Harmony Central Park or Oceanview Balcony?

Getting ready to book our next cruise on the Harmony...

we normally have an oceanview balcony on past cruises on Allure and other ships.  We’re seeing great deals on Central Park balconies...which would you prefer, if you had a choice?

We enjoy both the Boardwalk and CP balconies.  We don’t sit out on our balcony bough to justify the extra cost for an Oceanview but it’s nice to have all the natural light and fresh air that they provide.  Also with our balcony discount many times the BW and CP balconies are just a few $ more than insides.

2 hours ago, soozaay said:Getting ready to book our next cruise on the Harmony...

we normally have an oceanview balcony on past cruises on Allure and other ships.  We’re seeing great deals on Central Park balconies...which would you prefer, if you had a choice?

For the difference in cost we think that the Central Park balconies compared to the ocean views are extremely good value and have always enjoyed having this type of stateroom with no issues whatsoever and find them extremely peaceful and relaxing plus enjoy sitting on the balcony in the evening listening to the excellent light music from below.

We can honestly think of no reason as to why we wouldn’t book one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soozaay said:

Oceanview, hands down.

When on a cruise ship, I like to look at the ocean, not a courtyard that I can see in any major city.

• Like 2

I have formed my opinion over nine cruises on Oasis Class ships.  Only two were on Ocean View balconies, in connecting cabins that my DD & DSIL chose.  I have sailed seven times with my other daughter, and I am a true fan of the Central Park balconies.  During the day there is daylight on the CP balcony but less direct sun — which can be hot on an Ocean View.   I also enjoy the money I save, along with the perks of one free bottle of wine, and a complimentary lunch at our choice of several upcharge restaurants.

My disabled SIL spent hours in his wheelchair on their ocean balcony, and he loved it.  It may seem counterintuitive on a cruise, but I get bored looking at the ocean hour after hour — unless I am sitting on a beach.  Despite what a previous poster predicted, we never see “thousands” of people in Central Park, and we enjoy watching the couples and families wandering through.  We think the best views are from decks 10 & 11.  There are so many options on these big ships that we spend only an hour or two each day on our balcony anyway.

Different strokes for different folks, but I suggest trying Central Park for yourself.   (We haven’t tried a Boardwalk Balcony because of the noise level, and the crowds we often see when we venture to that part of the ship.). 

Edited by Grandma Petania
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was on Harmony this past Nov. and had a Central Park Cabin, while it is different than a regular ocean balcony I really like the location of the cabin, especially enjoyed the nightly music and the free bottle of wine. 

I prefer an ocean view and being able to see as the ship pulls into ports, however on our last cruse over Easter week (Oasis), the Central Park balconies were considerably cheaper than ocean view.  We needed two cabins so we decided to give Central Park a try.  I loved the peaceful setting and music at night (and agree with a previous poster that you don't see a thousand other cruisers).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soozaay said:

Oceanview, because there are precious few views of the ocean on Oasis class ships.

• Like 3

Given the two choices, I'd have to choose an ocean view balcony.  I think Central Park is beautiful and at night with the lights, it is even more so.  My reason for choosing the ocean view balcony is, to me, Central Park in summer, is very hot and humid and not enjoyable to sit outside.

We sail in June or July and the humidity is awful.  There is no air circulation and the air is just heavy.  When we sail in January, it is a bit better, but still not  great.  

Generally ocean view over Central Park unless the price difference is significant. .  We just sailed a CP balcony on Symphony and loved it.    If you cruise often and know the next one will be in an OV balcony take  the CP for a change and to save $$.( that is what we did).     If cruises are  not often, take the  ocean view balcony. 

BTW - The wine is nothing to write home about.  It was St Martin on our cruise.  We  gave it  away.  The  complementary lunch in Jamie's (on a sea day only - and not embarkation day)  was a nice treat.

M

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

It depends.

Would you prefer to look at the ocean or at a thousand other passengers?

Look at thousands of other passengers?

Really.

Balcony with a view of the ocean probably cannot be beaten but for the prices that are often on offer a Central Park stateroom is superb value and so very peaceful.

I would prefer OV balcony, HOWEVER if it meant the difference between taking a cruise or not, I would do CP too!  This question is really a personal choice....I love to look at the ocean and sit out on my balcony in the morning and evening.  I think the one thing that makes me hesitant on the CP balcony is the fact that I want to sit out on my balcony and not have to look across to others perhaps sitting on theirs.  CP is beautiful, but not sure how much u can appreciate it, due to actually being above it??  I never stayed in a CP balcony, only visually saw them on the HOTS.

20 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

I would prefer OV balcony, HOWEVER if it meant the difference between taking a cruise or not, I would do CP too!  This question is really a personal choice....I love to look at the ocean and sit out on my balcony in the morning and evening.  I think the one thing that makes me hesitant on the CP balcony is the fact that I want to sit out on my balcony and not have to look across to others perhaps sitting on theirs.  CP is beautiful, but not sure how much u can appreciate it, due to actually being above it??  I never stayed in a CP balcony, only visually saw them on the HOTS.

When we used the balcony in the morning were never saw  more than a handful of others outside. When we went to the cabin during the day, we rarely if ever saw anyone outside. Prior to dinner, maybe one or two balconies were used.  Late in the evening, we  rarely saw anyone use their balcony. The cabin across from us used the balcony a bit. In the evenings, you could see in the cabins  across if it was dark outside and the cabin lights were on.  

M

I am a little different.  I...AM...SICK... OF...LOOKING....AT...THE.....OCEAN. Last year we had a rear facing Loft Suite..  I have never used my balcony so much......multiple times a day.  Again, I'm different....I hate the beach.

Ocean view, mainly to sit on the balcony for the fresh sea air . I live on the water,  and enjoy watching the ocean from my terrace.   To stay in a Central Park cabin reminds me of staying in a NY hotel. So, as long as I'm on the Ocean, will enjoy the Ocean view. 

• Like 1

I find on the Mega Ships that it is easy to be disconnected from the ocean.  When once on Harmony I had a boardwalk balcony, I completely forgot I was on a cruise ship until I noticed a wave out a random window when taking a walk.  It was like oh yeah I am on a ship.  ooops!  Silly me.🤣

15 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Oceanview, hands down.

When on a cruise ship, I like to look at the ocean, not a courtyard that I can see in any major city.

But some of us look at the ocean every single day. 😉

• Like 1