New Carnival Beverage Package?

jbethel11

On 3/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I will try again, if it is very profitable they would not want to have a program where it would cut down on the profits.   

The package itself on RCI is very popular. The biggest draw is the specialty coffee for me, and we use the fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast. First.. I have never paid $30 a day. Royal has sales (not really sales, its the price they want - but call it a sale from a higher price) that put the package at about $20 per day give or take based on their "sale." Also included are things like red bull, (gross) Powerade & Vitamin water in the bottle, sodas, bottle water and juices.

Not sure how popular specialty coffee is on CCL, as anytime we pass by there is no line, while there is always customers on RCI at the cafe. On the Horizon, I had one specialty coffee all week that I paid for, and the one free on on the last night after 5pm. (I'd rather have coffee than alcohol) However, had there been a package that was similar, I would have bought it. So they made basically nothing on me all cruise when it comes to drinks, with the exception of our pre-purchased 5 cases of water... which is what we drank instead of anything else.

Is it profitable? Well common sense tells me that RCI must be making more money on the package minus costs, than before they offered it... or they wouldn't continue to offer it. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 9:26 PM, Purvis1231 said:

There is a big difference in price between the Bubbles program and the proposed $25 non-alcoholic drinks package. I do not mind paying $8.50 a day for a few sodas (mostly diet) and juice but I and I think most people would not drinks more than one high calorie milkshakes, smoothies, or special coffees. People might if they could share with their family. I suspect most of those on Royal Caribbean share). A few year ago on Holland American they sold a $50 drink card for $25 per cruise that could be used for any type drink. I would like that type program. 

If you buy a package on royal , even refresh, the adults have to get it. And you must not have seen teens drink virgin Pina coladas or daiquiris all day, its not just shakes.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:33 PM, Joebucks said:

I'm not sure who these typical people are. Don't forget, coffee is already included with the fare. 

I have been cruising a very long time. I drink a cup of coffee a day at home. On cruises I would go cold turkey bc that free coffee is vile and undrinkable. I pay for coffee and so do many others and 2 a day is not a very high number.

On 3/25/2019 at 1:58 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Celebrity has two different non alcoholic packages for adults.  One is priced at 18.00 per day (classic) and consists of soda, juice, premium coffees and teas and basic bottled water.  The other is priced at 22.00 per day (premium) and consists of the classic package plus premium water (Evian and San Pellegrino), smoothies, energy drinks, vitamin water, bottled iced tea and coconut water.  The 22.00 package does not include milkshakes. 

The 30.00 price proposed would thus seem a little high since Celebrity has a non alcoholic package without the milkshakes for 22.00.  Since Celebrity and Royal have this as an option, why shouldn't Carnival?

And the more apt comparison, Princess, their own line has one. It is popular and I am assuming profitable.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 8:20 AM, Mikew0805 said:

The package itself on RCI is very popular. The biggest draw is the specialty coffee for me, and we use the fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast. First.. I have never paid $30 a day. Royal has sales (not really sales, its the price they want - but call it a sale from a higher price) that put the package at about $20 per day give or take based on their "sale." Also included are things like red bull, (gross) Powerade & Vitamin water in the bottle, sodas, bottle water and juices.

Not sure how popular specialty coffee is on CCL, as anytime we pass by there is no line, while there is always customers on RCI at the cafe. On the Horizon, I had one specialty coffee all week that I paid for, and the one free on on the last night after 5pm. (I'd rather have coffee than alcohol) However, had there been a package that was similar, I would have bought it. So they made basically nothing on me all cruise when it comes to drinks, with the exception of our pre-purchased 5 cases of water... which is what we drank instead of anything else.

Is it profitable? Well common sense tells me that RCI must be making more money on the package minus costs, than before they offered it... or they wouldn't continue to offer it. 

