Recovering from pneumonia pre-cruise

jasm8449

I have a cruise coming up and am recovering from Pneumonia. I know there are no health forms to fill out anymore. I cannot remember what the question is that the check-in people ask regarding respiratory issues and how many days prior to the cruise you have had symptoms.  Does anyone know?

FYI I am respecting my health and the health of others.  I have no intention of giving false information and I have travel cancellation insurance. 

23 minutes ago, jasm8449 said:

I have a cruise coming up and am recovering from Pneumonia. I know there are no health forms to fill out anymore. I cannot remember what the question is that the check-in people ask regarding respiratory issues and how many days prior to the cruise you have had symptoms.  Does anyone know?

FYI I am respecting my health and the health of others.  I have no intention of giving false information and I have travel cancellation insurance. 

Did you ask your doctor if it's OK to travel?  I looked up the incubation period and it's between 1-4 weeks.  Good luck.

I'd ask your physiscan what type of pneumona you have, viral or bacterial and, if you are still contagious. After that I'd ask them if you ought to sail. I suspect you will need this input from your physiscan if you plan to file a claim with your insurer or to detmermine if you are fit to sail. 

Sorry to hear you recently suffered from pneumonia. I hope you’re now feeling much better and will soon be in a position to enjoy a cruise.

On a recent NCL cruise to the Western Caribbean, I don’t recall any questions asked during check-in about respiratory symptoms specifically.

It occurs to me that there are many people who suffer from chronic respiratory symptoms due to conditions that are not contagious — for example, COPD, chronic asthma. 

There may have been a question about having a recent fever — which can be a sign of active infection, whether respiratory or otherwise.

Edited by fondtravel

Thank you. Certainly I will be asking my doctor if I am fit to travel.  I just want to know what Celebrity’s policy is in case my doctor says go ahead but Celebrity’s policy is different. 

As others said I would check with your medical professional on whether you are safe to travel (air and sea).

Don't have a copy of the current questionnaire but it has varied over time.  

The last I saw asked for

1.  Diarrhea or Vomiting within the past 2 days

2.  Within the last 7 days have you or any person shown on your form had any of the following symptoms: Fever and Chills, Cough, Runny Nose or Sore throat. 

It use to have a question that in the past 21 years have you visited Western African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone and/or Guiana.

In the past 21 days have you been in contact with anyone with ebola.

1 hour ago, MizDemeanor said:

Check with your insurer too....if your DR says you are fit to travel and  the cruseline says unpon questionnaire that you are not due to a *cough* what is your recourse? 

Highly unlikely that a cruiser would be denied boarding simply because of a cough,  in the absence of any other symptoms such as a fever. There are many people with a chronic cough who are not in the least contagious. OP needs to let her doctor decide her fitness to travel. AFAIK, the preboarding questionnaire asks about recent GI illnesses and fever.

7 minutes ago, mom says said:

Highly unlikely that a cruiser would be denied boarding simply because of a cough,  in the absence of any other symptoms such as a fever. There are many people with a chronic cough who are not in the least contagious. OP needs to let her doctor decide her fitness to travel. AFAIK, the preboarding questionnaire asks about recent GI illnesses and fever.

Well unless you can assure the guest that tihs is so, cover the bases.

In my experience the cruise line will be less bothered than your doctors. In a preliminary chat on the phone with X, before meeting with my consultant, as long as I had no fever and my doctor had no concerns I was good to go.

However on meeting with my consultant  I was advised not to cruise for at least three months. There were some concerns some of my symptoms could recur and I could need hospitalisation and secondly my resistance to other bugs/infections could be low. I was also advised to keep out of the way of anyone else who was ill. There are a wide range of types and degrees of seriousness of pneumonia so only you personal physician can advise.

Although at the time I was upset to have to rejuggle cruises (Celebrity were great) in hindsight it was the best advice. For several weeks post pneumonia I was tired out....I don’t just mean ‘tired where a relaxing cruise would be a great tonic’ I mean constantly just sleeping....

We rescheduled a cruise for six months later, that way I didn’t feel so much ‘cheated’ out of my cruise, rather that I had simply waited until well enough to enjoy.

Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery....

We got off the Equinox a week ago, and the Infinity the week before that.  One cruise left from Fort Lauderdale and one from Miami.  At neither port were we asked any health related questions.  However, on the Infinity we had friends that were asked if they had any symptoms of illness, and on the Equinox the check-in person next to us asked if anyone had been ill in the past 7 days. Sounds like it is hit or miss.

19 hours ago, mom says said:

My understanding is that usually you answer yes to any of the questions you then have to meet with the ship's doctor who will make the determination if you are able to board.   A recent poster had a son that was having some intestinal problems.   He was allowed to board but was quarantined to his room for 48 hours.   I'm sure any documentation from your doctor would be taken into consideration.

I have never been on a cruise where you did not fill out the health questionnaire.   This includes US, Italian, Spanish, UK, UAE and Australian embarking ports.

On Azamara Journey now, no stomach virus problems, however many of those folks with allergies and chronic sinus problems are hacking away.   Trying to stay 

upwind of them.    The sinus problems and allergies are spreading!   The Captain was on Sick Leave for two days but has returned to duty.    Perhaps more attention should be paid to respiratory problems.

Good luck with your recovery.

Also check with your insurance company that they are happy (in UK) even if our docs say we can travel then the insurance company can (and do) chuck on an extra charge if they think there is a risk of a claim while away. My daughters bf broke his arm 4 days before travel to the US and their travel insurance company charged an extra £100 to allow them to still go and be fully covered.  I thought this was ridiculous as they had already paid for the travel insurance months ahead of the trip.  So when taking out insurance for our trips this year I asked about that scenario when getting quotes (had to get several quotes as  in remission after 7 months in hospital with leukemia  so insurance is both essential and mega £).  Each and every insurance company said they would also need to know if you take ill before travel (from date cover taken to date of travel) and they would decide if they would still insure you (or make you cancel trip - they would pay for cancellation) and if they then also wanted an additional payment to cover for whatever ailment you are reporting to them.  Total rip off I think but apparently allowed (at least in the UK).  So also check in with them even if doc says you can go. 

Edited by fragilek
sp

I had pneumonia in January and cruised in March several years ago. I was hospitalized for a few days and had repeated x rays until my lung cleared. 

I don't not remember any problems with boarding. The cough took ages to go away and you will be exhausted for several weeks. I was almost back to full strength by the cruise. The cruise was a welcome relief and gave me something to look forward to.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:24 PM, jasm8449 said:

First off thank you for your post and it is really nice to see somebody who respects the health of other passengers and who is concerned enough to ask the question.  Some would just go on the cruise.  Anyway best to check with your doctor as others have commented.