New to cruising, painful learning curve.

SG103

Our first cruise was March 10-17 which I booked directly with cruise line. Now I just finished booking a back to back in December 2019 on Princess Sky with a internet travel agent, it was a nightmare. I will never use a travel agent again. I thought I could leave everything to them, not worry about flights, rooms and they would be able to give me advice. But I ended up with a Stateroom at the very back of the ship and a mess with the travel arrangements, and very time consuming, I spent three days calling and trying to fix things up and still unhappy with the deal. I just gave up, I was surprised.

2 minutes ago, SG103 said:

Our first cruise was March 10-17 which I booked directly with cruise line. Now I just finished booking a back to back in December 2019 on Princess Sky with a internet travel agent, it was a nightmare. I will never use a travel agent again. I thought I could leave everything to them, not worry about flights, rooms and they would be able to give me advice. But I ended up with a Stateroom at the very back of the ship and a mess with the travel arrangements, and very time consuming, I spent three days calling and trying to fix things up and still unhappy with the deal. I just gave up, I was surprised.

Welcome to Cruise Critic........

Sorry you had to go through this.

Good TA's are few and far between. 

I think I would have canceled and booked myself again through Princess until you can find a good TA.

We have been lucky with ours for more than 10 years.

Unfortunately we cannot discuss them here on CC.

• Haha 1

Not all travel agents are the same.  Don't give up hope of finding a good TA.

It is too bad that we are not allowed to make recommendations on this site, but when you are on a cruise and meet friendly people ask them for recommendations.

9 minutes ago, SG103 said:

hopefully you have a refundable deposit and no cancellation fees from the TA

find out and come back with the results ...

SG103: you mentioned your cabin is “at the very back of the ship”. Is this an aft-facing balcony? If so, that’s very desirable. If you post a bit more about the location (not necessarily the exact cabin number but deck plus which side of ship), folks could give you more information that may be encouraging.

If your back-to-back (B2B) happens to be over Christmas and/or New Years, there are a couple of Roll Calls (RC) on which you might want to participate. I started one for the New Years 7-day and you are welcome to join it if you are onboard that week: it’s still too early to talk specifics of RC activities, but hopefully we’ll have several that week!

Very sorry for your bad experience. I have always use a TA and have never had a problem. However, I do not use an online TA. I use one that has an office, that I can talk to face to face. It is also good to establish a relationship with one, who knows what you like and don't like. Good luck with your future bookings.

Internet travel agent?  Next time try using one that advertises here on Cruise Critic.  Some better than others but all pretty good at cruising.  Tabs at the top of the site have research  and find a cruise options - a good place to start looking.

Took many years to find a good one.  However, my experience is if you are booking inside or outside categories on inexpensive cruises it is easier to book direct, TAs have a hard time offering many perks on the lower categories.

good luck.

• Like 1

Most people here are happy to help.  Find a good travel agent by word-of-mouth (not here though).  Many big box TAs don't know anything about cruising and have never even been on a cruise.  Finding an experienced agent can make all the difference.  Don't let one bad experience ruin cruising for you.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

Not all travel agents are the same.  Don't give up hope of finding a good TA.

It is too bad that we are not allowed to make recommendations on this site, but when you are on a cruise and meet friendly people ask them for recommendations.

Please don't give up on finding a good TA!

Asking people you meet on a cruise for their recommendations is an excellent suggestion.  :classic_wink:  

I always book directly with the cruise line and then transfer the booking within the 30 days you're alloted to a big box TA.  I am not willing to give up the huge on board credits this particular Big Box company gives me but they will do absolutly nothing for you. They don't pass along upsells or watch out for price reductions, you need to monitor the cruise line yourself. 

• Like 1

I book cruises with a travel agent I have used for dozens of cruises.  But I always book my airfare directly with the airline so I get exactly the type of flight and the seats we want.  I have been told that airlines will not pay commissions to travel agents.   I also book my pre-cruise hotel directly with the hotel's website.  I have found that the hotel rate at my favorite hotel is higher if the reservation is made by a travel agent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SG103 said:

We use a T.A. all the time. But, you have to know what you want. You basically have to do the pre-work and follow up. You have to ask for what you want and know what you are getting before you place a deposit.