I don’t know what time you’re going by the coffee shop.  I get a speciality coffee every morning and I would say it’s very rare that I don’t have to wait in a line. I would say there’s usually 3-5 people in front of me. But I’ve been in 10-15 person deep lines. Depends on the ship for the most part. On Dream-Vista Class they’ve had 2-3 people working the coffee shop in the morning and the lines move fast. I’ve been on ships with one person working and it gets backed up. Cruise before last I had an early excursion and opted to get my coffee on the atrium because the coffee bar line was too long.

Edited by Saint Greg

On 3/24/2019 at 9:26 PM, Purvis1231 said:

There is a big difference in price between the Bubbles program and the proposed $25 non-alcoholic drinks package. I do not mind paying $8.50 a day for a few sodas (mostly diet) and juice but I and I think most people would not drinks more than one high calorie milkshakes, smoothies, or special coffees. People might if they could share with their family. I suspect most of those on Royal Caribbean share). A few year ago on Holland American they sold a $50 drink card for $25 per cruise that could be used for any type drink. I would like that type program. 

Most on RCI share? I'd say no more on RCI than on CCL, and I personally have never seen it on either. 

The point of sharing is that it invalidates the profit discussion (not that we know what that is anyway).  It is not which cruiseline share more, it happens on both and regularly.  Having programs like this on ships where drinking happens a lot and at times is one of the most expensive components of a vacation (for some) is to be assumed.  The other thing worth mentioning is that this causes cruisers to try and ensure “they get their monies worth” out of the programs....

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I did not mean anything negative about RCI cruisers. I was talking more about human nature. 

Oh I knew you didn't mean it that way. I was just saying that I had never seen it on either, even though if you read the RCI boards enough, you would think that everyone not on cruise critic was sharing drink packages, removing tips, and smoking in the main dining room. LOL

I am afraid on Carnival a lot of folks remove their tips. On my last cruise on the Dream there was rarely a line at customer service until the tips were posted- then the line wrapped around and around. But that is really another tread. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

25 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I am afraid on Carnival a lot of folks remove their tips. On my last cruise on the Dream there was rarely a line at customer service until the tips were posted- then the line wrapped around and around. But that is really another tread. 

The one time I actually heard it (removing tips) happening was on CCL as well. (I'm sure the frequency is the same on both lines, I just don't go to guest services much anymore) You are right... save it for another thread. I am sure one will be along any day now. 😜

Edited by Mikew0805

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the OP does not understand that drink packages were introduced to benefit the cruise line, not the passengers.  

21 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I think this could be a real money-maker for Carnival. I never buy the milkshakes, virgin drinks, or specialty coffees. But if I could buy a ard as the OP described, I am fairly sure that I would.

I rest my case. 

35 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think it is safe to assume you have little to no experience working in the business world, where stockholders and board members are ultimately only concerned with the P&L sheet. 

I don't, but I will don't you worry 😄

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, Saint Greg said:

You don’t have to drink $61/day alcohol. It’s $52...I don’t know why people think they need to drink the gratuity to get their moneys worth. I pay with the 10% off gift cards so for me that would be more like $47. But I’ll play along with $52 since most people are blue or red cards and don’t do that. Domestic beers are $6.25. I’d have to drink 8.3 beers to get to $52. But really less than that because I’d have a specialty coffee and 3-5 waters. I think that’s another $7-10 on NA beverages.

Hi Saint Greg! Can you elaborate on the 10% off gift cards? Are these just the normal Carnival gift cards that you use to purchase Cheers? I cruise often but wasn't aware of this, any info you can give is much appreciated! TIA!

7 minutes ago, Nuttycruisegirl said:

Hi Saint Greg! Can you elaborate on the 10% off gift cards? Are these just the normal Carnival gift cards that you use to purchase Cheers? I cruise often but wasn't aware of this, any info you can give is much appreciated! TIA!

They are carnival gift cards that you get through AARP's rewards program. You earn points through the program by doing quizzes and signing up for email newsletters and then cash the points in for 10% discounts on the gift cards. So you can buy $100 gift card for $90, or $500 worth of cards for $450. Then you use the gift cards to pay for your beverage package. 

