Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

17 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes, unfortunately doesn't matter what time yr Cruise/Travel, things happen. I've had half dozen Flights and couple dozen Cruise Port Changes/Canceled over the yrs. Many due to Hurricanes, some months after from damaged Piers. But also Mechanical, Medical emergencies and even Rebels and high Crime. In a short couple yr period my planes had flat tire(2 times), inop bathrooms, electrical issues, cracked windshield causing us land at different airport and once slip off concrete and stuck in deep snow. Did get thousands dollars towards future flights and Cruise OBC but few times only free drinks for 2hrs. Too bad I don't drink... Hopefully this wont effect too many Cruises and passengers

LOL sometimes you do start to feel like you've upset the universe when it all starts to seem to go off course!

I drink but am not driven to drinking by events, just enjoy craft beer and occasional mixed drinks (those more when traveling and said beer options are not palatable to me).  But life along the way has taught me sometimes I have to cause the upheaval and deal a fallout and sometimes I am the one who has to deal with what's been dealt - I try not to take anything for granted and try not to bury my head in the sand.  Adulting 🙂

5 minutes ago, buoycruiser said:

Where can I find which ships are scheduled to use this Freeport dry dock after this?

Not readily available.  There are some cruise ship "renovation" sites out there that list all the ship's potential or scheduled drydocks, but whether the ship needs dock #2 or not is not mentioned.  It can also be that there are several commercial ships scheduled in the dock before the next cruise ship.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Celebrity Equinox is scheduled for a month long dry dock end of this month.

Can't say what is scheduled, but Equinox could fit in dock #3 (longer, but narrower than #2), depending on her displacement tonnage.  Dock #3 can lift 50,000 tons, which is probably pretty close to the displacement of a cruise ship with 125,000 gross tons.

2 minutes ago, Rhymanocerous said:

I'm supposed to be on the sailing this Sunday. Assuming they cancel (which seems likely) will RCCL reimburse airfare as well? I assume there is part precedent for something like this. 

Welcome to CC.

Unlikely you'll get much above a refund - the usual is $100-200 OBC, and flight change fees but not reimbursement. Not sure there's much to offer in terms of an alternative - very likely every ship this weekend is sold out.

Edited by Biker19

4 minutes ago, Rhymanocerous said:

I'm supposed to be on the sailing this Sunday. Assuming they cancel (which seems likely) will RCCL reimburse airfare as well? I assume there is part precedent for something like this. 

They generally don't refund all the airfare.  Normally only change fees.

14 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

LOL sometimes you do start to feel like you've upset the universe when it all starts to seem to go off course!

I drink but am not driven to drinking by events, just enjoy craft beer and occasional mixed drinks (those more when traveling and said beer options are not palatable to me).  But life along the way has taught me sometimes I have to cause the upheaval and deal a fallout and sometimes I am the one who has to deal with what's been dealt - I try not to take anything for granted and try not to bury my head in the sand.  Adulting 🙂

Not judging, just dont drink. Forgot to mention above, was on Cruise with kids, single Dad raising 3 young ones SOLO at time, and we got home after midnite on 9/11. Shortly after we went to Florida the week Anthrax scare, I wasn't but family was. Post 9/11 took us almost 4 hrs to check baggage in at Airport. Went to Orlando Parks, they'd just started checking all bags, bottles and even Jacket pockets to enter. Even wanding everyone with Metal detectors What a mess. Then got off Cruise heading back out of MIA same day Shoe Bomber had lit his off while heading there. "What, take me shoes off? Ok" and very long Security line...With other stuff I listed above many ask when/where I'm traveling to avoid me...

Just now, Rhymanocerous said:

Did you book airfare through Air2Sea? 

When they canceled Navigator at the end of February with 11 days notice they offered $200 airline change fee allowance per guest.  With most US airlines if you cancel a non-refundable fare you retain some portion of the ticket value for future use while losing some ticket value to change fees.  Unclear what they might offer in this situation, it isn't very commonplace.

Many of us have questions about upcoming sailings but they need time to fully assess the situation and create a plan to move forward.  With large cranes looming at odd angles it isn't exactly a safe place to work at the moment.  All we can do is wait.  

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/giant-crane-collapse-injures-eight-at-grand-bahama-shipyard.html

UBS speculates on possible EPS impact

'It seems likely that two weeks of sailings could be canceled if the ship has to be moved to another yard to finish its scheduled drydock,' UBS said in a note to investors, adding that Royal Caribbean would likely compensate passengers to the tune of what could be equivalent to almost another sailing.

Worst-case scenario

'We estimate that four weeks of lost revenue on the 5,400-berth Oasis could add up to 12 cents to 15 cents per share, which would be about 1-2% of FY earnings and about 5-6% of Q2 EPS—and that seems like a worst-case scenario,' UBS analyst Robin Farley said.

