New Carnival Beverage Package?

jbethel11

6 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I disagree, there are ways to petition. As stated in post 123. 

Jbethel, I understand what you are saying, but for this type of thing, a petition is not going to work. Yes, there are ways to do it, but petitions are very confrontational in nature. Carnival is a company offering a service, not a goverment agency with an unfair practice.

Carnival doesn't HAVE to offer a mid-level beverage package. If you come at them with guns blazing demanding that they do so, I can pretty much guarantee that they are going to laugh while they throw it in the shred bin and you will never even hear back from them.

I'm telling you, a well thought out presentation is the better way to go. You could maybe include some of the positive feedback about your idea from this thread. I'm not trying to trash your idea, just think about a different way to approach getting it accomplished. 

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Put together a PowerPoint and send it to me.

I would also like to see what you come up with, and I would be willing to help you gather information and do research.

• Like 1

The problem from my perspective is the OP and people who agree with him are only looking at it from how it benefits them. The only way a beverage program like he suggested gets implemented is if it benefits Carnival financially. I guarantee accountants who work for Carnival already know the answer, which others can logically conclude a beverage program like the OP suggested would not benefit Carnival since they don’t have one. 

For those who suggest he put together a PowerPoint presentation, there is no way he can do this effectively without having access to information that is not available to the general public. At a minimum he would need to know Carnival’s cost for each drink, how much profit each drink generates, how many of each drink is sold every day across Carnival’s fleet, etc. You would also need to do market research to determine how many passengers would likely purchase this program at various price points. Would an increase in the purchase of certain beverage type(s) lead to a lower price point with supplier(s) based on Carnival buying more of a certain product(s)? These are just a few of the numerous issues that go into making a decision like this. 

I realize the OP is just a kid, which is why he doesn’t understand that a simple idea in his mind is actually a quite complicated issue with a plethora of variables that need to be addressed before Carnival knows if this program benefits them financially. Like I mentioned already, I think it is safe to conclude Carnival already knows the answer. 

• Like 2

Drinks are a great way for businesses to make money.  Any time a business can get people to spend money on drinks, they will make large profits because the cost of making those drinks is very low.  RCL has a refreshment package that includes soda, bottled water, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juices, a souvenir cup, and non-alcoholic cocktails. They would not provide this option if they could not make a profit.

It's possible that Carnival is satisfied with the number of passengers who choose their full drink packages and feel that providing that third tier would take away from the full drink package numbers.  I don't think it would.  I think a third tier is a great idea to lure people who aren't interested in alcoholic drinks to purchase a package.

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The problem from my perspective is the OP and people who agree with him are only looking at it from how it benefits them. The only way a beverage program like he suggested gets implemented is if it benefits Carnival financially. I guarantee accountants who work for Carnival already know the answer, which others can logically conclude a beverage program like the OP suggested would not benefit Carnival since they don’t have one. 

For those who suggest he put together a PowerPoint presentation, there is no way he can do this effectively without having access to information that is not available to the general public. At a minimum he would need to know Carnival’s cost for each drink, how much profit each drink generates, how many of each drink is sold every day across Carnival’s fleet, etc. You would also need to do market research to determine how many passengers would likely purchase this program at various price points. Would an increase in the purchase of certain beverage type(s) lead to a lower price point with supplier(s) based on Carnival buying more of a certain product(s)? These are just a few of the numerous issues that go into making a decision like this. 

I realize the OP is just a kid, which is why he doesn’t understand that a simple idea in his mind is actually a quite complicated issue with a plethora of variables that need to be addressed before Carnival knows if this program benefits them financially. Like I mentioned already, I think it is safe to conclude Carnival already knows the answer. 

And that is the problem. It is not a "simple thought" in my mind. It is a suggestion to Carnival that because of certain people, it gets all skewed and taken to opinion-land. People assume that since I am a "kid" that my requests will quickly be shut down. Think of all of the times you did things that would benefit you, and not benefit Carnival. Like the time you broke even with Cheers. Carnival does not have any gain, nor any loss from that. I merely asked for a way to petition NOT if it was going to work or not. Once again, another problem with forums.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Actually, even if a passenger drinks 15 drinks a day Carnival still has a gain because it does not cost Carnival the retail price of a drink.  That drink package is a huge money maker for Carnival.