There are a couple of threads that give the details. Just search for AARP in the search bar at the top and you should be able to find them.

54 minutes ago, Nuttycruisegirl said:

AARP rewards for good or Allstate Drivewise. Allstate drivewise is the easiest to build up points on. I bought a $500 card last night. It cost me $450 and 5,000 points.

Edited by Saint Greg

On 3/24/2019 at 8:52 AM, Joebucks said:

Not that every corporation is 100% aligned to what the market wants, but I feel this would already exist if there was that high of a demand. Are there that many people buying non-alcoholic, non-soda drinks per day that they would spend $25-$30 per day? Just like Cheers, it would have to be for everyone in the cabin too.

I would never drink that much in soda, water, coffee per day to warrant that cost. We never even buy the Cheers package, because we don’t come near drinking that much. I had $350 OBC going into my last cruise. Besides the beers and cocktails bought all week, plus my daily trips to the coffee bar, I went to the spa for a mani/pedi. Althought I paid for that (Spa)ahead of time, I decided on a different treatment, so I paid about $50 more. End of cruise, we left with only a $43 bill. No way would we ever get our moneys worth buying any beverage package. Most of the time, I just filled my tervis cup with ice and ice tea, free in the buffet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nuttycruisegirl said:

Besides what was already explained, in case you did not realize, the 10% discounted cards can be used for everything cost related to your cruise.  From initial deposit, balance payment and sail & sign charges.  So if your cruise is about 3000, you just saved 300.00 by using the cards.

5 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Going back to the subject matter, is there any way to petition?

If you want to petition, i would imagine that you would go about it the way you would any other petition. Write up your proposal and then start pounding the pavement for signatures.

The thing of it is, petitioning isn't the way to go about it with a company that is controlled by stockholders. This isn't a civil rights issue or anything like that.

If you are truly interested in getting something like this going, start off by doing some research.

-Which other lines are doing something similar?

-What do their packages include and what is their price point?

-What options would you like to see included if Carnival were to offer such a package?

-What price point should Carnival offer? 

After you look into all that (and possibly a few more that I didn't think of) come up with a power point and submit it to John Heald. I think you might get farther taking it to him than sending it to an email at customer service or something, but I could be wrong about that.

Save all of your work. I know you are still in school, so if you have not taken an economics class yet you could possibly use this as a project to turn in for credit. Then if it doesn't get past the beards at Carnival, at least you get a good grade out of it.

5 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Going back to the subject matter, is there any way to petition?

Dear jbethel11,

If you own shares of Carnival CCL :NYSE LSE CUK : NYSE you have a Legal Voice and as well a nice Shareholder Benefit too.On each Carnival line eh..

A child firm Princess,  has a Coffee Card again now. We had them before  too. What a wonde4rful saving for us Cruisers and a wonderful Profit item creating another revenue stram for th Line too. Yes Mutual Benefit

7 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I would never drink that much in soda, water, coffee per day to warrant that cost. We never even buy the Cheers package, because we don’t come near drinking that much. I had $350 OBC going into my last cruise. Besides the beers and cocktails bought all week, plus my daily trips to the coffee bar, I went to the spa for a mani/pedi. Althought I paid for that (Spa)ahead of time, I decided on a different treatment, so I paid about $50 more. End of cruise, we left with only a $43 bill. No way would we ever get our moneys worth buying any beverage package. Most of the time, I just filled my tervis cup with ice and ice tea, free in the buffet.

The thing is, there are plenty of people who buy Cheers that admit they don't drink their money's worth, but buy it anyway for convenience and to not have to worry about a drink bill at the end. So it's not unheard of for people to buy a drink package knowing they won't drink the dollar value of it. For the other lines that have this type of non-alcoholic package, I'd imagine there are those who treat it similarly.

• Like 1