightened my load further, mainly due to not wearing it on the cruise.   I recently started folding clothing in the style of Marie Kondo and it seems to work very well for packing.  I fill in the spaces where the handle slides into the back of the suitcase with shoes and underclothing and work everything from that point.  I was really disappointed with this Biaggi bag I purchased.  I am 5'8" and end up dragging the bag because it's unstable when you try and roll it.  I went back to my Lipault Carry On.  I've talked to people that don't care for a folding bag either, however it has really served me well.....especially when it's time to store it.  It folds up nicely and sits on a shelf in our walk in closet until we go on the next cruise.  I only wish I could find one like it in a suiter for my hubby.  All in all, we learn what works for us.  🙂

Edited by islandgirlejfan

I love my eagle creek bags. I’ve found them at Marshall’s & TJMaxx for $10. Best thing is keeps TSA fingers out of my lingerie. I don’t even take things out of the bag, I fold in the Kondo style, put it right on the shelf (who knows what has been on those shelves!  Get home & pop the bag right into the wash. 

• 1 month later...

This was such a cool discussion and I found it by searching.  Only a few weeks old, so I thought I would revive it.

Here's my big question, followed by some comments on your really helpful tips:

How do you figure out how many you need to buy to fill a specific suitcase.  Like a standard 25 incher, for instance.  Or a 20" rollaboard.  Do you have to measure it all and see what will fit, do it trial and error by buying a few to start, or what?

On 3/16/2019 at 1:45 PM, JoePDX said:

i also highly recommend the Eagle Creek Pack-it garment folders.   They have great compressing abilities for shirts, pants, etc.  without excessive wrinkling.   I find most wrinkles “go away” just by hanging the items once on the ship.

Joe

These look amazing, thanks, never saw them before.  I was wondering about men's shirts.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

I love them. I'm packing for a trip at the moment and was thinking just today these are the best things I bought. A few reasons. You can pack in stages. No stress about getting the case packed. Just do as and when. Trousers in one cube, shirts in another, shorts in another, underwear and socks in another. If you are staying pre cruise somewhere you can get to what you want so much more easily.

When you arrive there is no pressure to get unpacked in the cabin. Just put the cubes in the cupboards and drawers and unpack at leisure. The clothes are compact and take up less space in the case because you can put different size cubes in the case and use the space.  No gaps. And the clothes, if you fold neatly don't get creased. They are brilliant. 

https://www.amazon.com/G4Free-Packing-Organizers-Accessories-Black-6pcs/dp/B07GZK888S/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2AFLAP59YM1CR&keywords=g4free%2Bpacking%2Bcubes&qid=1552742906&s=gateway&sprefix=g4frre&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

Phil 

Thanks Phil, I think I'm sold.  Don't need them yet, since we're not cruising now until 2021, but then..., for sure!

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

How do you figure out how many you need to buy to fill a specific suitcase.  Like a standard 25 incher, for instance.  Or a 20" rollaboard.  Do you have to measure it all and see what will fit, do it trial and error by buying a few to start, or what?

We have several sets and find the really large ones go pretty much unused.  Other than that ... for a standard 25" suitcase, we usually use 2-3 smaller ones (approx 5"x7") and approx 5-6 medium (approx 9" x 12") sized ones.  I bought extra ones of the medium size as those get used the most.  Every time I would go to pack my stuff, my DH snagged them all ... now, we even have our own medium ones in separate colors.  

• Like 1

Count me among the packing cube converted. Along with packing folders, I can fit everything I need for a month-long trip in a carry-on roller suitcase and a backpack. I pack the clothes I need pre-cruise into one medium cube and put that in the backpack (cross-packing one outfit with Hubby, of course). that way, I don't even open the suitcase until we are aboard (except for the voltage converter and plug adapter, when necessary).

In my experience, the folders really do minimize wrinkles and the cubes help with wrinkles somewhat, though I tend to cruise with very lightweight clothing that doesn't wrinkle much, or is meant to have the crinkled look.

I'm hoping to be able to keep with the one carry-on and a backpack for our upcoming month-long trip. It includes Ireland and Iceland in early June and Italy and the Adriatic in late June and early July. I think I'll be doing lots of layering in the early part of the trip.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, JoePDX said:

i also highly recommend the Eagle Creek Pack-it garment folders.   They have great compressing abilities for shirts, pants, etc.  without excessive wrinkling.   I find most wrinkles “go away” just by hanging the items once on the ship.

Joe

We have used the Pack-It garment folders for several years.  These are great to arrive to your destination and not have wrinkled clothes. They will add a bit of weight, but well worth it. 

On 5/10/2019 at 2:31 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was wondering about men's shirts.

I am a firm believer in packing cubes ........ have been using for 5 years and has simplified my packing tremendously.  It is amazing just how much can get in them and I am an over-packer.  Have many and different sizes, what I use depends on the trip and luggage size we are taking.  For the most part the medium and slims work the best (as well as a packing folder), the large don’t work as well, though did use on our last cruise.  A lot depends on size of luggage and what we are taking.  We have 21” spinners ..... I fill in the space between the handle rails with flat shoes or whatever will fit, then usually 2 - 4 mediums and then slims in sides and empty spaces.  Sometimes find 2 small will work better ..... just have to try it to find what works best and every trip not always the same.   Then place the packing folder on top. The large really don’t work real well in the 21”.  We also have 24” spinners.    The large will work well in those,  I used 2 and then filled in with medium, slims and small.  Also, have found that in the 24” can use medium on end with handle up, rather than laying flat, and can fit quite a few medium this way and makes for really easy unpacking and finding things if not unpacking. Also use under-seater bags for things we want to keep with us and always use a medium size with several outfits in case luggage is lost, or what will need when going in day before.   I generally fold pants, capris, shorts, skirts in the bottom and roll tops, blouses, shirts, and place on top.  For men’s shirts .... polo or golf type roll and place on top of pants and shorts in bottom of cube, dress shirts usually use packing folder. 

I have many different brands of packing cubes, but like the eBags brand the best.  Though have found other brands at Marshall’s and T.J. Maxx that work okay.  Have gotten most of my friends using packing cubes and they all just rave about how great they are.

Edited by QCAZ

9 hours ago, loveheart said:

I'd not really given any thought to packing cubes but after reading about them on here have just bought some from Ebay. Thank you for the information.

You may want to check out the folders as well. Like you, I heard of these things on CC first, now I can't imagine a trip longer than a few days without them.

• Like 1