'We would think it likely that the yard insurance covers the cost of any damage and that the yard insurance may even be responsible for some of the canceled sailings since they were contracted to have the ship back in service,' Farley added. 'So we emphasize that our estimate of EPS impact, which is fairly immaterial to the full year, may be a more negative scenario than the actual impact once insurance coverage is resolved.'

9 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not judging, just dont drink. Forgot to mention above, was on Cruise with kids, single Dad raising 3 young ones SOLO at time, and we got home after midnite on 9/11. Shortly after we went to Florida the week Anthrax scare, I wasn't but family was. Post 9/11 took us almost 4 hrs to check baggage in at Airport. Went to Orlando Parks, they'd just started checking all bags, bottles and even Jacket pockets to enter. Even wanding everyone with Metal detectors What a mess. Then got off Cruise heading back out of MIA same day Shoe Bomber had lit his off while heading there. "What, take me shoes off? Ok" and very long Security line...With other stuff I listed above many ask when/where I'm traveling to avoid me...

LOL, sorry, and I know I joked to make sure you wouldn't be on our Indy cruise but truly I'd welcome being on board if you were - I know we could share combat stories of single parenting 3 kids, likely in the same years.  You make some of my travel plights seem like a walk in the park!  I'll buy you a soda 🙂 You wear them well 🙂

I would speculate that RCCL would rather cancel the upcoming TransAtlantic voyage and use that time for repairs if they are able to sail the next 2 "local" cruisings. Remember, it wasn't in for "repairs". It was in for scheduled routine maintenance. 

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Did you book airfare through Air2Sea? 

When they canceled Navigator at the end of February with 11 days notice they offered $200 airline change fee allowance per guest.  With most US airlines if you cancel a non-refundable fare you retain some portion of the ticket value for future use while losing some ticket value to change fees.  Unclear what they might offer in this situation, it isn't very commonplace.

Many of us have questions about upcoming sailings but they need time to fully assess the situation and create a plan to move forward.  With large cranes looming at odd angles it isn't exactly a safe place to work at the moment.  All we can do is wait.  

I didn't but I just checked and if I have to cancel the change fee would be $342 for the both of us, so $200 per person would cover us. 

There are a few leaving from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale on the same day that I might try to switch to if this ends up getting canceled. We're very flexible with travel so it might be possible. 

1 minute ago, ezelaya said:

I would speculate that RCCL would rather cancel the upcoming TransAtlantic voyage and use that time for repairs if they are able to sail the next 2 "local" cruisings. Remember, it wasn't in for "repairs". It was in for scheduled routine maintenance. 

Surely it was in for azipod repairs prior to TA?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Some people have been known to book a sail date anticipating it will cancel to get the FCC from it.  

Most likely a safeguard on their part to minimize losses.

Except that in this case you are after final payment.  It’s a pretty big risk to take as you’d be out money if Royal never cancelled the cruise.  

5 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

It still needs to make it across the pond and I doubt they would do it empty.

• Like 1

I am scheduled to sail on Oasis of the Seas on 2 June 2019 out of Barcelona. I know the ship is currently in dry dock. Do you guys think the ship will be ready to sail by 2 June? 

I already bought my airfare and the cruise has already been paid. Should I be concern? 

Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, ezelaya said:

Can’t see that the sort of damage here is something they could put up with for 2 weeks.  Would be amazed to see this carry passengers on Sunday.

also, if they cancel TA to do repairs, that would just have a knock on affect to the sailings after the TA.  Still takes most of the planned time to cross to Europe after all.

Edited by rattla

6 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Surely it was in for azipod repairs prior to TA?

Not for repairs. Scheduled maintenance. They cancelled the cruise for March 31st back in December of 2018 which means this wasn't an urgent matter, just a preparation for the TA. My best guess, thinking in a business mindset, is you do the 2 local cruises , send it for repairs locally (you don't need a dry dock for bearing replacement, can be done underwater), repair any cosmetic issues, and then board up for your trip TA. Yes, the 14 day cruise may be pushed back, but it makes more business sense to use that time for repairs. 

2 minutes ago, Diem_1200 said:

I am scheduled to sail on Oasis of the Seas on 2 June 2019 out of Barcelona. I know the ship is currently in dry dock. Do you guys think the ship will be ready to sail by 2 June? 

I already bought my airfare and the cruise has already been paid. Should I be concern? 

Thanks! 

No info yet.  Keep watching this thread.

2 minutes ago, rattla said:

Can’t see that the sort of damage here is something they could put up with for 2 weeks.  Would be amazed to see this carry passengers on Sunday.

also, if they cancel TA to do repairs, that would just have a knock on affect to the sailings after the TA.  Still takes most of the planned time to cross to Europe after all.

They've sailed with the AquaTheater lift being broken for 1+ weeks, they've sailed with a single Azipod out of service for several months, Norwegian sailed with a gash in its hull after destroying a dock and the list goes on. Closing the AquaTheater and inconveniencing one or 2 ATS guests is better than losing out millions on an already fully sold out cruise. 

• Like 1