Then why wouldn't "Refresh" be?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:38 AM, jbethel11 said:

I would price this package between $25-30pp/day! What do y'all think?

Maybe you forgot, but you made this comment and asked this question in your original post. This is why you have gotten a lot of responses with people providing their opinion in this thread. 

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe you forgot, but you made this comment and asked this question in your original post. This is why you have gotten a lot of responses with people providing their opinion in this thread. 

"What do y'all think" referred to the pricing of the package. Not opinions on the petition. I asked how to petition. 

Edited by jbethel11
Typos

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Actually, even if a passenger drinks 15 drinks a day Carnival still has a gain because it does not cost Carnival the retail price of a drink.  That drink package is a huge money maker for Carnival.

I was going to respond with a similar comment. Carnival is still going to make money even if every passenger with Cheers drank 15 drinks every day, which never comes close to happening. Carnival likes to say the 15 drink limit is all about responsible drinking, but most people realize the limit is designed to maximize profits. 

• Like 1

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was going to respond with a similar comment. Carnival is still going to make money even if every passenger with Cheers drank 15 drinks every day, which never comes close to happening. Carnival likes to say the 15 drink limit is all about responsible drinking, but most people realize the limit is designed to maximize profits. 

So with that, you are saying that Carnival would profit off of "Refresh".

Just now, emoorehead said:

Message boards, by nature, are a breeding ground for opinions whether you ask for them or not. Perhaps asking "What does everyone think of a price point of $25 pppd?" Might have yielded better results.

True, I do admit that there was some sort of ambiguity in that question. 

Edited by jbethel11

1 minute ago, jbethel11 said:

True, I do admit that there was some sort of ambiguity in that question. 

I think you have a great idea. But as I said before, I don't think a petition is the best way to go about it.

Do some research. You are clearly a very persistent person. That can pay off.

5 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

There is so much more involved than looking at a "new" bundle, and determining its success by how profitable it could be. Businesses study this kind of stuff to death, because there are always so many variables at play. I have been a part of corporate tests. No matter how good of an idea something sounds, you'd be surprised at the domino effect.

Certain sales cannibalize others. Certain offerings can detract from the client experience. For one, we know that there's a good amount of people who buy Cheers and end up paying more than the price of a la carte drinks. They do this for multiple psychological reasons. This is an enormous win for the cruise line. What if people decide to downgrade their package because this new one sounds "good enough?" What if Carnival doesn't want to create more buzz to specialty coffee and milkshakes, therefore adding more time-consuming labor, and clogging up the lines, scaring away a la carte purchases? What if this package has the most amount of sharing?

You can't just say "it's $200 for the week and drinks don't cost that much to make. Therefore, it's a no-brainer."

• Like 1

I asked this question to John Heald about 6 months ago and his response was:

I think this would be very popular and I have mentioned this to the beards in the past. I will let you know as soon as I have any news. cheers mate

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

The question is not whether they would make money but rather which way would they make more money.  

Edited by jimbo5544

6 minutes ago, MechE31 said:

I asked this question to John Heald about 6 months ago and his response was:

I think this would be very popular and I have mentioned this to the beards in the past. I will let you know as soon as I have any news. cheers mate

So I am not the only one lol ...

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

The question is not whether they would make money but rather which way would they make more money.  

Well, if they want to satisfy the clientele, then they would have a package called "Refresh". If not, then they would charge us a normal amount for it. 

If this type of mid level package is good enough for both Royal and Celebrity then it should be good enough for Carnival to make a profit on.  It would not cannibalize the Cheers program because  I don't think anybody is purchasing Cheers for all of the non alcoholic inclusions.

By not offering this type of package as an option, Carnival is implying that someone that cruises Royal or Celebrity is different than someone who cruises Carnival.

If Carnival was really going to be bold, they could have an option that would allow (force) the teetotaler in a relationship to purchase the mid level package in conjunction with their SO that purchased Cheers. But I certainly will not hold my breath for it.