I book cruises with a travel agent I have used for dozens of cruises.  But I always book my airfare directly with the airline so I get exactly the type of flight and the seats we want.  I have been told that airlines will not pay commissions to travel agents.   I also book my pre-cruise hotel directly with the hotel's website.  I have found that the hotel rate at my favorite hotel is higher if the reservation is made by a travel agent.

The same. I book the cruise with an agent I have developed a relationship with for years. First though I have her put a hold on the cabin and check the deck plans before putting down a deposit. The airfare I book direct or with Chase Ultimate Rewards or AMEX Membership Rewards (because I have rewards points). Hotels I always book on the hotel web site.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Princess charges PP for the hotel.

I didn't know this and she never mentioned it either. If I would have known that I would not have been so upset, I thought she was double billing me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

again ... does the TA charge cancellation fees with them ?

No mention of cancellation fees on receipt behond 90 days if I remember right, I'm home now and don't have the receipt in front of me. I tried to fix things as best I could before trying to cancel as I didn't want to upset her too much, she has my credit card number.

8 minutes ago, SG103 said:

No mention of cancellation fees on receipt behond 90 days if I remember right, I'm home now and don't have the receipt in front of me. I tried to fix things as best I could before trying to cancel as I didn't want to upset her too much, she has my credit card number.

all the more reason to cancel immediately with her .....  bite the bullet and contact your credit card company also

8 minutes ago, SG103 said:

As long as its not a debit card you are pretty well protected for bogus charges.

As I’ve never done this, I’m not sure if I’m correct on this: can’t a booking made with a TA be transferred to Princess? I think they require a form to be completed and it has to be done within a certain number of days from initial booking. 

Hopefully someone who knows if thIs is possible will chime in. And it’s possible that a call to Princess to inquire about the possibility of changing the booking may garner an answer.

3 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

As I’ve never done this, I’m not sure if I’m correct on this: can’t a booking made with a TA be transferred to Princess? I think they require a form to be completed and it has to be done within a certain number of days from initial booking. 

Hopefully someone who knows if thIs is possible will chime in. And it’s possible that a call to Princess to inquire about the possibility of changing the booking may garner an answer.

Yes it can and I have done it.  I called Princess to see if I could move a booking back to Princess.  They asked for a letter/email stating the cruise I wanted to move back, name of the TA and they would do it.  The TA did not know until he saw the reservation disappear from his account and he sent me a nasty email which further proved I was right in doing it.  I had booked a number of cruises from him over several years and his service was minimal at best and advice was often wrong.  Good riddance. 

We have had two local TA (one of which I moved the reservation back to Princess) and an internet one.  The first local TA put us on a ship that was a complete mismatch to us so I just never called them back.  We used two internet TA who gave us a small amount of OBC but service was severely lacking.  So now for the last many years, We book through Princess and have received a lot better attention with our personal representative.  So yes I am sour on TA.  I am glad to hear some have a good experience.   

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I always book directly with the cruise line and then transfer the booking within the 30 days you're alloted to a big box TA.  I am not willing to give up the huge on board credits this particular Big Box company gives me but they will do absolutly nothing for you. They don't pass along upsells or watch out for price reductions, you need to monitor the cruise line yourself. 

This is what I always do. 

24 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

Yes, Here is the form.  Check the Agency to Direct box and submit to the address linked at top of form.  Reservation-Transfer-Request-Form-1.pdf

Edited by masterty

I didn't know this and she never mentioned it either. If I would have known that I would not have been so upset, I thought she was double billing me.

There is no reason to book hotels thru the cruise line except maybe if your cruise is to some exotic place. Definitely not a good TA if they didn’t mention that to you about being charged double. I read that Princess charged double in another thread and I was astounded to read that.

Did you buy trip insurance?  Most trip insurance have cancel for any reason. So maybe you can go that route. 

For most cruise insurance cancel for any reason is an add on for additional cost. I always get insurance and have never bought cancel for any reason.